[comp.sys.mac.misc] ToMultiFinder and SuperSpool

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (12/16/90)

In article <138@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:

>Well, it appears that the culprit was a shareware INIT called "ToMultiFinder."

	It's not an INIT, it's a startup application.

>Just before you go to the desktop, this init presents a screen asking you to
>determine whether you want to run Finder or MulstiFinder, and if you want any
>particular applications launched.  Well, if SuperSpool doesn't know which
>whether you're running Finder or MultiFinder after it loads, it gets "confused."
>This results in printing problems with MultiFinder for some reason.

	The problem is in SuperSpool getting confused, not in ToMultiFinder.
When SuperSpool sees a startup application other than Finder or MultiFinder,
it puts up an alert which asks you to tell it which of the two you're going
to be using. The problem is, this alert comes and goes within a second, and
unless you click the mouse while it's up (which keeps it on the screen for
a while), you'll never get a chance to indicate which you're running.

	I talked to SuperMac about this problem ages ago, particularly
about the totally gross UI aspect of having to react within half a second
to this dialog that flashes on the screen, and they acknowledged the
problem, but haven't been forthcoming with a change.

	(I also wonder why SuperSpool really cares whether MultiFinder
is running or not - the gospel is that correctly-written software shouldn't
have to know...)

R.

 Rich Siegel	Symantec Languages Group  Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu

"...she's dressed in yellow, she says 'Hello, come sit next to me, you
fine fellow..."

kam@dlogics.COM (Kevin Mitchell) (12/18/90)

In article <5076@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) writes:
> 	(I also wonder why SuperSpool really cares whether MultiFinder
> is running or not - the gospel is that correctly-written software shouldn't
> have to know...)

The SuperSpool and SuperLaserSpool allocate permanent space for the spool program
and work area under Finder. Under Multifinder, they launch the spool program
as necessary, so you don't have to commit the memory to it all the time.

--
Kevin A. Mitchell                (312) 266-4485
Datalogics, Inc                  Internet: kam@dlogics.UUCP