[comp.sys.mac.misc] Reading Mac floppies on DOS

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) (12/15/90)

Now I know there is an INIT that allows you to mount DOS formatted
floppies, and you can use Apple File Exchange to read files from DOS
floppies as well, but my question is whether there is anything for
those poor souls using a DOS machine which will enable them to read
data from a Macintosh formatted disk?

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (12/17/90)

ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:

>Now I know there is an INIT that allows you to mount DOS formatted
>floppies, and you can use Apple File Exchange to read files from DOS
>floppies as well, but my question is whether there is anything for
>those poor souls using a DOS machine which will enable them to read
>data from a Macintosh formatted disk?

Answer: Yes. Apparently the Copy II PC board and software will allow
a 1.44Mb drive to read Mac 800k (& 1.2Mb??) disks on a PC. So a friend
tells me who has done this (I saw him do it!), altho' I don't know
the techie details.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec17.024659.27475@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) writes:
>ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
>> Is there a way to read mac floppies on (shudder, gasp, choke, puke...) IBM?
>Answer: Yes. Apparently the Copy II PC board and software will allow
>a 1.44Mb drive to read Mac 800k (& 1.2Mb??) disks on a PC. So a friend
                                    ^^^^^^^
>tells me who has done this (I saw him do it!), altho' I don't know
>the techie details.

Close.  The Mac high density floppies are 1.40 MB. Interesting how they
couldn't fit an extra .04 MB on the newer format.  I wonder how stuff
like tracks per inch, tracks on disk, sectors per track, track/data density,
etc. compares between the Mac 1.40 SuperDrives and the (shudder) IBM 1.44
drives.  Anyone got any answers?

Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (12/17/90)

In article <9830@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Burr) writes:
>In article <1990Dec17.024659.27475@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) writes:
>>ckoch@soul.UUCP (Chriss Koch) writes:
>>> Is there a way to read mac floppies on (shudder, gasp, choke, puke...) IBM?
>>Answer: Yes. Apparently the Copy II PC board and software will allow
>>a 1.44Mb drive to read Mac 800k (& 1.2Mb??) disks on a PC. So a friend
>                                    ^^^^^^^
>>tells me who has done this (I saw him do it!), altho' I don't know
>>the techie details.
>

>Close.  The Mac high density floppies are 1.40 MB. Interesting how they
>couldn't fit an extra .04 MB on the newer format.  I wonder how stuff
>like tracks per inch, tracks on disk, sectors per track, track/data density,
>etc. compares between the Mac 1.40 SuperDrives and the (shudder) IBM 1.44
>drives.  Anyone got any answers?

My disk has 1440K--after formatting and putting the file system on, it has
1416K free (just like an "800K" disk has 780K free after the file system is
on).  On a side note Kennect (who makes the Rapport product) gets 2.4 meg
on the high density floppies by combining the GCR and MFM formatting methods
using regular high density drives.

Mark

--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

In article <9830@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Donald Burr) writes:

>Close.  The Mac high density floppies are 1.40 MB. Interesting how they
>couldn't fit an extra .04 MB on the newer format.  I wonder how stuff
>like tracks per inch, tracks on disk, sectors per track, track/data density,
>etc. compares between the Mac 1.40 SuperDrives and the (shudder) IBM 1.44
>drives.  Anyone got any answers?

This doesn't make sense-- the SuperDrive format and the MS-DOS format are
identical:

                 Capacity    TSS      SD       # of     # of     # of
    Format       in blocks   valid    or DD    Sides    Sectors  Tracks
   1440K MFM(2,3)  2880      yes      DD        2       18       80

mdunn@reed.UUCP (Marvin Dunn) (12/18/90)

Central Point makes a board called the Deluxe Option Board.  Placed in
a DOS machine with a 3 1/2 inch drive it will format, copy, read, and
write Macintosh disks.  It lists for about $150 meaning it should be
available for about $105-110.  I don't know of any translators, however,
on the DOS side like MacLinkPlus.  In order words, the Deluxe Option
Board only allows you to move ASCII files back and forth.

--
Marv Dunn, Computer User Services
Reed College    mdunn@reed.bitnet           tektronix!reed!mdunn