[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Geneology

www@sppy00.UUCP (Victor Shakapopolis) (12/13/90)

Quite awhile ago Brian Leverich posted to comp.sys.mac about a geneology
program called Roots III.  He refered to it as...

}COMMSOFT up in the Bay Area somewhere publishes Roots III, which is
}arguably the cadillac of genealogy packages.  If you buy it from them it
}will cost around $300 (depending on what utilities you order), but you
}can save $50 by ordering from one of the mail order catalogues.

}I used PAF until I had about 2500 people on file, then switched to Roots
}because I wanted the fancy footnoting and book-generating features it has.
}(That's right - Roots III will turn your data into a formatted,
}publishable family history...)

Well I've been searching high and low for a phone number or some sort of
reference to this company.  Does it still exist?  I'd love to get more
information on Roots III but I can't find anything.

What are some of the better Macintosh geneology programs?  I need one that
prints nice family trees in a tree style format.  Lester Productions
(717) 697-1378 has a hypercard stack called 'Reunion' which printed very
nice trees (in their flyers anyway :-)) but I'd like to check out all the
packages before I make a purchase.  Other features would be text data
(wills) and maps, kind of a family history.  I'm no expert on this so I'd
very much like some help, like features I should consider but am
currently unaware of.

Thanks in advance...
--

  William W. White                   {att|pyramid|killer}!osu-cis!sppy00!www
  ****    These are my views, not my employer's (standard disclaimer)   ****

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (12/15/90)

www@sppy00.UUCP (Victor Shakapopolis) writes:
>Quite awhile ago Brian Leverich posted to comp.sys.mac about a geneology
>program called Roots III.  He refered to it as...
>}COMMSOFT up in the Bay Area somewhere publishes Roots III, which is
>Well I've been searching high and low for a phone number or some sort of
>reference to this company.  Does it still exist?  I'd love to get more
>information on Roots III but I can't find anything.

Roots III is published for the IBM PC by Commsoft of Mountain View,
California.  That should be enough to get you started.

>What are some of the better Macintosh geneology programs?

The best by far, IMHO, is PAF.  It's available from the Mormon Church,
but isn't Mormon specific (i.e. you can turn off the Mormon specific
fields.)  Most of the other programs are ports of MS-DOS programs and
suffer from the usual horrible user interfaces, or are quick hacks by
someone who didn't spend a lot of time doing it.  PAF is $35 by phone by
dialing 800-537-5950 in the US, or 801-240-2584.

--Brian Bechtel     blob@apple.com     "My opinion, not Apple's"

man@cs.brown.edu (Mark H. Nodine) (12/18/90)

I have been using Family Roots by Quinsept for a number of years.
Until recently, I would not have recommended it, but they have
made so many improvements both in user interface and speed that
I now think it's competitive with other packages.  The really
great thing about it is that it is very customizable.  And now
it no longer betrays its PC ancestry so glaringly.

	--Mark