[comp.sys.mac.misc] WANTED: DeskWriter Help!

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (12/15/90)

Has anyone tried to use the HP DeskWriter 110V power supply with
a transformer, instead of using the 220V power supply?  Our HP
supplier can't seem to get a 220V power supply and I'll be leaving
for Munich soon.  Can it harm the DeskWriter to use a transformer?

Thanks,
 -- Dave

--
David Zinkin (drz@po.cwru.edu) -- CWRU '92 (Psychology/Chemistry)
      and Rochester General Hospital Radiology Dept. (Consultant)

"Clearity (sic): 20 points" -- from a CHEM 304 lab report evaluation

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (12/16/90)

IIci and tried to print using the DeskWriter via  a serial cable.  As best as
I can tell, he did everything correct; he selected the deskwriter (serial)
chooser item, selecting the "printer" port.  But when he goes into his
word processing program & tries to print, he gets a "printer not responding"
error message.  I tried connecting via the modem port, and got the same
answer.  The wierd part is that sometimes when you press "cancel" after the
printer error message, the printer starts up a little (the motors whine, and
the feeder closes a little and then opens up).  I also verified that the
serial cable is firmly in the ports.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?  The only thing I could
think of was that the software doesn't work with the IIci (the manual doesn't
mention a IIci as being supported).

Thanks,

Mark--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering
AppleLink: Dawson.M

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

jack@Taffy.rice.edu (Jack W. Howarth) (12/16/90)

In article <47407@apple.Apple.COM> marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) writes:
>IIci and tried to print using the DeskWriter via  a serial cable.  As best as
>I can tell, he did everything correct; he selected the deskwriter (serial)
>chooser item, selecting the "printer" port.  But when he goes into his
>word processing program & tries to print, he gets a "printer not responding"
>error message.  I tried connecting via the modem port, and got the same
>answer.  The wierd part is that sometimes when you press "cancel" after the
>printer error message, the printer starts up a little (the motors whine, and
>the feeder closes a little and then opens up).  I also verified that the
>serial cable is firmly in the ports.
>
>Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?  The only thing I could
>think of was that the software doesn't work with the IIci (the manual doesn't
>mention a IIci as being supported).
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark--
>---------------------------------
>Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering
>AppleLink: Dawson.M
>
>Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
>---------------------------------

Mark,
   You may have run across one of Apple's many hardware problems. It seems that
the resistor packs used on the serial ports of some of the newer Macs have
been failing. HP uses the presence of the resistor packs as a signal to auto-
matically switch to serial mode as opposed to AppleTalk. I think its odd that
both ports are doing this so you might try the DW on another Mac to check. If
your resistor packs on the Mac have gone bad you can get a logic board replace
ment to fix it or just try enabling AppleTalk since what has happened is the
DW seeing no resistor packs assumes you have an AppleTalk box attached and has
switched to the AppleTalk mode.
                                   Cheers
                                         Jack Howarth

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (12/20/90)

The deskwriter software should work. When you turn the printer on, it opens
and closes to clear the paper path. When you set it up, make sure it is on,
then set it up, and print.  It could be that by accident you hit the select
switch and took it off line? try that. If it says it is not responding, then
try the select switch, and re-print it.

Other things to try if the above does not work, is to get a new copy of the
software (version 2.00 in US) from a local dealer, or call the dealer and have
them check for a loose keypad, or PC board connections.

Dave

          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com