[comp.sys.mac.misc] Shipping from USA to Canada

pmbergland@violet.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) (12/13/90)

Well, since I couldn't find an appropriate newsgroup - here goes:

I have to ship a computer (read 3 boxes - monitor + keybooard + system)
from San Fransisco to Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
My problem is that I have to take it through customs myself, i.e. I cannot
use a customs broker.

Question:
Does there exist a shipping firm (not overnight delivery) that has a depot
in either Niagara Falls (US) or Buffalo and lets you pick it up yourself from
there?
(I called UPS, but they only ship directly to persons, and I don't know
anybody close enough in the States)

Alternatively, is there a firm that ships stuff to your local customs instead
of directly at the border? (No, UPS doesn't do this)

Any reply would be most bodacious

--
The ultimate proof:

% ar m God
ar: God does not exist

mdapoz@hybrid.UUCP (Mark Dapoz) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec12.195623.26764@watdragon.waterloo.edu> pmbergland@violet.waterloo.edu (Per Bergland) writes:
>I have to ship a computer (read 3 boxes - monitor + keybooard + system)
>from San Fransisco to Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
>My problem is that I have to take it through customs myself, i.e. I cannot
>use a customs broker.

Why?  Just let the couriers do it for you.  They charge a reasonable fee,
something like $10-$15 and it saves a lot of hassles.

>Question:
>Does there exist a shipping firm (not overnight delivery) that has a depot
>in either Niagara Falls (US) or Buffalo and lets you pick it up yourself from
>there?
>(I called UPS, but they only ship directly to persons, and I don't know
>anybody close enough in the States)

I've shipped complete computers up from the US via UPS and it wasn't much
of a hassle.  If you ship it surface it will enter Canada via Windsor where
it will get stopped by the UPS brokers there.  They will then contact you by
phone regarding the duty & taxes owing.  Once you agree to pay the duty and
tax they will deliver it to the Canadian destination where you will have to
pay upon delivery.

--
Managing a software development team 	|   Mark Dapoz
is a lot like being on the psychiatric	|   mdapoz%hybrid@cs.toronto.edu