[comp.sys.mac.misc] When my Classic will arrive???

linhm@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (HM Lin) (12/13/90)

Hi,
    I am very frustrated about my order of Mac Classic.
I had waited for seven weeks and 5 days. Can anyone tell me how to deal
with this. Can I call Apple? What department should I call?
( I ordered Classic from Computerland through Academic Purchase Program
, I doubt Computerland or Apple intentively delay the delivery of
Academic Purchase).

Best regards,

               I-shiou hwang

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec13.023946.17139@noose.ecn.purdue.edu> linhm@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (HM Lin) writes:

   Hi,
       I am very frustrated about my order of Mac Classic.
   I had waited for seven weeks and 5 days. Can anyone tell me how to deal
   with this. Can I call Apple? What department should I call?
   ( I ordered Classic from Computerland through Academic Purchase Program
   , I doubt Computerland or Apple intentively delay the delivery of
   Academic Purchase).

Sorry for the inconvenience, but Apple was caught off guard when they
introduced the Classic.  They simply didn't understand that when you
lower the price of your computer that demand goes up(and so does
market share).  Apple hasn't had much experience at selling cheap
machines so I guess they can be forgiven.  The backlog on the Classic
is a couple of months so be prepared to wait.  In the mean time, may I
suggest that you look at really exciting computer by a company out of
Redwood City, CA called NeXT :-).

-Mike

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) (12/17/90)

I have just finished ripping appart a Mac Classic to take notes on its
harware and to figure how this model works. All I can say is, is that
I'm Glad Its you buying the Mac Classic and not me!.

deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Rebel Without A Clue) (12/18/90)

In article <steveh.661416473@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>I have just finished ripping appart a Mac Classic to take notes on its
>harware and to figure how this model works. All I can say is, is that
>I'm Glad Its you buying the Mac Classic and not me!.

	Huh? What does this mean, Steve? I've worked on Macs for several
years now, but no longer. Are they as nasty inside as the SE/30? That
was a design from hell. No room to get your hands in. Modularity is
the best thing to happen for service techies since quality merchandise
went out of style.
	Jim

--
James "Rebel Without A Clue" Deane          Institute for Astronomy
deane@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu                2680 Woodlawn Dr

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (12/18/90)

Apologies all,

In article <steveh.661416473@tasman> steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
>I have just finished ripping appart a Mac Classic to take notes on its
>harware and to figure how this model works. All I can say is, is that
>I'm Glad Its you buying the Mac Classic and not me!.
Hmmm, really informative posting there. Let's try to guess what prompted it
	1) Sour grapes: Can't get one, or can't afford one -- Naah the classic
	   is pretty inexpensive, and though there is a waiting list, Classics
	   ARE available.
	2) Investment Protection: sell that non Apple stock QUICK!
	3) Because he really believes it: No that can't be it, he would have
	   JUSTIFIED the reasons why he disagree's with all the hardware
	   experts who do like this machines merits, not to mention the tens
	   of thousands of others who are willing to wait 8 weeks for
	   delivery.
	4) Stupidity: This does seem to be a valid reason. Sending a post
	   kicking dirt on a new mac in comp.sys.mac.misc, without the least
	   justification is without a doubt an act of stupidity.

Steve, would you like to tell us all the REAL reason you posted? If perchance
it was #3 we'd be interested in an intelligent report on why you feel that way
if it isn't similar to "AMIGA RULES", and we haven't already heard it before.

I really don't want to push you into making a fool of yourself again, so I'd
advise you to not post if you can't say anything reasonable...

Pat
--

+-------------------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Patrick Hayes                 |  EMail :  Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr  |

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (12/19/90)

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:
| I have just finished ripping appart a Mac Classic to take notes on its
| harware and to figure how this model works. All I can say is, is that
| I'm Glad Its you buying the Mac Classic and not me!.

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes):
| Hmmm, really informative posting there. Let's try to guess what prompted it
| 	1) Sour grapes: ...
| 	2) Investment Protection: sell that non Apple stock QUICK! ...
| 	3) Because he really believes it: No that can't be it, he ...
| 	4) Stupidity: This does seem to be a valid reason. Sending a ...
|
| Steve, would you like to tell us all the REAL reason you posted? If
| perchance it was #3 we'd be interested in an intelligent report on why
| you feel that way if it isn't similar to "AMIGA RULES", and we haven't
| already heard it before.

  I'm not Steve but I think Patrick has failed to read between Steve's
subtle lines. (Only Steve knows for sure...) I _think_ the slam was
intended to be more like "There's nothing I can fix inside a Classic,
it's so damn packed. At least on the Plus, I cold..." This is a valid
gripe should the Classic turn up a nasty misdesign that necessitates a
board swap since few are skilled enough to work on extremely dense PCBs.

Disclaimer: I haven't opened up a Classic, myself, but I recall seeing a
            picture somewhere (MacWorld?) and its rather tight.
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| "I'm a newcomer here, but does the

bachww@motcid.UUCP (Bud Bach) (12/19/90)

steveh@tasman.cc.utas.edu.au (Steven Howell) writes:

>I have just finished ripping appart a Mac Classic to take notes on its
>harware and to figure how this model works. All I can say is, is that
>I'm Glad Its you buying the Mac Classic and not me!.

Care to elaborate?

--
Bud Bach 					c/o Motorola
708 632-6611					Cellular Infrastructure Group

Patrick.Hayes@cediag.bull.fr (Patrick Hayes) (12/20/90)

In article <1990Dec18.172214.13389@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>  I'm not Steve but I think Patrick has failed to read between Steve's
>subtle lines. (Only Steve knows for sure...) I _think_ the slam was
>intended to be more like "There's nothing I can fix inside a Classic,
>it's so damn packed. At least on the Plus, I cold..." This is a valid
>gripe should the Classic turn up a nasty misdesign that necessitates a
>board swap since few are skilled enough to work on extremely dense PCBs.
This could certainly be a valid gripe if Apple sold their machines in kit, but
they do not and current (and past) policy on all compact macs is "no user
servicable parts inside". Other than ROM/swim swaps (let's leave the Mac +'s
analog card out of this ok?) when has Apple advised it's !dealers! to service
a mac's innards?

Anyway Apple isn't the only one going to packed circuit boards EVERYONE is. Is
this a double standard in the making? If Compac comes out with an itsy bitsy
motherboard it's deemed a technological jewel, but if Apple does -- boy is
that going to be hard to fix IF they made a mistake...

I'm sorry Robert, I don't see this as a valid (though much more
comprehensible) complaint.
The higher the circuit integration =>
	the smaller the motherboards =>
		more room on my desk