[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac detecting monitors

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (12/17/90)

I was in a Mac shop the other day, and I watched as the guy in the
store swapped monitors on the Macs present.  I was amazed when the
system software appeared to automatically open the screen to the
correct screen size!  Being used to Amigas, were you have to set
preferences to your monitor type, I am wondering how the machine
knows what monitor is attached.  How is this done, or was I just
blind??

--
Matt Crowd       Amiga Man
Email Address    glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au

In article <1990Dec17.101821.7517@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:
>I was in a Mac shop the other day, and I watched as the guy in the
>store swapped monitors on the Macs present.  I was amazed when the
>system software appeared to automatically open the screen to the
>correct screen size!  Being used to Amigas, were you have to set
>preferences to your monitor type, I am wondering how the machine
>knows what monitor is attached.  How is this done, or was I just
>blind??

1) Sleight of hand
2) The guy switched video cards too
3) The card had 'mode sense' hardware, and either the monitor or the cable had
a few diodes in it telling the card what size it was.

barr@Apple.COM (Ron Barr) (12/18/90)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:

>In article <1990Dec17.101821.7517@marlin.jcu.edu.au> glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) writes:
>>I was in a Mac shop the other day, and I watched as the guy in the
>>store swapped monitors on the Macs present.  I was amazed when the
>>system software appeared to automatically open the screen to the
>>correct screen size!  Being used to Amigas, were you have to set
>>preferences to your monitor type, I am wondering how the machine
>>knows what monitor is attached.  How is this done, or was I just
>>blind??

>1) Sleight of hand
>2) The guy switched video cards too
>3) The card had 'mode sense' hardware, and either the monitor or the cable had
>a few diodes in it telling the card what size it was.

Actually, all Mac II's sold today and all Apple video cards detect
the size of the monitor from the signals on the cable and configure
themselves accordingly.

Pretty neat, huh?

Ron