[comp.sys.mac.misc] Multiuser Database Support/Software

v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) (12/11/90)

Hi all..

A company I'm working with is looking to purchase database software for their
Mac that supports a multi-user environment, most likely AppleShare running off
either an SE/30 or a II.  With this software we will develop numerous
integrated programs including donation-tracking, billing, listener surveying
and many other functions (this is for a public radio station in the area).

Could anyone recommend any good database software for the Mac and offer pros
and cons for/against one or another?  If you think the info. might be useful to
anyone else, please don't hesitate to post to the net.. otherwise just reply to
me.

Thanks in advance!

--Danielle

P.S.  We've heard that FoxBase+Mac crashes a lot.. anyone else hear that?

hedlund@reed.UUCP (Marc Hedlund) (12/12/90)

In <50479@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) writes:

>A company I'm working with is looking to purchase database software for their
>Mac that supports a multi-user environment, most likely AppleShare running off
>either an SE/30 or a II.  With this software we will develop numerous
>integrated programs including donation-tracking, billing, listener surveying
>and many other functions (this is for a public radio station in the area).

>Could anyone recommend any good database software for the Mac and offer pros
>and cons for/against one or another?  If you think the info. might be useful to
>anyone else, please don't hesitate to post to the net.. otherwise just reply to
>me.

>P.S.  We've heard that FoxBase+Mac crashes a lot.. anyone else hear that?

I have used Double Helix, 4th Dimension, and FoxBase; my most extensive use
has been of Double Helix.  I would not recommend FoxBase on any terms.  Double
Helix is a fine program, especially when it comes to customization of the
working environment for data entry; it is very easy to provide a highly user-
friendly environment for those uncomfortable with computers or whatever.  It
has extended on-line help, and is quite reasonable to learn how to program.  I
have been very satisfied with their support phone lines.  I have not used 4th
Dimension overly much, but it does seem a very powerful program, perhaps moreso
than Helix.  The grapevine here at Reed greatly prefers 4th Dimension; the
only complaints I have heard are about support and documentation.  Both 4th
and Helix are availible in "run-time" programs, allowing the user to make
use of a customized database without having to have the ability to program it.
If you can find someone to program 4th Dimension for you, or a patient person
willing to learn, go for that; otherwise, I would recommend helix.

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Martin) (12/13/90)

In article <15778@reed.UUCP> hedlund@reed.UUCP (Marc Hedlund) writes:
>In <50479@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v067qklp@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Danielle T Mazzotta) writes:
>
>>A company I'm working with is looking to purchase database software for their
>>Mac that supports a multi-user environment, most likely AppleShare running off
>>either an SE/30 or a II.  With this software we will develop numerous
>>integrated programs including donation-tracking, billing, listener surveying
>>and many other functions (this is for a public radio station in the area).
>
>>Could anyone recommend any good database software for the Mac and offer pros
>>and cons for/against one or another?  If you think the info. might be useful to
>>anyone else, please don't hesitate to post to the net.. otherwise just reply to
>>me.
>
>>P.S.  We've heard that FoxBase+Mac crashes a lot.. anyone else hear that?

4th Dimension is probably the most powerful microcomputer database
develpment environment available for micros. Simple applications
similar to those you might develop in filemaker, can can be developed
in just a few hours. However, taking advantage of 4Ds extensive command
set requires working through a very steep learning curve. If you go
with 4D, find a good consultant.

Best regards,

    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    1103 9th Avenue, Suite 203
    Honolulu, Hawai`i 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

INTERNET: martin@medix.pegasus.com, bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
ARPA: uhccux!bmartin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!bmartin

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/19/90)

hedlund@reed.UUCP (Marc Hedlund) writes in a message on 12 Dec 90:

MH> I have used Double Helix, 4th Dimension, and FoxBase; my most
MH> extensive use has been of Double Helix. I would not recommend
MH> FoxBase on any terms

That's fine as far as you went, but you went not nearly far enough.  Mind expanding
on this sentiment for the net?  Why would you not recommend FoxBase on any terms?

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix