[comp.sys.mac.misc] Default Printer Patch for Chooser

fs285119@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) (12/06/90)

One of the things that I would like to see is a program that runs, or a
patch for Chooser that defaults to a certain printer no matter what was
previously chosen last time printing happened.

For example:  Use this program to select a default printer, lets say a
Laserwriter IINT for instance.

The user goes in and wants to print out on the color laser printer so he
opens chooser and switches to that printer.  Now, after printing the color
document the user wants to print out on the normal LW IINT.  But after the
previous print job to the Color printer, the chooser AUTOMATICALLY switches
back to the default LW IINT so the user does not have to change it back.

The reason I would like something like this is because we have a big network
where I work with three or four printers including a colormate PS 300DPI
printer.  The color printer is very expensive to print to ($100.00 ribbon
which is good for only 200 pages {thats $0.50 per page}) and people are
constantly forgetting to reset the chooser to the laserwriter IINT and thus
printing out Black and white text to thcolor printer.

If anybody knows of a program out there that already does this, I would
appreciate you letting me know.

I seem to remember that there was a new Chooser available for a set cost
from some University in the midWest area of the US.  Could someone send me
info on who to contact about that too

Thanx for your time,

Scott.
--
Scott Cherkofsky	                         "When the world comes to its
The George Washington University		 end, due to our mucking about

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (12/15/90)

In article <2403@sparko.gwu.edu> fs285119@seas.gwu.edu (Scott Cherkofsky) writes:
>One of the things that I would like to see is a program that runs, or a
>patch for Chooser that defaults to a certain printer no matter what was
>previously chosen last time printing happened.

I wrote an FKEY that does what you want. It lets you set a default printer
and also displays the current printer. Its very handy. after you invoke the
fkey it brings up a dialog box showing the current printer selected and
the stored (default) printer. If you want the current printer to be the
default, the you save the current printer. If you want to set it to the
default then you click the Set printer button.

Let me know if you want a copy.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com