[comp.sys.mac.misc] notorius FDHD drive on SE?

cohen@boulder.Colorado.EDU (The Deathknight) (12/20/90)

   I have been having some problems with bad blocks on my disks, esp.
recently, and even tho I use Mactools and the BAD INIT, I can't get
rid of them. And now, some of the disks that have been fine for a year
or so start getting bad blocks! This is pissing me off!  I have tried
useing a drive cleaner, to no avail.  But just the other day, someone
told me how there was some sort of problem with the FDHD drives on the
SE's, that was fixed when they started to call them "superdrives".

	Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?  Is it fixable?
Am I going to have to pay mega bucks to fix this? Will jane find her
husband with his secret lover, Bill?  Tune in Next week...

|****The Deathknight*****| I'm gonna stick around     | REALITY is for people  |
|-----Matthew Cohen------| 'till I can't see straight!| who can't handle       |
|Cohen@tramp.Colorado.edu|            -  Foreigner    |    FANTASY!!!!         |

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec20.000748.14612@csn.org>, cohen@boulder.Colorado.EDU (The Deathknight) writes:
> Distribution:usa
>

>    I have been having some problems with bad blocks on my disks, esp.
> recently, and even tho I use Mactools and the BAD INIT, I can't get
> rid of them. And now, some of the disks that have been fine for a year
> or so start getting bad blocks! This is pissing me off!  I have tried
> useing a drive cleaner, to no avail.  But just the other day, someone
> told me how there was some sort of problem with the FDHD drives on the
> SE's, that was fixed when they started to call them "superdrives".
>
> 	Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?  Is it fixable?
> Am I going to have to pay mega bucks to fix this? Will jane find her
> husband with his secret lover, Bill?  Tune in Next week...

> |****The Deathknight*****| I'm gonna stick around     | REALITY is for people  |
> |-----Matthew Cohen------| 'till I can't see straight!| who can't handle       |
> |Cohen@tramp.Colorado.edu|            -  Foreigner    |    FANTASY!!!!         |

	I do have similar problem as you have.  We got several Mac's in here.
The ones I normally use is a MAC II and a SE/30 which got those SUPERdrive.
Quite a few occasion, I had a floopy which I just finish using on the II,
when I put it into the 30, it looks fine.  When I brought it back to the II,
the disk is unreadable.  I was doing backup two days ago.  Five of my disks
was, I suspect, killed by these drive.

	I always thought it is just for that particular SE/30.  It is
interesting you point it out.  I just bought a Classics.  I hope this
won't happen.  If you know of any solution, let me know.

Ida