[comp.sys.mac.misc] Keyboard Control of the Mac

gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) (12/12/90)

This idea just hit me...well was sort of forced on me.

My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight.

So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

--
Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
>This idea just hit me...well was sort of forced on me.
>
>My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
>part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
>gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
>your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight.
>
>So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
>New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
>the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

  The System 7 Finder allows type selecting of icons in a folder.  At any rate,
you can always use Easy Access to move around until you get your mouse
fixed... :)

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
> This idea just hit me...well was sort of forced on me.
>
> My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
> part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
> gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
> your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight.
>
> So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
> New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
> the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

It's already available - if you have the Easy Access init in the system
folder, you can do mouse actions from the keyboard (I leave it to you to work
out how to install it _after_ the mouse has broken).
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (12/12/90)

In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
>My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
>part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
>gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
>your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight.
>
>So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
>New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
>the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?
>--
>Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)

>Hey, wanna save the world? | Got sumtin' to say?        gross@umiami.bitnet
>Nuke a Godless, Communist, | Pick and choose!     gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu
>gay whale for Christ.      |                      gross@miavax.ir.miami.edu
>              - Anonymous  |                     jgross@umbio.med.miami.edu

Um, This sounds like a job for . . .         Easy Access!

Included in the system software, and well documented, I had to use this
for a little while, for the same reason-my mouse died, also. See earlier
postings? The button quit. Anyhow, just wait until Jason Gross finds out
the replacement policy!!! (give 'em $80 AND your mouse, and get a new one)
no repairs possible.

Good luck.
'later!

In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
>This idea just hit me...well was sort of forced on me.
>
>My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
>part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
>gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
>your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight

Really?  A $100 part?  Damn thing costs more than a standard keyboard--
really somthing, isn't it.  It's more like a $50 part. You know, I
think that no computer part less than 1/10 the price of the computer could
make it unuseable.  So if the voltage regulator on the 5v supply goes, it
should still work.  If the SCSI chip goes, it should still work.  Hell, make
it any combination of parts less than 1/10 the price of the computer-- the
computer should still work if the HMMU, keyboard, and mouse ALL go.

>So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
>New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
>the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

You mean like the Easy Access init included with System 5.0 and above?
The one that lets you press command-shift clear and move the pointer using
keys on the numeric keypad?  Yeah, that one is really stolen from )(*(#)*#
Windows.  The 3D look was stolen from Windows too-- that's why CDEFs and
WDEFs to make the Mac do it have been around since before windows.  (I had
some for my Lisa....)

[long, boring .sig deleted with prejudice]

In article <1990Dec11.232531.16816@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:

>It's already available - if you have the Easy Access init in the system
>folder, you can do mouse actions from the keyboard (I leave it to you to work
>out how to install it _after_ the mouse has broken).

No problem-- at least one of the disks in the System Tools set has it
installed.  You boot from that, and then use that to install it on your hard
disk.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.232531.16816@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

   In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu>, gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
   > This idea just hit me...well was sort of forced on me.
   >
   > My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
   > part, you can use a Mac without it!  I mean I don't mind the mouse, but
   > gee, just because some $100 part (now this I can hardly believe :) ) dies,
   > your $3000+ investment stands as a expensive paperweight.
   >
   > So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
   > New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
   > the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

  It's already available - if you have the Easy Access init in the system
  folder, you can do mouse actions from the keyboard (I leave it to you to work
  out how to install it _after_ the mouse has broken).

Well, two things.  First, the answer to this question ^^^ is to
temporarily borrow a mouse from someone.

Secondly, I found a solution (about an hour ago!) to the problem!  You
can select icons in the Finder using the keyboard!!!

Here's how you do it.  Boot up, and when you get to the desktop, type
the name of the icon you want to open.  It will highlight, and then
you can hit return or Command-O to open it.

Another hint: Microsoft Word lets you choose menu commands without the
mouse, as well.  Hit the period key on the numeric keypad, and use the
arrow keys to maneuver.

Good luck!
--
---=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=---
Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | "What a drag,

john@newave.UUCP (John A. Weeks III) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec11.155505.7510@umiami.ir.miami.edu> gross@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Mondo) writes:
> My mouse died.  Just wouldn't no matter what I did.  But you know the worse
> part, you can use a Mac without it!

Pardon me, your ignorance is showing.  Get out your Mac manual and
look up something called "Easy Access".

> So while the System 7 people are busily stealing from Windows (a la
> New Look), maybe they could add a feature that allows you to mainipulate
> the desktop (select icons, delete files,etc...) from the keyboard only?

Anyone that compares the Mac to Windows should be forced to used Windows
until they come to their senses.  Get real.

-john-

John A. Weeks III               (612) 942-6969               john@newave.mn.org
NeWave Communications                 ...uunet!rosevax!tcnet!wd0gol!newave!john

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (12/20/90)

In article <557@newave.UUCP> john@newave.mn.org (John A. Weeks III) writes:

>Pardon me, your ignorance is showing.  Get out your Mac manual and
>look up something called "Easy Access".

I don't mean to pick on you, particularly, but I get heartily sick of
seeing comments like this.  I bought my Mac in 1985; I gradually
upgraded it to a Mac Plus; I have kept up with the current operating
system via free dealer upgrades.  I GUARANTEE you that "Easy Access"
is not mentioned in my manuals.

If all this information is in your manuals, then you are a
johnny-come-lately to the Mac.

Pardon me, your ignorance is showing.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >