[comp.sys.mac.misc] Epsons on Mac

khl@doc.ic.ac.uk (Kang Ho Lee) (12/08/90)

Hi,
   If anyone actually using an Epson or compatible printer on the Mac please
kindly tell me their experience and the type/name of driver they are using.
   Thanx :-)

--
 Kang Ho LEE                       email  : khl@doc.ic.ac.uk
 Department of Computing           address: 180 Queens Gate

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/10/90)

In article <2637@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> khl@doc.ic.ac.uk (Kang Ho Lee) writes:
> If anyone actually using an Epson or compatible printer on the Mac please
> kindly tell me their experience and the type/name of driver they are using.

I am using an Epson EPL-6000 laser printer on a Mac IIsi.  I use the
MacPrint software to drive the printer.  I believe that MacPrint has
drivers available for most Epson dot-matrix-printers.  MacPrint has a
chooser-level driver--try to avoid any printer drivers that are not chooser
level drivers.  The MacPrint set-up is a bit slow, but it is much cheaper
than postscript machines.

The quality of the printing when using a HP compatible printer is not
up to what it should be (text looks a bit ragged and uneven), but it
sure beats the output from an ImageWriter II by about 200 miles.  I
plan to get Freedom Of The Press Light as a personal christmas present.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gene Moreau) (12/13/90)

In article <2637@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> khl@doc.ic.ac.uk (Kang Ho Lee) writes:
>   If anyone actually using an Epson or compatible printer on the Mac please
>kindly tell me their experience and the type/name of driver they are using.

I'm using an Epson Spectrum LX-80. I've got an Grapler interface for it,  The interface emulate the imagewriter, so  the only driver that you need is the
Image Write one thaty comes with the System Software.
I've had no ptoblems what so ever with it and would recomend it.

Gene Moreau.
+  Computer Science - University of Manitoba                              +
+  ummorea0@ccu.umanitoba.ca                                              +
+  All things are possible except skiing thru a revolving door.           +

kpottie@icarus.cs.kuleuven.ac.be (Pottie Karl) (12/14/90)

There seems to be a large demand for info about connecting an Epson
to a Mac. I wrote an article about the Grappler LQ about a year ago,
and it's available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu via ftp:
    info-mac/report/grappler-lq.txt

Hope this helps