[comp.sys.mac.misc] Inserting postscript into word

sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) (12/18/90)

I've got a postscript file on my sun which is a screendump of an X
window.  As far as I can tell, its a well formed epsf file.  I don't
want to just paste it into the word file in the postscript style
because then I won't be able to have hidden text visible anymore (I
could leave hidden text visible, but then I'd have 5 pages of "junk"
in the middle of my document).  What I'd like to do is somehow paste a
combined pict/epsf file like illustrator produces.  I.e. on the screen
I'd see a quickdraw picture, but printing would use the epsf. Is there
any program which will do what I want?  Is there another clean way to
stick a large postscript graphic in the middle of word file without
having to either 1) give up on hidden text or 2) "deal with" a bunch
of junk in the middle of the document?

Thanks for any help,
Steve
DOMAIN: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu                     MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab
USMAIL: Steven Chanin, 545 Technology Square Rm. 827, Cambridge Ma 02139
PHONE : (617) 253-8963

robertw@informix.com (Rob Weinberg) (12/19/90)

In article <SBCHANIN.90Dec17213925@nut-and-honey.ai.mit.edu> sbchanin@ai.mit.edu writes:

>I've got a postscript file on my sun which is a screendump of an X
>window.  As far as I can tell, its a well formed epsf file.

>What I'd like to do is somehow paste a
>combined pict/epsf file like illustrator produces.  I.e. on the screen
>I'd see a quickdraw picture, but printing would use the epsf.

You may already hold the answer to your own question.

Why don't you try importing the EPS file into Illustrator, then copying
the graphic with the option-key, then pasting into your Scrapbook.
With Illustrator-generated graphics, this saves the combined
QuickDraw/epsf graphic, which can then be pasted into WORD from the
Scrapbook. It may work for an EPS graphic that has been imported into
Illustrator, as well.

I haven't tried this myself with an eps, though! :>)