[comp.sys.mac.misc] CD-ROM Solutions

mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis) (12/17/90)

Has anyone else checked out the possibility of a special interface for
regular audio CD players to allow them to be interfaced with computer
systems as CD ROM players?

I ask this because I've been noticing a lot of ads for the NEC Access CD
ROM player.  It looks suspiciously similar to a lot of the portable
audio CD players I see (and own).  I have a Toshiba portable (with wire and
wireless remote ability), 4x oversampling, etc.  (I'm giving details about
its features, because I can't recall the model number off hand).

The basic design of my Toshiba looks a lot like the NEC player.  And I
see how the NEC player comes with an "interface kit".  From the ads I've
seen, it isn't clear if this interface kit is to convert the NEC from a
standard audio player to a computer-interfaced unit, or the other way
around.  This interface kit sells for about $72 through mail order houses.

What is this interface?  Could it be adapted to a player like my Toshiba
to provide CD-ROM ability?

--Morgan

UUCP: crash!pro-sol!mdavis           AOL, BIX: mdavis
ARPA: crash!pro-sol!mdavis@nosc.mil  GEnie:    m.davis42
INET: mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com         ProLine:  mdavis@pro-sol

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (12/18/90)

In article <6362@crash.cts.com> mdavis@pro-sol.cts.com (Morgan Davis)
writes:
> Has anyone else checked out the possibility of a special interface for
> regular audio CD players to allow them to be interfaced with computer
> systems as CD ROM players?

I'm no expert, but I can't resist shooting off my mouth anyway. :-)

One reason CD-ROM decks cost more than audio CD players is that the
reader-head transport (or whatever it's called - I mean the motors and
mechanism that move the laser lens) has to be much more robust in a CD-ROM
machine. Audio decks don't do much seeking, and they don't do it very
fast. CD-ROM decks must seek vigorously throughout their lifetime.

Any adapter that puts a SCSI interface on an audio player isn't going to
address that problem. I think you'd just wind up sending the poor audio
deck to an early grave.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."