[comp.sys.mac.misc] Green On Black

shawn@mit-eddie (Shawn F. Mckay) (12/08/90)

Greetings, I wonder if someone could help me with a slight problem I'm
having. I like the way NCSA Telnet can create a multi-color window, and
it seems silly to be to have to strain my eyes with black on white when
I have a high-res color display.

Now, telnet'ing to my mac may be a neat idea, but the right thing to do
would probably be to find out how to change the default for window
creation under MacOs.

With some luck, someone has done this, and they will have mercy and
send me a pointer. The other option, is that someone has written
something to change the colors of an active window, (also acceptable,
though not nearly as nice), and they might have the mercy to send
me their program or a pointer.

The last option, is if someone is something to at least make MINIX create
a large green on black window for me, which would make my day since I spend
most of my time in MINIX on the mac anyway.

I will poke around myself, but from what I have seen, my head is going to
be killing me long before I find the right way to change this stuff on the
mac. Help? :-)

					Thanks Much!
					  -- Shawn

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/15/90)

Shawn F. Mckay writes in a message on 07 Dec 90 to All:

SFM> I like the way NCSA Telnet can create a multi-color window, and
SFM> it seems silly to be to have to strain my eyes with black on
SFM> white when I have a high-res color display.

Ya know, I never understood this problem.  Eye strain reading a black-on-white
display???  Do _books_ give you eye strain????

sheesh.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Rebel Without A Clue) (12/17/90)

In article <114779.276BD05A@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>Shawn F. Mckay writes in a message on 07 Dec 90 to All:
>
>SFM> I like the way NCSA Telnet can create a multi-color window, and
>SFM> it seems silly to be to have to strain my eyes with black on
>SFM> white when I have a high-res color display.
>
>Ya know, I never understood this problem.  Eye strain reading a black-on-white
>display???  Do _books_ give you eye strain????
>
>sheesh.
>
>--Adam--
>
>--
>Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
>UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix
>INET: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

	Yes, they do. Quite a lot of people, especially math/science/computer
types, wear glasses due to the prodigious amount of reading they do. It
isn't that hard to comprehend.
	Asking the Net a question is fine, but try to have more sensitivity
about how you present it.

	And if that was a rhetorical question aimed at ridicule, then
buzz off.

Jim
--
James "Rebel Without A Clue" Deane          Institute for Astronomy
deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu                2680 Woodlawn Dr

RMG3@psuvm.psu.edu (12/17/90)

In article <10693@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Rebel
Without A Clue) says:

>        Yes, they do. Quite a lot of people, especially math/science/computer
>types, wear glasses due to the prodigious amount of reading they do. It
>isn't that hard to comprehend.
>        Asking the Net a question is fine, but try to have more sensitivity
>about how you present it.

>        And if that was a rhetorical question aimed at ridicule, then
>buzz off.

  Perhaps you should be taking your own advice about sensitivity.  According
to my own unnamed source (I forget, my optometrist I believe) the notion that
reading is a cause of people wearing glasses is nonsense.  Urban mythology
if you prefer.  If you have a source for your statement and attack, please
name it.

Bob Grumbine  a.k.a. rmg3@psuvm.psu.edu
"It is much easier to hold an opinion than to defend it"  Author?

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/18/90)

In article <114779.276BD05A@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG>
           Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
> Shawn F. Mckay writes in a message on 07 Dec 90 to All:
>
> SFM> I like the way NCSA Telnet can create a multi-color window, and
> SFM> it seems silly to be to have to strain my eyes with black on
> SFM> white when I have a high-res color display.
>
> Ya know, I never understood this problem.  Eye strain reading a
> black-on-white display???  Do _books_ give you eye strain????

answer #1: Yes, if you read them 8 hours a day, 5 days or 6 days a week.

answer #2: A terminal display is not the same as a book, it's more like
staring at a light bulb.  The writing on a light bulb is black on white
too (except that it's a brigher white), try staring at a light bulb for
eight hours and see what shape your eyes are in.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu