[comp.sys.mac.misc] The New Macs: Greedy Compromises?

eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) (11/29/90)

I am puzzled.  I have seen the new Macs, and I appreciate the price cuts.
But it seems that every one of the three machines has something awkward.
It seems like Apple has been making strange decisions, and I can't
understand them.  Can somebody shed light?

Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?  Is it that more
expensive?  If so, was it absolutely impossible to speed up that old timer?

And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
much more expensive than a 68020?  Will Motorola continue for long to
produce that chip, or will it not streamline to fewer models, like Intel
did?  Will the cut in material price be worth more than the trouble of
having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible architecture?
How much more would it have been to support eight bit color on the 13 inch
monitor, rather that only on the 12 inch one?  10$? 20$?  And that would have
been compatible with the IIsi and the IIci...  And why does it have a 16 bit
wide RAM bus?  How much did that save?  Is there a good reason for not
having the same slot as the IIsi?

Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?
Is it only so that it does not cannibalize the IIci, or is there a real
difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?

Maybe there are good answers to these questions.  I have been waiting for
them ever since the new Macs were first described in MacWeek in September.
It's been almost three months now, and I'm still waiting.  Until I get those
answers, I will fight that nasty thought crawling to my mind that Apple has
been either greedy, lazy, or incompetent.  You see, before I can convince
myself, or anyone else, to spend big money on those computers, I need to
reasonably understand why they are so awkward.  Or why they're not.

Eric.

=========

Oh, and while we're at it, why hasn't Apple come out with a "IIcfx",
a 3-slot fx?  Hasn't it learned from the huge success of the IIcx that
most people don't need 6 slots but only three?  Don't we all long for
that small footprint?

  Eric Brunelle                          |  "Une civilisation repose
  BNR-Montreal (Recherches Bell-Northern)|   sur ce qui est exige des hommes,
  Verdun, Quebec H3E 1H6                 |   non sur ce qui leur est fourni"
  eric%bnrmtl@iro.umontreal.ca		 |		-- St-Ex

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca>
           eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:
> I am puzzled.  I have seen the new Macs, and I appreciate the price cuts.
> But it seems that every one of the three machines has something awkward.
> It seems like Apple has been making strange decisions, and I can't
> understand them.  Can somebody shed light?

Apple is in business to make money.  This isn't all that strange, it
happens to a lot of companies.

> Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
> possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?

I would have thought they'd go with something faster too.  On the other
hand (from what I understand) they can't manufacture enough classics to
keep up with the demand for the machine as it is.  To me this sounds like
they made a smart enough business decision.

> And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
> much more expensive than a 68020?  Will Motorola continue for long to
> produce that chip, or will it not streamline to fewer models, like Intel
> did?

Depends on how well the LC does, I imagine.  If Apple is selling thousands
of LC's per month, I imagine Motorola might be willing to keep the
production going.  They're in business to make money too, after all.

> Will the cut in material price be worth more than the trouble of
> having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible architecture?

Not quite sure what you're saying here.  The 68020 isn't all that weird an
architecture (if you're refering to the 68020 here...), there's plenty of
accelerator boards that use it, for instance.  I've got one.  Nobody
adapted any programs so I could run them on my 68020 machine.  Some games
don't work, but then the same games don't work on a 68030 either.

> How much more would it have been to support eight bit color on the 13
> inch monitor, rather that only on the 12 inch one?  10$? 20$?  And
> that would have been compatible with the IIsi and the IIci...  And why
> does it have a 16 bit wide RAM bus?  How much did that save?  Is there
> a good reason for not having the same slot as the IIsi?

I'd expect it's more than $20.  Not a lot more, but if you sell enough
machines then $20-$70 per machine can mean millions of dollars to your
profit margin.  If they don't sell enough machines, well, then they
goofed and they will pay for it in lost sales.

> Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?
> Is it only so that it does not cannibalize the IIci, or is there a real
> difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?

Why not a 50Mhz one?  Why not 8 Meg in the minimum configuration?  Why not
sell it for $1500?  Why not give you a case of really great beer with it?
They could probably do all those things and still make a few bucks per
machine, and we'd all be thrilled.  Apple is not in business to thrill
us, it's in business to make money.  The machines, as is, are apparently
thrilling enough people that Apple is selling them at a pretty rapid rate.
And Apple is making a good profit per machine.  Sounds like a smart
business move.

I suppose we could sit here and answer every one of these individual
points (assuming somebody knows the answers), but none of these are
the real issue.  There's one and only one question you have to answer,
"Is this machine worth enough to me that I want to buy it?".  All other
questions are somewhat meaningless.  If the IIsi, as is, has more value
to you than the $$$ it costs to get one, buy the machine.  If not, don't
buy it.  If the machine, as is, is worth enough to you that you will buy
the machine, as is, then you have answered all the above questions with
the statement "Whatever reason they had, they made the right decision".

The important question is not "why did you build the machine you built?",
it's "will people buy the machine you built?".  If the answer to that is
"no", then the next question is "why won't they buy it?".  Both of those
important questions are answered by the marketplace.

> ... I will fight that nasty thought crawling to my mind that Apple has
> been either greedy, lazy, or incompetent.

Greedy?  Perhaps (at least with the LC and IIsi).  Lazy?  Incompetent?
The marketplace at the moment is saying those accusations are wrong
(though it would have agreed with you a year ago, and it may agree with
you again a year from now...).  Capitalist?  Yes.  Certainly.  Were you
expecting something else?

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (11/29/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca>, eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes...
>I am puzzled.  I have seen the new Macs, and I appreciate the price cuts.

Greedy compromises?  I'd say smart business decisions.
Our site has many $5000-era Mac II's that we'd gladly swap
for some of the "compromised" new Macs.

Our techies use IIci's and IIcx's -- only one of them has more than one
board; the lone second does 8-bit video; that's on board in the IIsi.

Our secretaries use $2000-plus SE's -- not a single PDS card in use.
Classics would have saved us alot of money, not to mention that they
will be compatible with Apple system software for much longer.

For the odd bird that uses the Mac II in order to have simple color,
the LC is a great buy!

The real ugly ducklings in the Mac product line were, in retrospect,
the Mac II -- a 6-slot schoolbus with a VW engine, and the original
SE -- ever look inside on of those suckers?  By the time a large
enough selection of boards was available to allow us to consider
'special board' tasks on the Mac instead of IBM-PCs, the newer Macs
like the IIcx fit the need better.

The IIx probably doesn't need to be mentioned ...

Our site never used any of the expandability features of these Macs ...
they just gave the old ones to less demanding users and bought new ones
to satisfy demanding users (or administrators ....  ;-)  )

For the individual that is worried about missing a chance at upgrading down
the road -- remember that no super upgrade deals emerged as a result
of the inclusion of slots in SE's and II's.  Sure, you can buy
an accelerator board for an SE or a plus -- but after you fry the
analog board you've basically paid alot of money to keep the plastic
casing from your old computer!

So send us your new Mac's from 'greedy, compromising' Apple!
We have some great, expandable, uncompromising Mac's that will
solve all your problems ...

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (11/29/90)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:

>In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca>
>           eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:

>Apple is in business to make money.  This isn't all that strange, it
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>production going.  They're in business to make money too, after all.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>us, it's in business to make money.  The machines, as is, are apparently
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> been either greedy, lazy, or incompetent.
               ^^^^^^
>Greedy?  Perhaps (at least with the LC and IIsi).  Lazy?  Incompetent?
 ^^^^^^
>Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
>ITS Systems Programmer
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

I'm quite sure Apple exist to make money, it would be nice if they could give
us something back for it too. I'm sorry, but a while back many people were
complaining that one university or other was charging $10 or $20 more or less
than another one and I just have to laugh. I live in Australia and the prices
that Apple Australia charge for a Macintosh you would not believe. We wind up
paying roughly 2 to 2.5 times what you do in the U.S. I was considering
investing in an LC with 13" AppleColor Hi-Res monitor and the 512K Video DRAM
card when I heard about the new Macs and inquired about the price.

Just $AUS 4972. And that's at consortium prices. I hate to think what one of
the local dealers would shaft me for, probably add another couple grand easy.

Just to give you an idea the Apple Australia recommended price in 1990 for an
SE/30 2mb/HD40 was $AUS 9,950 (that's from the official price list).
A Mac IIfx Colour System (IIfx 4/80, 4-8 display card, Hi-Res RGB Monitor,
extended keyboard) set you back $AUS 19,025.

Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.

(P.S. I don't need any accusations of being a Mac-hater. I've got a 512K(not E)
and an SE - I wouldn't use anything else.)
--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/29/90)

eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:

>Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
>possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?  Is it that more
>expensive?  If so, was it absolutely impossible to speed up that old timer?

  As a matter of interest, does anyone know how difficult it will be
for Apple to redesign the Classic motherboard to put in a 16MHz 68000?
My feeling, when the 8MHz number became fact, was that surely Apple
will bring out an upgraded Classic (the Classic Plus??) within a short
time frame, which will increase the processor speed to a more
respectable 16MHz.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"Dear Fascist Bully Boy,   Give me some money, or else.  Neil.  P.S. May
the seed of your loins be fruitful in the womb of your woman..."

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca>

> How much more would it have been to support eight bit color on the 13
> inch monitor, rather that only on the 12 inch one?  10$? 20$?  And
> that would have been compatible with the IIsi and the IIci...

You *can* get 8-bit color on the 13-inch monitor; all you have to
do is install an additional VRAM SIMM, which I believe sells for
~$100.

> And why does it have a 16 bit wide RAM bus?  How much did that save?
> Is there a good reason for not having the same slot as the IIsi?

Because the LC was designed to compete directly against the IBM PS2
Model 55SX, which has a 16-bit data bus and uses the 16/32-bit i80386SX.
Rumor had it, at one time, that the LC would use 16/32-bit version of
the 68030 (sort of a 030SX) called the 68025, but that chip apparently
failed to materialize, so Apple used the 68020, which is available, instead.
Perhaps something like the 68025 might be used on a future version of
the LC.

> Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?

Probably because the cost of designing and manufacturing a circuit board
goes up so quickly as you increase the clock speed.  Besides, it replaces
a 16-Mhz machine.

hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/30/90)

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:

>Our secretaries use $2000-plus SE's -- not a single PDS card in use.
>Classics would have saved us alot of money, not to mention that they
>will be compatible with Apple system software for much longer.

What do you mean here?

The SE and the Classic (and the plus for that matter) should be virtually
identical with regards to system software support.  I am not aware of
any hardware changes that were made that should increase the ability of
the classic to run future systems over the SE.  (unless you consider the
ability to control brightness from the control panel a vital system software
enhancement.

Josh Hodas    		Home Phone:	     (215) 222-7112
4223 Pine Street	School Office Phone: (215) 898-9514
Philadelphia, PA 19104	New E-Mail Address:  hodas@saul.cis.upenn.edu

treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) (11/30/90)

you cannot answer all question about why company a did b by saying they did it
to make money. It's true, of course. It's also stupid.  It's like answering
"why did the chicken cross the road" with "to get to the other side"

it is possible to get more detailed answers and it is possible to derive benfit
from those answers

We cannot say "x million people bought the classic, therefore apple was right
not to use a 16mz 68000" We have to ask "would x+y million have bought it if
they had gone 16mz?" You can bet apple asked. They need to hear from those "y"
people if they were wrong about how big "y" is.

The issues raised here need to be voiced and people from apple DO read this.
they need our feed back if they are going to decide how to sell us more macs.
We want them to make a prodect we will buy so we win too!
Ranting on about how all apples decisions are made to increase profits
doesn't tell US anything we don't know and doesn't tell THEM anything they
don't know.

for example - here at Academic computing at OSU we probably would have bought
a ton of LCs if it had a 68030 - even with the needed price increase.

very likely we will buy ms-dos machines instead. Why ? - we want big screens
(for word processing-color is only a minor factor), and something close to
current technology, at a reasonable cost.

I love macs. Amazingly, OSU will not spend huge amounts of money on them for
that reason alone.

|                   That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!                  |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|
| Microcomputer software support,     |  treeves@magnus.IRCC.OHIO-STATE.EDU   |

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) (11/30/90)

I must admit, I am not thrilled with Apple's new machines either.  One of
the nice things about Macintosh computers was that they did what you wanted
them to do, without a whole lot of hastle.  Like the wonderful GUI.

But these new machines... yikes!  Just keeping up with all the little
"oddities" of each machine is enough to make you go crazy.  Like....

* "OK the LC has at 68020 so that puts it in line with Mac II power, but
oh, is has 16-bit pathway instead of 32-but, but it does has 32-bit to
the ROM."

* "And "The IIsi comes with 2 meg and has color, but unlike
the other machines, it uses main memory for video, so you loose up to
320K for 256 colors.  So 2 meg on a IIsi isn't like 2 Meg on another machine.
Will it have enough room for System 7.0?"

* "Then the IIsi is very fast and has color, but Mac II machines with seperate
NuBus video cards do graphics faster because they have their own memory."

* "To get a numeric coprocessor for the IIsi you have to buy an adapter
card.  Either one which allows you to connect a NuBus card, or one that
allows you to connect an SE/30 board.  The LC has no Numeric Coprocessor
option, unless someone comes out with one on an expansion card.  The Classic
doesn't have one, as expected."

* I won't even try to sort out all the monitor options for the LC.  Yikes!

* The Mac Classic has 1 Meg soldered to the board, expandable to 4 Meg, and
can't use 4 Meg SIMMS.  The LC comes with 2 Meg soldered to the board,
expandable to 10 Meg.  To IIsi has no memory soldered on board, and is
expandable to 17 Meg.  Then there are all the different configurations
and new SIMM sizes....

And one thing you almost never had to worry about on any computer was
power.  Expansion cards on the LC and IIsi will have to have very small
power budgets, and it looks like many NuBus cards will have problems.
To quote Andrew Lewis, president of DayStar Digital (MacWeek 11/6/90),
"'Almost all the products we've done have busted the power budget.'"
According to MacWeek, many times when this happens, you'll have to replace
the whole motherbaord!  How many NuBus cards available now list power
useage?  Yet another thing we have to watch out for....

My point is this.  Indeed, as many people have pointed out, much of this
complexity is a result of Apple trying to minimize cost.  Apple has always
been expensive, and I've always been willing to pay their prices, because
you would get a machine that was powerful and yet elegant.  It had much of
the hardware abilities of AT clones, but it wasn't such a mess to get
a full system together.  On top of its GUI, I felt it was well worth it.

But now that Apple is making life much more complicated (in my opinion),
espcially considering that at least two of these machines are meant for people
who don't want to buy big complicated systems, and the recent advent of that
"new machine" (I won't dare mention it's name :-) with, what I consider, as
good and maybe better GUI, I'm not as pro-Mac as I used to be.  Not to mention
its price....

I teach introductory computer courses to some people who have never even
used a computer before.  One lady came and took one of my classes because
she couldn't use the computer card system in our local library.  At the
end of the course, I usually give the students a run down of the Macintosh
line, because many enjoyed using it so much they wanted to buy one.  It
was getting a little difficult for a while there with so many different
models.  But trying to explain the differences and little things to be
aware of about these new machines is going to give me one big headache.
With the original Macintosh lines, there wasn't all these "catches"
you had to watch out for.

As I've said before, I don't think Apple is the same company it used to be.
They used to be very concerend with quailty and innovation.  You had to
pay for it, but I thought it was worth it.  Now Apple is showing signs
of making the Mac line look as clouded as the IBM clone market.  Money is
more important to them than it used to be.  This I think is at our expense.
And except for maybe the Classic, these machines still aren't as super-cheap.

If anyone can cheer me up now ;-( I'd really appreicate it.... :-)

Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
> you cannot answer all question about why company a did b by saying they did it
> to make money. It's true, of course. It's also stupid.  It's like answering
> "why did the chicken cross the road" with "to get to the other side"
>
> it is possible to get more detailed answers and it is possible to derive benfit
> from those answers
Yes, right. One of the drawbacks of this "It makes money therefore it's good"
logic is it is too short-term. Here's a little homework exercise. Fill in
the following table:

model      128K 512K 512Ke Plus SE SE/30 II IIx IIcx IIci IIsi Classic Portable
slot type (check all that apply)
  none
  PDS
  PDS/20
  PDS/30
  PDS/40
  NuBus
RAM installation (check all that apply)
  soldered
  SIMM
  card
CPU
  68000
  68020
  68030
Clock speed
  8MHz
  16MHz
  20MHz
  25MHz
  40MHz
PMMU
  extra
  in CPU
  none
Cache
  extra
  built in
  none
DMA (y/n)
Floating point unit
  68881
  68882
  optional
  none
Power Supply
  90-250V
  fixed voltage
  battery
QuickDraw
  color
  original

I will be interested if you can see any pattern in this (no, please _do not_
send me the completed table). The point I am making is Apple lacks a clear
sense of direction. This must be very disturbing for third-party hardware
manufacturers, who have to decide which of 6 methods of adding hardware to
support. And surely this unnecessary proliferation of variations hurts Apple's
ability to bring products quickly to market, and to further develop them.
(Including system software.)
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Holden Chang) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
>for example - here at Academic computing at OSU we probably would have bought
>a ton of LCs if it had a 68030 - even with the needed price increase.
>
>very likely we will buy ms-dos machines instead. Why ? - we want big screens
>(for word processing-color is only a minor factor), and something close to
>current technology, at a reasonable cost.

If you take an LC, put in a 68030 and bump up the clock speed a smidgeon,
you have an si. The price differential between the si and the LC
*is* the needed price increase for the 68030 in Apple's view. Which is to say
if the LC had almost the same characteristics as an si, then the former would
take away sales from the latter and the profits would decrease. As others have
noted, Apple is in business to make money and at present seems to be doing
a pretty good job at it. (and indeed would have done a much better job if
it had more accurately gauged the demand for the Classic).

Why do you need a 68030 for word processing anyway?
  Kenneth Chang                         *   khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
  Center for Complex Systems Research   *             or
  University of Illinois                *   kc@complex.ccsr.uiuc.edu

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca writes:
>I am puzzled.  I have seen the new Macs, and I appreciate the price cuts.
>But it seems that every one of the three machines has something awkward.
>It seems like Apple has been making strange decisions, and I can't
>understand them.  Can somebody shed light?

This is the way Apple has always done business.  Do you remember the
firsts Macs?  Apple was shocked when a third party added a hard
drive to it.  Why?  Because the Mac was not supposed to have a hard
drive, because that would make it compete with the Lisa.

>Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it

Take the Classic ... Please :)  You wanted an inexpensive Mac, so
Apple came out with a cheap one.

>And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that

The point of the LC is to kill the Apple II line.  Perhaps they
should have named it the Mac //e.

>Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?
>Is it only so that it does not cannibalize the IIci, or is there a real

yes

>difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?

New slot == New way to suck money from users.

>It's been almost three months now, and I'm still waiting.  Until I get those
>answers, I will fight that nasty thought crawling to my mind that Apple has
>been either greedy, lazy, or incompetent.  You see, before I can convince

Why fight it?  It's the truth.

>myself, or anyone else, to spend big money on those computers, I need to
>reasonably understand why they are so awkward.  Or why they're not.

Apple has never been known for a good price/preformance ratio and
they never will.  I can't wait for the 040's to be out in mass.
People will go to Apple asking for a good upgrade path, and they
will be told:  "There is a very easy upgrade path, sell your old Mac
and buy a new one"

                                           Rick

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
           treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
> We cannot say "x million people bought the classic, therefore apple was
> right not to use a 16mz 68000" We have to ask "would x+y million have
> bought it if they had gone 16mz?" You can bet apple asked. They need
> to hear from those "y" people if they were wrong about how big "y" is.

My point is not that they sold <x> machines, my point is that they can not
keep up with the demand for the machines they have released.  <x>+<y>
machines would *not* be sold, because Apple can't even build the <x>
number.  Once the demand falls below their capacity, then they'll
(presumably) trot out a better machine to entice more of those people in
the <y> camp.

Even if they could mean the demand of <x>+<y> people, your comments
overlook another point.  It's not how many people own Macs, it's how much
profit they (Apple as a company, in business to make money) get out of it,
long term.  This is not some weird aberration of Apple, Inc.  This is
capitalism in action.

> The issues raised here need to be voiced and people from apple DO read
> this.  they need our feed back if they are going to decide how to sell
> us more macs. We want them to make a prodect we will buy so we win too!
> Ranting on about how all apples decisions are made to increase profits
> doesn't tell US anything we don't know and doesn't tell THEM anything
> they don't know.

Indeed, the issues raised here may very well need to be raised.  But this
is not the most effective way to raise them.  You raise them by not buying
their machines.  My ranting and raving (about how they are in business to
make money) was done for a reason.  You can write up megabytes of usenet
articles to say how stupid the machines are, and it won't do a damn thing
unless Apple has trouble selling those machines.  And, on the flip side,
we could sit here and praise Apple for making wonderful machines, and
*that* would not mean a thing to Apple if those machines were in fact not
selling.

The original poster asked a long line of questions of "Why did Apple do
such-and-such?".  I think those minor side issues of historical interest.
For all I know, Apple went with a 68020 because they were nervous about
the Motorola/Hitachi legal disputes.  Or maybe they did it because John
Scully didn't get a christmas card from the guy at Motorola who runs the
68030 line.  Who cares *why* they did it?  The major issue is "Will enough
people buy it?".  Will you buy the machine if the *reason* they did it was
because of the legal battles, but NOT buy that very same machine if the
*reason* was a missing christmas card?

Don't get me wrong here, I agree that they could and should have done
these machines differently.  The only machine that looks interesting to me
(and my wallet) is the Mac IIsi.  I just don't think we can call them
stupid or lazy, given the success of the machines so far.  In some sense
this success annoys me, because I would have thought that a 8Mhz 68000
machine would bomb in this day and age.  It hasn't bombed though.  Their
business sense seems better than mine (for these machines, at least, the
Mac portable is a different story :-).

As to the question in the subject of this article, my answer would be
"They sure are.  What did you expect?".  Apple would love to sell Mac
Classics for over $10,000 (I imagine), while Mac users want something
faster than a Mac IIfx for under $700 (or at least I do...).  Both sides
are greedy, in their own way.  Any machine that comes out will be a
compromise between the two extremes, because neither extreme is
sustainable.  I think the current machines are a shrewd compromise
between the extremes.

sandy@snoopy.cs.umass.edu (& Wise) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:
   And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
   much more expensive than a 68020?  Will Motorola continue for long to
   produce that chip, or will it not streamline to fewer models, like Intel
   did?  Will the cut in material price be worth more than the trouble of
   having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible architecture?

According to a recent MacWorld article, the original plans for the LC
called for a 68000.  The '020 was later added because the demands of
color were too high for the 68000.  The most important motivation
behind the LC was damage control.  Apple was losing the educational
market... they needed a Mac that could replace the Apple II.

        /s

--
Alexander Erskine Wise /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ Software Development Laboratory
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ WISE@CS.UMASS.EDU /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
>for example - here at Academic computing at OSU we probably would have bought
>a ton of LCs if it had a 68030 - even with the needed price increase.

You wrote a very lucid message.  But I have to ask, why do you want a 68030
instead of a 68020?  Don't list a bunch a technical specs like more pipelining
or extra addressing modes.  What benefits does a user see from a 68030
instead of a 68020?  As far as I can see, the user can't tell which processor
is in the machine.

Perhaps you want the 030 because its faster.  However, its only about 15%
faster, which is hardly noticeable to the user.  There are much more effective
ways of speeding up the system than putting in a higher model processor.

David

thetroll@rata.vuw.ac.nz (The Troll) (11/30/90)

eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:
>Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
>possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?  Is it that mor>expensive?  If so, was it absolutely impossible to speed up that old timer?

When I asked this question of the team that put together the new macs, the
reply was that they didn't want to reduce software support for MacPlus and
SE owners.

The rational was that software developers try and write their programs to
perform "well" on the bottom end machines (the Plus and SE). If Apple
increased the speed of the base machine then software developers would
create software that ran "well" on the new baseline. If that happened then
all the SE and Plus owners out there would enjoy perfomance hits when they
went out brought the next upgrade of their software packages.

For example Pagemaker 4.0 performs ok on a MacPlus but it's not swift. If
Aldus assumed that the new baseline was a 16MHz 68000 then Pagemaker 5.0
probably wouldn't be usable on a MacPlus, because they wouldn't put any
effort into tuning performance for a 8MHz 68000 instead tuning Pagemaker
to work "well" (but not swiftly) on a 16MHz 68000.

Was it a good decision? I don't know, but I do know that this group sees a
lot of complaints about how Apple keeps orphaning its low end machines.
About how it doesn't give automatic upgrades.

With a commitment to the 8MHz 68000 in a new machine Apple is commited to
making system 7.0 work "well" on not only the Classic but also the Mac
Plus and SE, and seems to be making an effort to preserve a usable
software base for the Plus and SE.

The other question is: Do most users really need a faster chip than the
8Mhz 68000? In the MS-DOS world, the most popular model that this
University sells is the original 8088 version, our users seem happy with
not being able to run speed hungry programs, all they want is a
word-processing platform.

--
Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington

In article <1990Nov29.203507.25984@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>* "OK the LC has at 68020 so that puts it in line with Mac II power, but
>oh, is has 16-bit pathway instead of 32-but, but it does has 32-bit to
>the ROM."
The CPU spends a large percentage of time executing code out of ROM,
so it has a wider path to the ROM.  It has a 16 bit path to RAM to
save a little money.  Believe it or not, you run out of room for
traces on a PC board, and either you have to make a bigger board
(which costs more for the board material and the bigger case to hold
it) or you cut out some traces.

Anyway, why do you care?  The user has no clue how wide the data path is,
in fact the programmer doesn't even know how wide the data path is.  The
processor just gets the right bits for them.

>* "And "The IIsi comes with 2 meg and has color, but unlike
>the other machines, it uses main memory for video, so you loose up to
>320K for 256 colors.  So 2 meg on a IIsi isn't like 2 Meg on another machine.
What do you mean unlike other machines?  I'm writing this on a IIci,
which uses main memory for the on board video.

>* "Then the IIsi is very fast and has color, but Mac II machines with
seperate
>NuBus video cards do graphics faster because they have their own memory."
What a bunch of crap.  Have you done any benchmarks?
Graphics go faster with on board video, not Nubus video, because the
processor can access the video RAM directly, instead of going through
the 10MHz Nubus controller.

Anyway, if you feel that way, you can put a seperate viedo card in,
and not use the on board viedo.

>* "To get a numeric coprocessor for the IIsi you have to buy an adapter
>card.  Either one which allows you to connect a NuBus card, or one that
>allows you to connect an SE/30 board.  The LC has no Numeric Coprocessor
>option, unless someone comes out with one on an expansion card.  The Classic
>doesn't have one, as expected."
Motorola doesn't make an FPU for the 68000.  Why don't you complain
to them?  Or is that somehow Apple's fault anyway?

Most users don't do anything that requires an FPU, so its not
included standard, to save the average user money.  You can add one
if you run something like Mathematica (on a IIsi, God help you).
Third parties are going to sell FPU boards for the LC.

>* I won't even try to sort out all the monitor options for the LC.  Yikes!
What's wrong with the monitor options?  You can get a really cheap 12"
black and white monitor, or a slightly more expensive 12" color monitor,
or an even more expensive 13" color monitor.

What's the problem, you want Apple to say
"It only works with this new, incompatible, monitor.  Buy it and shut up,
but don't try use your old Mac II monitor on it, because it won't work"?
That would make all the users real happy, I'm sure...

>* The Mac Classic has 1 Meg soldered to the board, expandable to 4 Meg, and
>can't use 4 Meg SIMMS.  The LC comes with 2 Meg soldered to the board,
>expandable to 10 Meg.  To IIsi has no memory soldered on board, and is
>expandable to 17 Meg.  Then there are all the different configurations
>and new SIMM sizes....
Like all Mac Plus based machines (including the SE), the Classic is limited
to 4MB total RAM.  If you put 2 4MB SIMMs in, you'd get 8MB, thus wasting
4MB.  Why should Apple support such a stupid memory configuration?

The memory is soldered in because its cheaper and more reliable to not
use sockets.  You got a problem with reliability engineering?

>And one thing you almost never had to worry about on any computer was
>power.  Expansion cards on the LC and IIsi will have to have very small
>power budgets, and it looks like many NuBus cards will have problems.
>To quote Andrew Lewis, president of DayStar Digital (MacWeek 11/6/90),
>"'Almost all the products we've done have busted the power budget.'"
>According to MacWeek, many times when this happens, you'll have to replace
>the whole motherbaord!  How many NuBus cards available now list power
>useage?  Yet another thing we have to watch out for....
Wait a minute.  Look at this statement.  The board manufacturer admits
that his board is over the stated power limit.  This power limit has
been published to board developers since the Mac II.  Its not new.
Why aren't you mad at the board developer for trying to sell you a
board which HE KNOWS will mess up your Mac!

The power limits haven't changed since the Mac II.  In previous
machines, the board developers used more than their allotment,
expecting to draw the extra power reserved for other, hopefully
unused, slots.  But put 6 of those boards in a Mac II, or 3 in
a IIcx, amd you'll have exactly the same problem.

>I teach introductory computer courses to some people who have never even
>used a computer before.  One lady came and took one of my classes because
>she couldn't use the computer card system in our local library.  At the
>end of the course, I usually give the students a run down of the Macintosh
>line, because maone big headache.
>With the original Macintosh lines, there wasn't all these "catches"
>you had to watch out for.
Ok, suppose Apple went back to a nice, simple line.  A Mac Plus or a
Mac II, or nothing.  Would that make you happy?

I can tell you one thing, it would cause a shareholder lawsuit.

You think life is complicated, try using a DOS machine.  Do you want
8088, 8086, 80286, 80386, 80386SX, or 80486?  4MHz, 6MHz, 10MHz,
12MHz, 16MHz, 20MHz, 25MHz, or 33MHz?  Lets talk video.  Do you want
a monochrome card, a monochrome Hercules graphics card, an CGA graphics
card, an EGA graphics card, a VGA graphics card, or a PGA graphics card?
(Or the new video "standard" IBM introduced a few weeks ago, I think
its called XGA.)  Don't forget to set the dip switches when you install
the video card!  When's the last time you set a dip switch on a Mac?
And don't worry about configuring multiple monitors on the same machine,
because the system won't support that.
Since you probably can't fit all your programs in 640K, you'll need more
memory.  Do you want extended memory, expanded memory, extended expanded,
or the RAM du jour?  Since you probably didn't buy a True Blue machine,
because you don't like being gouged, you got a clone.  Does it have
a good BIOS, from a reputable compoany like Pheonix, or some noname
job?
What kinds of slots do you have?  8 bit XT standard? 16 bit AT standard?
Half height? 32 bit MCA?  32 bit EISA?
I'm not even going to get into networks, because I don't know enough
to make them work on a PC.

David

lsr@Apple.com (Larry Rosenstein) (11/30/90)

In article <14568@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:

> >difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?
>
> New slot == New way to suck money from users.

What new slot?  The IIsi takes either NuBus boards or SE/30 compatible
boards (you have your choice).

Also, from what I've read, an adapter card isn't necessary if the board is
a PDS board and if it can fit into the machine without the adapter.

reinoud@duteca (Reinoud Lamberts) (11/30/90)

eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle) writes:

  I am puzzled.  I have seen the new Macs, and I appreciate the price
  cuts. But it seems that every one of the three machines has something
  awkward. It seems like Apple has been making strange decisions, and I
  can't understand them.  Can somebody shed light?

  Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't
  it possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?  Is
  it that more expensive?  If so, was it absolutely impossible to speed
  up that old timer?

I don't think Apple made strange decisions. These new machines show a
consistent design strategy: build a machine that satisfies the needs
of most potential users as cheaply as possible.

Take the Classic: the speed of the Mac Plus was, and is, good enough
to do many useful things. Add an ADB port, a superdrive, and more than
SE speed, subtract $$$ from its price, and there is a *very* nice
entry level Mac.

A 16 MHz 68k may be less attractive than it seems to you. The chip is
significantly more expensive than an 8 MHz one (about 4 times as
expensive if I remember well). What is worse, a 16 MHz 68k has
HORRIBLE timing specs, because not all signals scale up to the new
clock the same way. This means that either waitstates must be added
when accessing memory, what would undo the gain in clock speed, or you
would have to use expensive memory, which is something you don't want
on a cheap machine.

  And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
  much more expensive than a 68020?  Will Motorola continue for long to
  produce that chip, or will it not streamline to fewer models, like
  Intel did?  Will the cut in material price be worth more than the
  trouble of having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible
  architecture? How much more would it have been to support eight bit
  color on the 13 inch monitor, rather that only on the 12 inch one?
  10$? 20$?  And that would have been compatible with the IIsi and the
  IIci...  And why does it have a 16 bit wide RAM bus?  How much did
  that save?  Is there a good reason for not having the same slot as the
  IIsi?

The 68020 has a feature called 'dynamic bus sizing', allowing it to
work with 32, 16 or 8 bit busses at any time, something a 68030 can't
do. A narrower memory bus greatly reduces system cost: fewer memory
chips necessary, fewer bus buffers, cheaper printed circuit board
(smaller, fewer traces, maybe fewer layers). A 68020 is nearly as fast
as a 68030, and if the 16 bit bus accesses are handled cleverly (doing
a fast page mode access on every second 16 bit word when possible) you
can tweak a very nice performance out of it. And don't forget that the
68020 is the cheapest processor capable of running Color QuickDraw at
any reasonable speed.

What do you mean by 'incompatible architecture'? The 68020 instruction
set is actually a SUPERSET of the 68030!

As for the video: I don't know (yet) how the video of the LC is
implemented, I don't even know whether it is going to be 8 or 16 bit
video. But video with many colors sure is expensive. Take a look at
prices of 8 bit video cards for example. And a small increase in video
capability may be very costly, if the increase in video data bandwith
or size requires an increase in the number of (expensive!) video RAMs.
Anyway, I read that the LC supports 8 bit video on the 13 inch monitor
with an extra bank of VRAM.

  Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz
  one? Is it only so that it does not cannibalize the IIci, or is there
  a real difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?

Why not a 60 MHz 68040? Remember that this is a _cheap_ Mac II!

  Maybe there are good answers to these questions.  I have been waiting
  for them ever since the new Macs were first described in MacWeek in
  September. It's been almost three months now, and I'm still waiting.
  Until I get those answers, I will fight that nasty thought crawling to
  my mind that Apple has been either greedy, lazy, or incompetent.  You
  see, before I can convince myself, or anyone else, to spend big money
  on those computers, I need to reasonably understand why they are so
  awkward.  Or why they're not.

Of course Apple is greedy ;-), they want to make money. I don't think
Apple is lazy or incompetent. They have obviously put a lot of effort
in designing nice new machines with nice prices, and I think they have
done well. Now I can finally recommend a lot of people to take a look
at Macs instead of low quality systems.

- Reinoud
email: reinoud@duteca.tudelft.nl

No disclaimer: sue me if you like. I'll buy you a beer if you win.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/30/90)

-----
In article <46966@apple.Apple.COM>, das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes...
[...]

>Wait a minute.  Look at this statement.  The board manufacturer admits
>that his board is over the stated power limit.  This power limit has
>been published to board developers since the Mac II.  Its not new.
>Why aren't you mad at the board developer for trying to sell you a
>board which HE KNOWS will mess up your Mac!

I basically agreee with what you said (most of which I've admitted for
brevity).  But I think it's unfortunate that people are needing to worry about
power limits with the IIsi, etc.  It shouldn't be necessary and IMHO this
problem should have been avoided.

You probably shouldn't be quite so quick to blame board manufacturers: Apple's
own 24 bit accelerated video board is -- according to MacWeek -- not really
usable with the IIsi due to power draw.  That's unfortunate.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov29.005944.17800@scrumpy@.bnr.ca> eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca writes:
>I am puzzled.

   No kidding!

>Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
>possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?

   Why is it that every Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly become self-degreed
   hardware engineers after reading MacWeek? If they knew as much about
   systems as they think they did, then they'd know that CMOS is more
   expensive than TTL, and that you can't just drop in a faster clock without
   upgrading all the supporting circuitry with faster (translation: more
   expensve) components. For Pete's sake...do you want low cost or high
   performance? I know...I know...I can hear you now...

   "We want BOTH! We want fx's at Classic prices!
   No...we want fx's at NINTENDO prices...yeah!"

   Well, sorry, kids. This is the real world. You pay your money, and you
   take your choice. You don't get a discount for whining.

>And then the LC. Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
>much more expensive than a 68020?

   Yes. The name is "LC", for LOW COST COLOR. Why not an 020? It's a
   perfectly good, inexpensive CPU. We have a reduced-cost
   030 machine, called the MacIIsi.

>Will the cut in material price be worth more than the trouble of
>having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible architecture?

   Huh? "New, incompatible architecture"? Incompatible with WHAT?
   InfoWorld, in their reviews of the new machines, said all the
   software they tested worked fine.

>How much more would it have been to support eight bit color on the 13 inch
>monitor, rather that only on the 12 inch one?  10$? 20$?  And that would have
>been compatible with the IIsi and the IIci..

   Sigh. If we added support for the 13", you'd whine that you couldn't
   put a 24-bit card in it...

>And why does it have a 16 bit wide RAM bus?

   The same reason a Volkswagen doesn't have a fuel-injected V-8 engine...

>Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?

   Sigh. If it was 25mhz, you'd be whining that it wasn't 30...

>You see, before I can convince myself, or anyone else, to spend big
>money on those computers, I need to reasonably understand why they
>are so awkward.

   Sounds to me like you need to understand a helluva lot more that that.

>Oh, and while we're at it, why hasn't Apple come out with a "IIcfx",
>a 3-slot fx?

   Oh...uh...let's see....what was the reason...OH...yeah...
   the name "Macintosh IIcfx" is too long, and won't fit on the box.
   Besides, we'd charge more for it than a NINTENDO system, so you
   wouldn't buy it anyway.

David

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) (11/30/90)

From: das@Apple.COM (David Shayer)
Subject: Re: The New Macs: Greedy Compromises?

[lots of stuff replying to Eric Brunelle's Greedy
 Compromises article on the new Mac models....]

 David, I couldn't have said it better myself...

                              --clark
Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc           AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
                              BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employers relief..."

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (11/30/90)

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:

>As I've said before, I don't think Apple is the same company it used to be.

NeXT is the company Apple used to be...

Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                      E-mail: freek@fwi.uva.nl
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

khcg0492@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kenneth Holden Chang) writes:

>Why do you need a 68030 for word processing anyway?

I need a 68030 because with a 68030 maybe someday I shall have a
computer that can't be crashed by its applications.

One of these applications is a word processor.

davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) (12/01/90)

In article <37562@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
> The real ugly ducklings in the Mac product line were, in retrospect,
> the Mac II -- a 6-slot schoolbus with a VW engine, and the original
> SE -- ever look inside on of those suckers?  By the time a large

and...

> The IIx probably doesn't need to be mentioned ...
>
> Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

Maybe for you the Mac II and Mac IIx are ugly schoolbuses, but some
people really do use much of the expansion capability of those machines.
My employer produces a variety of I/O boards for things like digital
I/O, analog I/O (i.e. digitize signal and generating waveforms from
digital data), counter/timers, DMA, and even a DSP board.  There are
people out there using those machines to take and process data, and the
six slot Mac II's are the only Macs that fit their needs.

I'm not saying everybody needs them, but even schoolbuses have their uses.
I think you do have a good point, though, in that many people want/need
the horse power of the Mac II but don't need all the slots.  That's why
there are the IIcx, IIci, and now the IIsi.

Russell Davoli
National Instruments Corp.

Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu> treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:

>for example - here at Academic computing at OSU we probably would have bought
>a ton of LCs if it had a 68030 - even with the needed price increase.

Oh?  SO, tehn, why aren't you buying a ton of si's instead?

philip@pescader.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/01/90)

In article <46972@apple.Apple.COM>, anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:
|> From: das@Apple.COM (David Shayer)
|> Subject: Re: The New Macs: Greedy Compromises?
|>
|> [lots of stuff replying to Eric Brunelle's Greedy
|>  Compromises article on the new Mac models....]
|>
|>  David, I couldn't have said it better myself...

Heavy sounds of mutual back-slapping reverberate through the corridors of
Apple computer. Maybe some of the complaints about the new models are based
on ignorance of engineering, economics, etc. but I find it surprising that
no one at Apple seems concerned that their product line is going off into
so many different directions at once. Sort of like the Montey Python race
for people with no sense of direction.

OK, so these guys know what they're doing, and they don't need our help in
pointing out potential weaknesses in their product line. Just like everyone
complaining about the need for a low-cost Mac was being told they were
silly a few months ago.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

wittelw@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Walter I. Wittel-Jr) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov29.203507.25984@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>I must admit, I am not thrilled with Apple's new machines either.  One of
>the nice things about Macintosh computers was that they did what you wanted
>them to do, without a whole lot of hastle.  Like the wonderful GUI.
>
>But these new machines... yikes!  Just keeping up with all the little
>"oddities" of each machine is enough to make you go crazy.  Like....

[bunch of stuff deleted]

>As I've said before, I don't think Apple is the same company it used to be.
>They used to be very concerend with quailty and innovation.  You had to
>pay for it, but I thought it was worth it.  Now Apple is showing signs
>of making the Mac line look as clouded as the IBM clone market.  Money is
>more important to them than it used to be.  This I think is at our expense.
>And except for maybe the Classic, these machines still aren't as super-cheap.
>
>If anyone can cheer me up now ;-( I'd really appreicate it.... :-)

I don't know if this will help, but I think Apple made the right decision.
As you have said, they have always been overpriced.  This has eliminated
many personal users, or caused them to go to IBM clones -- too bad.  Every
new machine (going back to the Apple II+) has had some problems with existing
hardware/software compatability.  It usually takes about 6 months for the
manufacturers who really support their products to respond with modifications
and stickers for their boxes listing compatability.  That's just part of
bringing out a new line.  Most users going for the "cheeper" machines
probably won't add any cards anyway (many of the existing "power user" models
still exist).

Judging from the waiting list to get a Classic, a lot of people have been
waiting for this type of price/performance package.  Even though the prices
still aren't competitive with the clones (I think Apple should allow them),
you are getting a big name product (i.e.  "compare to IBM").

In the long run, this should help everyone.  How about a HyperCard stack to
simplify hardware/software compatability for the new models?

>Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
>Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
>Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
>____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

Walter I. Wittel, Jr.

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.180123.8414@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
!Heavy sounds of mutual back-slapping reverberate through the corridors of
!Apple computer. Maybe some of the complaints about the new models are based
!on ignorance of engineering, economics, etc. but I find it surprising that
!no one at Apple seems concerned that their product line is going off into
!so many different directions at once.

	Oh?  Like the general population and THEIR use for any kind of
machines?

 Sort of like the Montey Python race
!for people with no sense of direction.

	Aha!  Sounds like the marketplace for sure!

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (12/01/90)

anderson@Apple.COM (Clark Anderson) writes:
>From: das@Apple.COM (David Shayer)
>Subject: Re: The New Macs: Greedy Compromises?
>
>[lots of stuff replying to Eric Brunelle's Greedy
> Compromises article on the new Mac models....]
>
> David, I couldn't have said it better myself...

I agree!  (And I don't even work for Apple. :^) )

--
Geoff Allen          \  Computers are useless.
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \  They can only give you answers.

rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) (12/01/90)

In article <6376@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
>Just to give you an idea the Apple Australia recommended price in 1990 for an
>SE/30 2mb/HD40 was $AUS 9,950 (that's from the official price list).
>A Mac IIfx Colour System (IIfx 4/80, 4-8 display card, Hi-Res RGB Monitor,
>extended keyboard) set you back $AUS 19,025.
>
>Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.

Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
works, I'd say it's more likely that it's the Australian government
that is making the money.  Either that or the US gov't making money on
export duties.  Maybe both.  Maybe all three.

Ray Fischer
rfischer@cs.stanford.edu

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (12/01/90)

eric@bnrmtl.bnr.ca (Eric Brunelle):

> Take the Classic.  Why does it still have the old 8MHz 68000?  Wasn't it
> possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable? Is it that more
> expensive?  If so, was it absolutely impossible to speed up that old timer?

This may have to with RAM speed. A fast CPU with slow RAMs is stupid.
With RAM at $40/Meg, the increase in cost (CPU + RAM) would probably
be something less than $50, which would increase retail by about $150.
The $1000 line may have been more important than faster chips.

> And then the LC.  Why in heaven does it have a 68020?  Is a 68030 that
> much more expensive than a 68020?

My guess would be around $50-70. '020s are a commodity by now. '030s
may get all the press, but if they get 1/3 the sales I'd be surprised.

> Will Motorola continue for long to
> produce that chip, or will it not streamline to fewer models, like Intel
> did?

Don't bet on Motorola to eliminate 68k products, especially the '020.
The 68k's success has been in the embedded market. The '000 has always
done well there, and Motorola has spent the last few years convincing
the market that they need the power of the '020. It will probably outlast
the '030, which offers only an MMU over the '020. Very few embedded
applications need MMUs. Once the '040 sales are humming, I don't
imagine '030 sales will be very spectacular.

Intel's 80x86 family is almost exclusively a PC engine. How many XTs
are being sold these days? That's why Intel streamlines.

> Will the cut in material price be worth more than the trouble of
> having to adapt all software to this new, incompatible architecture?

What's incompatible? The only '030 instructions the '020 won't execute
are the MMU instructions. Unless the software is stupid and does
hardware specific things, the is no incompatibility.

>  And why does it have a 16 bit
> wide RAM bus?  How much did that save?

That's harder to judge. It could be space.  How packed is the
motherboard? It could be back to RAM cost. A 32-bit memory path
need a 32-bit wide memory. That doubles the RAM chip count.

Just my $.02 worth.

William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll
"The brain-dead should not be allowed to operate motor vehicles!" - Me

--
William R. Carroll  (Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale FL)
wcarroll@encore.com         uunet!gould!wcarroll
"The brain-dead should not be allowed to operate motor vehicles!" - Me

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) (12/01/90)

"ME>>"  Things I said
"das>" Things das@Apple.COM said

ME>>* "OK the LC has at 68020 so that puts it in line with Mac II power, but
ME>>oh, is has 16-bit pathway instead of 32-but, but it does has 32-bit to
ME>>the ROM."
das>The CPU spends a large percentage of time executing code out of ROM,
das>so it has a wider path to the ROM.  It has a 16 bit path to RAM to
das>save a little money.  Believe it or not, you run out of room for
das>traces on a PC board, and either you have to make a bigger board
das>(which costs more for the board material and the bigger case to hold
das>it) or you cut out some traces.

Yes, I know you run out of traces on a PC board.  I have made some
single-layer boards by hand.  No fun!  8-)  So is this the reason the path
is smaller to RAM?  If so, that seems like a major "cut" to save space.
A lot of time is spent reading RAM too.

das>
das>Anyway, why do you care?  The user has no clue how wide the data path is,
das>in fact the programmer doesn't even know how wide the data path is.  The
das>processor just gets the right bits for them.

Because now when I try to compare the speed between two machines, it becomes
much more difficult.  Which is faster, the Mac II (16 MHz, 68020) or the
LC (16 MHz, 68020)?  I can look at benchmarks and see the Mac II generally
is, but how will it affect the specific things I may want to do.  Will the
smaller path not be much influence, or will the programs I want to use
happen to make it a significant bottleneck.  For example, take the article
in MacWorld on the LC (December 1990).  On page 187 it shows two benchmarks,
one for "Fit Image to Window" and one for "Preview Image".  According to
MacWorld, they both excersize the processor similarily, but the first
test was faster on the Mac II, and the second faster on the LC.

ME>>* "And "The IIsi comes with 2 meg and has color, but unlike
ME>>the other machines, it uses main memory for video, so you loose up to
ME>>320K for 256 colors.  So 2 meg on a IIsi isn't like 2 Meg on another
machine.
das>What do you mean unlike other machines?  I'm writing this on a IIci,
das>which uses main memory for the on board video.

Good point.  I did forget about the IIci.  One of those little things that
you have to remember.

ME>>* "Then the IIsi is very fast and has color, but Mac II machines with
ME>>seperate
ME>>NuBus video cards do graphics faster because they have their own memory."
das>What a bunch of crap.  Have you done any benchmarks?

No, but MacWorld does.  MacWorld, Dec 1990, page 195.  "Display Adapters
Compared."  It compares the speed of a NuBus display and the IIsi display.
According to them, "...As a result, the Macintosh IIsi using built-in
video is about half the speed in 256-color mode as the Macintosh IIsi
using a NuBus video board."

das>Graphics go faster with on board video, not Nubus video, because the
das>processor can access the video RAM directly, instead of going through
das>the 10MHz Nubus controller.
das>

Yes, but the keyword is video RAM.  The 68030 is slowed down because it often
has to wait to use main memory because the Memory Decoder Unit (MDU) is
accessing the same memory while creating images on the screen.  There is
no seperate "video RAM".  (This is on page 193 of the MacWorld article.)

das>Anyway, if you feel that way, you can put a seperate viedo card in,
das>and not use the on board viedo.

Then the IIsi isn't as inexpensive.  Not to mention the $249 you have to
put out just to be able to plug a NuBus card (must buy an adapter board).
And there goes your one slot.

ME>>* "To get a numeric coprocessor for the IIsi you have to buy an adapter
ME>>card.  Either one which allows you to connect a NuBus card, or one that
ME>>allows you to connect an SE/30 board.  The LC has no Numeric Coprocessor
ME>>option, unless someone comes out with one on an expansion card.  The
Classic
ME>>doesn't have one, as expected."
das>Motorola doesn't make an FPU for the 68000.  Why don't you complain
das>to them?  Or is that somehow Apple's fault anyway?

That's why I said "as expected".  Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear.

das>
das>Most users don't do anything that requires an FPU, so its not
das>included standard, to save the average user money.  You can add one
das>if you run something like Mathematica (on a IIsi, God help you).
das>Third parties are going to sell FPU boards for the LC.

Yes, but it used to be that if you had a 68030 you knew you also had
a FPU.  Now this is another one of those "little things" you have to
remind yourself of.

ME>>* I won't even try to sort out all the monitor options for the LC.  Yikes!
das>What's wrong with the monitor options?  You can get a really cheap 12"
das>black and white monitor, or a slightly more expensive 12" color monitor,
das>or an even more expensive 13" color monitor.
das>
das>What's the problem, you want Apple to say
das>"It only works with this new, incompatible, monitor.  Buy it and shut up,
das>but don't try use your old Mac II monitor on it, because it won't work"?
das>That would make all the users real happy, I'm sure...

I'm sure too.  But now new users buying an LC have to deal with different
resolutions.  Why did Apple make the lower-resolution 12" monitor?  (I know,
money.)  Try helping a computer novice pick between 512x384 pixels and
640x480 pixels.  Their first question: "What's a pixel?"  Why didn't Apple
lower the price of the 640x480 a little more, instead of putting in time
and resources (== $$) into making a new one?

ME>>* The Mac Classic has 1 Meg soldered to the board, expandable to 4 Meg, and
ME>>can't use 4 Meg SIMMS.  The LC comes with 2 Meg soldered to the board,
ME>>expandable to 10 Meg.  To IIsi has no memory soldered on board, and is
ME>>expandable to 17 Meg.  Then there are all the different configurations
ME>>and new SIMM sizes....
das>Like all Mac Plus based machines (including the SE), the Classic is limited
das>to 4MB total RAM.  If you put 2 4MB SIMMs in, you'd get 8MB, thus wasting
das>4MB.  Why should Apple support such a stupid memory configuration?

Becuase now if Classic users ever run out of memory, they have to buy a new
machine instead of throwing out four 1 Meg SIMMS.

das>
das>The memory is soldered in because its cheaper and more reliable to not
das>use sockets.  You got a problem with reliability engineering?

Nope.  But why 1 Meg in the Classic, and 2 Meg in the LC, and none in
the IIsi?  Again, it makes the buyer's life a little more complicated.

Q:"If memory goes bad, how much of a hastle will it be to replace it?"
A:"On the Classic...., on the LC...., on the IIsi...."
Q:"If I want to expand memory to x amount, how much will it cost?"
A:"On the Classic...., on the LC...., on the IIsi...." (This depends on
whether any SIMMS will have to thrown out, and what sizes they are.)

All these things are simple enough if you are looking at one computer,
but if you're trying to compare different models, all these little
questions become overwhelming.

ME>>And one thing you almost never had to worry about on any computer was
ME>>power.  Expansion cards on the LC and IIsi will have to have very small
ME>>power budgets, and it looks like many NuBus cards will have problems.
ME>>To quote Andrew Lewis, president of DayStar Digital (MacWeek 11/6/90),
ME>>"'Almost all the products we've done have busted the power budget.'"
ME>>According to MacWeek, many times when this happens, you'll have to replace
ME>>the whole motherbaord!  How many NuBus cards available now list power
ME>>useage?  Yet another thing we have to watch out for....
das>Wait a minute.  Look at this statement.  The board manufacturer admits
das>that his board is over the stated power limit.  This power limit has
das>been published to board developers since the Mac II.  Its not new.
das>Why aren't you mad at the board developer for trying to sell you a
das>board which HE KNOWS will mess up your Mac!
das>
das>The power limits haven't changed since the Mac II.  In previous
das>machines, the board developers used more than their allotment,
das>expecting to draw the extra power reserved for other, hopefully
das>unused, slots.  But put 6 of those boards in a Mac II, or 3 in
das>a IIcx, amd you'll have exactly the same problem.

Yes, this is true.  But didn't Apple's 8-24 GC card (or one of the new
ones) also go over budget?  The point is though, there are a lot of cards
out there that can cause problems.  Is Apple saying well they shouldn't
be like that, so that's not our problem?  That's just denying reality I think.
You end up punishing the people buying the computers for their practices.
But even worse: what about the poor users who don't even think about power,
plug in there old NuBus board, and ruin their computer.  Once again, another
little thing you have to watch out for.  And a very serious one at that.

ME>>I teach introductory computer courses to some people who have never even
ME>>used a computer before.  One lady came and took one of my classes because
ME>>she couldn't use the computer card system in our local library.  At the
ME>>end of the course, I usually give the students a run down of the Macintosh
ME>>line, because maone big headache.
ME>>With the original Macintosh lines, there wasn't all these "catches"
ME>>you had to watch out for.
das>Ok, suppose Apple went back to a nice, simple line.  A Mac Plus or a
das>Mac II, or nothing.  Would that make you happy?

No, but instead of Apple trying to cut every little penny, keep
the simplisitic elegance of the Macintosh computer as a whole, and maybe
cut their profit margin a little more.

das>
das>I can tell you one thing, it would cause a shareholder lawsuit.
das>
das>You think life is complicated, try using a DOS machine.  Do you want
das>8088, 8086, 80286, 80386, 80386SX, or 80486?  4MHz, 6MHz, 10MHz,
das>12MHz, 16MHz, 20MHz, 25MHz, or 33MHz?  Lets talk video.  Do you want
das>a monochrome card, a monochrome Hercules graphics card, an CGA graphics
das>card, an EGA graphics card, a VGA graphics card, or a PGA graphics card?
das>(Or the new video "standard" IBM introduced a few weeks ago, I think
das>its called XGA.)  Don't forget to set the dip switches when you install
das>the video card!  When's the last time you set a dip switch on a Mac?
das>And don't worry about configuring multiple monitors on the same machine,
das>because the system won't support that.
das>Since you probably can't fit all your programs in 640K, you'll need more
das>memory.  Do you want extended memory, expanded memory, extended expanded,
das>or the RAM du jour?  Since you probably didn't buy a True Blue machine,
das>because you don't like being gouged, you got a clone.  Does it have
das>a good BIOS, from a reputable compoany like Pheonix, or some noname
das>job?
das>What kinds of slots do you have?  8 bit XT standard? 16 bit AT standard?
das>Half height? 32 bit MCA?  32 bit EISA?
das>I'm not even going to get into networks, because I don't know enough
das>to make them work on a PC.

Exactly!  Yes!  Don't you see this is beginning to happen to you!  These
new machines are creeping in all these little exceptions and things
to be careful of.

Frankly, I am very surpised your reaction was so nasty.  I can understand
Apple getting sick of people complaining all the time.  But that's our
job as consumers.  My NeXT computer isn't going to be a Mac, and I am very
sad about that.  I feel it is my responsibility to point out things I consider
mistakes, otherwise how do I expect you to avoid/fix them?  Maybe I'll
think twice about it next time.

brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com (Brandon Lovested) (12/01/90)

In article <16864@natinst.natinst.com> davoli@natinst.com (Russell Davoli) writes:

>Maybe for you the Mac II and Mac IIx are ugly schoolbuses, but some
>people really do use much of the expansion capability of those machines.

Agreed.  Though I believe the IIx will not be available (generally) for
consumers, it will be available from Apple, because it's just too important
for hardware/software prototyping and evaluation.

BRANDON G. LOVESTED        ::::=:::==::===:====   FOR EVERY VISION,
Software Design Engineer   ::::=:::==::===:====   THERE IS AN
Grass Valley Group         ::::=:::==::===:====   EQUAL AND OPPOSITE
brandonl@gold.gvg.tek.com  ::::=:::==::===:====   REVISION.

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/02/90)

Just some more fuel for the flames...

The Stanford Bookstore has notices up announcing a 2-month wait for
delivery of Classics (complete with Apple's customer service number
for anyone who wants to complain).

So it seems that Apple has vastly _underestimated_ the demand for a
low-end machine (does this support the argument that Apple has good
business sense? I don't know).

Presumably the si and LC will also do well. Great. But I still wonder
why Apple has not managed to do better at maintaining the conceptual
simplicity of the Mac line. It's all very well to argue that the PC
range is worse, but Apple has had much tighter control over its
software/hardware line than IBM has. Could it be that Apple is trying
to create its own clones?
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.201432.19210@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
> Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
> duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
> works, I'd say it's more likely that it's the Australian government
> that is making the money.  Either that or the US gov't making money on
> export duties.  Maybe both.  Maybe all three.

I can't speak for Australia, but here in New Zealand, Mac prices are also
very high, and the only government rake-off in the price is the standard
12.5% GST that is charged on everything.

-- Bruce Hoult
   Bruce.Hoult@bbs.actrix.gen.nz

In article <1990Nov30.201432.19210@Neon.Stanford.EDU> rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:
>In article <6376@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
>>Just to give you an idea the Apple Australia recommended price in 1990 for an
>>SE/30 2mb/HD40 was $AUS 9,950 (that's from the official price list).
>>A Mac IIfx Colour System (IIfx 4/80, 4-8 display card, Hi-Res RGB Monitor,
>>extended keyboard) set you back $AUS 19,025.
>>
>>Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.
>
>Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
>duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
>works, I'd say it's more likely that it's the Australian government
>that is making the money.  Either that or the US gov't making money on
>export duties.  Maybe both.  Maybe all three.

How much is an australian dollar worth in US $?
If it is export duties, find yourself a constitutional lawyer with nothing
better to do than beat his head against the wall...  "No tax or duty shall
be laid on articles exported from any State."-- Article I, Section 9, US
Constitution.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.205419.14100@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>>>"OK the LC has at 68020 so that puts it in line with Mac II power, but
>>>oh, is has 16-bit pathway instead of 32-but, but it does has 32-bit to
>>>the ROM."
>>Anyway, why do you care?  The user has no clue how wide the data path is,
>Because now when I try to compare the speed between two machines, it becomes
>much more difficult.  Which is faster, the Mac II (16 MHz, 68020) or the
>LC (16 MHz, 68020)?  I can look at benchmarks and see the Mac II generally
>is, but how will it affect the specific things I may want to do.  Will the
>smaller path not be much influence, or will the programs I want to use
>happen to make it a significant bottleneck.  For example, take the article
>in MacWorld on the LC (December 1990).  On page 187 it shows two benchmarks,
>one for "Fit Image to Window" and one for "Preview Image".  According to
>MacWorld, they both excersize the processor similarily, but the first
>test was faster on the Mac II, and the second faster on the LC.

If one test is faster on one machine, and the other test is faster on
the other machine, my conclusion would be that MacWorld is wrong when
they say that both tests exercise the processor similarly.

But the real test is, is the machine fast enough for you, when you do
your work on it?

>>Graphics go faster with on board video, not Nubus video, because the
>>processor can access the video RAM directly, instead of going through
>>the 10MHz Nubus controller.
>Yes, but the keyword is video RAM.  The 68030 is slowed down because it often
>has to wait to use main memory because the Memory Decoder Unit (MDU) is
>accessing the same memory while creating images on the screen.  There is
>no seperate "video RAM".  (This is on page 193 of the MacWorld article.)

Yes, video access is faster with on board video, while non-video
computing is slower.  You have to decide if you want faster number
crunching or faster redraw.  I mainly compile, so I want faster
processing, thus I use a nubus video card on my Mac IIci.  I know people
who want faster redraw time, so they use the on-board video.

But I think this type of decision is beyond what most customers care
to learn about the computer.

>>Most users don't do anything that requires an FPU, so its not
>>included standard, to save the average user money.  You can add one
>>if you run something like Mathematica (on a IIsi, God help you).
>>Third parties are going to sell FPU boards for the LC.
>Yes, but it used to be that if you had a 68030 you knew you also had
>a FPU.  Now this is another one of those "little things" you have to
>remind yourself of.

Again, I disagree completely.  Apple has been putting out tech notes for
a long time saying don't assume that if the machine has one feature
(a 68030) it will have another feature (a 68882).  Instead, use the
system calls to check for the exact feature you want.

>I'm sure too.  But now new users buying an LC have to deal with different
>resolutions.  Why did Apple make the lower-resolution 12" monitor?  (I know,
>money.)  Try helping a computer novice pick between 512x384 pixels and
>640x480 pixels.  Their first question: "What's a pixel?"  Why didn't Apple
>lower the price of the 640x480 a little more, instead of putting in time
>and resources (== $$) into making a new one?

Helping someone pick between the two monitors is easy.  You show them
how much text shows up in MacWrite on one screen, and show them how
much more shows up on the other screen.  Then you tell them the price
difference and let them decide if the extra screen size is worth the
money.

>Nope.  But why 1 Meg in the Classic, and 2 Meg in the LC, and none in
>the IIsi?  Again, it makes the buyer's life a little more complicated.
How does it make the buyer's life more complicated?  They tell the
dealer how much memory they would like in their new Mac, and the
dealer puts it in before they ever see the machine.  That's what we
did in the dealership I worked in.  We didn't worry the customer with
what Apple's standard confidurations were, we asked them what they
wanted, and put that system together for them.

>Exactly!  Yes!  Don't you see this is beginning to happen to you!  These
>new machines are creeping in all these little exceptions and things
>to be careful of.

I think we have a couple of basic disagreements here.   First, I don't
think an average buyer should buy a computer based on technical specs
like MHz, MIPS, processor type, data path width, on-board vs nubus video,
or any of that crap.  They should buy a machine that has things they
care about.  They should decide if they need a color screen, and how
large a screen.  They should try the software they plan on using, and
buy a machine that's fast enough for them when it runs their software.
Finally, they need to balance what they want with what they can pay for.

Second, I think its inevitable that the Mac line become, in your words,
more complicated.  Apple has to bring out new machines, and the new
machine have to have more features, or be different in some way, or else
why bother to bring them out at all.  Thus you inevitably get a bunch
of machine with slightly different features.  But I think this is good,
it gives the user a large range of choices.  I think you are advocating
stagnation.

David
No disclaimer- screw the lawyers.

In article <1990Nov30.221018.15018@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>Exactly!  Yes!  Don't you see this is beginning to happen to you!  These
>new machines are creeping in all these little exceptions and things
>to be careful of.
>
>Frankly, I am very surpised your reaction was so nasty.  I can understand
>Apple getting sick of people complaining all the time.  But that's our
>job as consumers.  My NeXT computer isn't going to be a Mac, and I am very
>sad about that.  I feel it is my responsibility to point out things I consider
>mistakes, otherwise how do I expect you to avoid/fix them?  Maybe I'll
>think twice about it next time.

Will that be an '030 or an '040?  Cube or slab?  Optical drive or 2.8MB floppy?
Grayscale, 16 bit color, or perhaps 24?
See, it's a fairly new machine, and you already have complications.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>The IIsi comes with 2 meg and has color, but unlike
>the other machines, it uses main memory for video, so you loose up to
>320K for 256 colors.  So 2 meg on a IIsi isn't like 2 Meg on another machine.
>Will it have enough room for System 7.0?

First, it's the same arrangement as with the IIci.  Second, with RAM costing
US$39/MB from the cheapest mail-order places, who cares how much Apple put
in?  Third, the elimination of the need for a video card is an improvement
in simplicity, and one reason for the IIci's popularity.

>Then the IIsi is very fast and has color, but Mac II machines with seperate
>(sic) NuBus video cards do graphics faster because they have their own memory.

Benchmark tests in the major magazines showed no decrease in video performance
compared to old-style Mac II machines with 8-bit video cards.  The integrated
video on the IIci and IIsi is speeded up compared to NuBus video by the
elimination of the narrow NuBus lines and the bottleneck they create.
This effect, as I understand, is offset by arbitration between the CPU's and
the video circuitry's use of RAM, so there is no significant net change
either way.  Certainly, I'm not noticing any.

>As I've said before, I don't think Apple is the same company it used to be.
>They used to be very concerend with quailty and innovation.  You had to
>pay for it, but I thought it was worth it.  Now Apple is showing signs
>of making the Mac line look as clouded as the IBM clone market.  Money is
>more important to them than it used to be.  This I think is at our expense.
>And except for maybe the Classic, these machines still aren't as super-cheap.

The new machines are competitive with DOS boxes across the line.  Remember that
the IIsi beats the fastest 386 machines and has video that puts Super-VGA to
shame.  Apart from that, the Mac is a vastly better platform than DOS, not
least because of its interface consistency and (relative to DOS) ease of use.

While I agree that Apple has made some decisions that make life unnecessarily
complex (such as the trivially-cheap extra amount of VRAM that they could
have just put into the LC to start with and be done with it, instead of having
to go through an upgrade), users without money to burn have always turned to
third-party products when shopping for RAM, storage, monitors, keyboards, mice.
You could buy a fully-configured, fully-Apple-labeled system, but it would
cost you much more.  The new models still give you this option.

The wealthy and computer-illiterate user would, as you suggest, be better
off buying the NeXT machine, where everything he'll ever need is bundled and
the machine itself is powerful enough to become an heirloom passed down to
his children.

Oh, and, incidentally, the IIsi does have 1MB RAM soldered to the motherboard.
With four slots, it is upgradeable to 5MB, 9MB or 17MB.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:

>In article <1990Nov29.185737.17454@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu>
>           treeves@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Terry N Reeves) writes:
>> We cannot say "x million people bought the classic, therefore apple was
>> right not to use a 16mz 68000" We have to ask "would x+y million have
>> bought it if they had gone 16mz?" You can bet apple asked. They need
>> to hear from those "y" people if they were wrong about how big "y" is.

>My point is not that they sold <x> machines, my point is that they can not
>keep up with the demand for the machines they have released.  <x>+<y>
>machines would *not* be sold, because Apple can't even build the <x>
>number.  Once the demand falls below their capacity, then they'll
>(presumably) trot out a better machine to entice more of those people in
>the <y> camp.

>Even if they could mean the demand of <x>+<y> people, your comments
>overlook another point.  It's not how many people own Macs, it's how much
>profit they (Apple as a company, in business to make money) get out of it,
>long term.  This is not some weird aberration of Apple, Inc.  This is
>capitalism in action.

For some reason, all the "Apple is in business to make money" defenders
of capitalism show an incomplete understanding of its realities.

Apple's margin on the new machines is adequate.  The machines can easily be
assembled at automated plants (the IIsi in Fremont, the Classic and LC in
Singapore).  All that is required to meet higher demand is to rent a factory,
rent robots, connect them to computers running the same program as the existing
plants, and start churning out more low-cost Macs, all of which will also bear
an adequate profit margin.  If the Classic were to be brought out as a
faster machine, it would still have a pretty high profit margin and Apple
could have opened another plant (possibly with leased equipment to minimize
risk) and make many more Macs, much more money, and really threaten DOS.

The market is not static.  Manufacturing capacity is not static.  For an
example of how markets can be expanded, look at the NeXT machine.  Did you
see all this I'm-defecting-to-NeXT material on the comp.sys.mac groups
when NeXT first came out with its way-overpriced, way-underpowered cube?
Its new line, by being cheaper and faster, means that the company will
survive.  Now THIS is capitalism at work.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:

>In article <1990Nov29.203507.25984@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>>* "OK the LC has at 68020 so that puts it in line with Mac II power, but
>>oh, is has 16-bit pathway instead of 32-but, but it does has 32-bit to
>>the ROM."
>The CPU spends a large percentage of time executing code out of ROM,
>so it has a wider path to the ROM.  It has a 16 bit path to RAM to
>save a little money.  Believe it or not, you run out of room for
>traces on a PC board, and either you have to make a bigger board
>(which costs more for the board material and the bigger case to hold
>it) or you cut out some traces.

Are you saying the extra inch of board space and the extra inch of case
required to accomodate the extra traces would significantly add to the cost
of making the LC?

>Anyway, why do you care?

Because a 16-bit data path slows the LC down.  Perceptibly, according to
those reviewers who actually tested one.

Regarding your assertion that the average user doesn't do anything that
uses an FPU: besides spreadsheets, there are Adobe Type Manager and TrueType
(I don't know for a fact that TrueType makes use of the FPU, but if it doesn't,
it must be really slow).  Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic (ATM) splines to
display text on the screen is a very floating-point-math-intensive process.

reinoud@duteca (Reinoud Lamberts) writes:
>A narrower memory bus [on the LC's 020 CPU] greatly reduces system cost:
>fewer memory chips necessary, fewer bus buffers, cheaper printed circuit board
>(smaller, fewer traces, maybe fewer layers). A 68020 is nearly as fast
>as a 68030, and if the 16 bit bus accesses are handled cleverly (doing
>a fast page mode access on every second 16 bit word when possible) you
>can tweak a very nice performance out of it.

As a result of its narrower memory bus, the LC delivers only roughly 75%
of the Mac II's performance in non-FPU tasks.

The 030 is roughly 25% to 30% faster than an 020 running at the same clock
speed.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

reinoud@duteca (Reinoud Lamberts) writes:
>Take the Classic: the speed of the Mac Plus was, and is, good enough
>to do many useful things. Add an ADB port, a superdrive, and more than
>SE speed, subtract $$$ from its price, and there is a *very* nice
>entry level Mac.

Actually, about 93% of the SE's performance, according to MacWeek's testing.

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (12/02/90)

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:

>>possible to give it the same CMOS 16MHz 68000 as the Portable?

>   Why is it that every Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly become self-degreed
>   hardware engineers after reading MacWeek? If they knew as much about
>   systems as they think they did, then they'd know that CMOS is more
>   expensive than TTL, and that you can't just drop in a faster clock without
>   upgrading all the supporting circuitry with faster (translation: more
>   expensve) components. For Pete's sake...do you want low cost or high
>   performance? I know...I know...I can hear you now...

>   "We want BOTH! We want fx's at Classic prices!
>   No...we want fx's at NINTENDO prices...yeah!"

>   Well, sorry, kids. This is the real world. You pay your money, and you
>   take your choice. You don't get a discount for whining.

Your frustration with insatiable users is understandable (after all, Apple
stops treating its customers like dirt for the first time since the early
eighties, and what do you get? Gratitude? No - whining!) but NeXT, which
lives in the same real world you do (you can drive there from Cupertino)
manages to sell a 25MHz 040 machine with reportedly twice the power
of the IIfx and superior everything except color (but admittedly not too many
software titles) for $3,500 at the educational price, and still make a profit.
In fact, everybody expects this new price to assure the company's survival.
This is not unreasonable. This is not whining.  This is NOW.  Why can't you do
that?  Do you really believe that there will always be a Great Software Gap
between you and them?  Look at the slowly-fading-away IBM micro division.  If
you ignore the whining, irritating though it may be, you will share their fate
(and there won't be any corporate pinstriped pointy-headed types who will buy
YOUR products because of brand loyalty to the company in which their family
owned stock for three generations).

>   Sigh. If we added support for the 13", you'd whine that you couldn't
>   put a 24-bit card in it...

David, be serious, that extra 256kB of VRAM costs you $25!  Instead you
make it into this big-deal upgrade, have to distribute it, have to have it
installed (at extra cost) by authorized dealers... Why couldn't you put in
this $50 part, instead of a $25 part, in the LC at the factory and be
done with it?  Look at all the public-relations damage you're suffering
because of this petty-looking decision!

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) (12/03/90)

rfischer@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Raymond C. Fischer) writes:

>In article <6376@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au> rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:
>>Is Apple greedy? YOU BET THEY ARE.

>Either that, or your government is being greedy and charging high import
>duty taxes.  From what I know about how Apple works and how Australia
>works, I'd say it's more likely that it's the Australian government
>that is making the money.  Either that or the US gov't making money on
>export duties.  Maybe both.  Maybe all three.

>Ray Fischer
>rfischer@cs.stanford.edu

To my knowledge, the Australian government puts on 20% sales tax and with
an exchange rate of roughly $US 0.80c = $AUS 1.00, there's no way in hell
that that explains our prices.

An example: Mac LC, 512K Dram card, 13" monitor = $AUS 4972 (consortium)

Subtract 20% sales tax and allow for exchange rate above = $US 3,182.

How does that compare to YOUR consortium prices?
--
+ John Mazzocchi              +   "The mind is not a vessel to be filled, +
+ Melbourne, Victoria         +    but a fire to be lighted" - Plutarch   +
+ Australia                   +
+ rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  +

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/03/90)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes in a message on 29 Nov
90:

> Finally, the IIsi.  Why does it have a 20MHz 68030, and not a 25MHz one?
> Is it only so that it does not cannibalize the IIci, or is there a real
> difference in cost?  How much?  And why that strange new slot?
GD>  Why not a 50Mhz one? Why not 8 Meg in the minimum configuration?
GD> Why not sell it for $1500? Why not give you a case of really
GD> great beer with it?

um, would that be Keystone Beer?  :-)

*  "But Windows slows performance, and its interface isn't as  *
*   elegant as the Mac's.  It's a little like listening to     *
*   Bruce Willis play the blues:  technically correct but      *
*   soulless."                                                 *
*  CIS: 70721,504                                              *
*  America OnLine: AdamFrix                                    *
*  Internet: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG             *

Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix
INET: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes in a message on 30 Nov 90:

> For Pete's sake...do you want low cost or high performance?
> I know...I know...I can hear you now...
>
>    "We want BOTH! We want fx's at Classic prices!
>    No...we want fx's at NINTENDO prices...yeah!"

Well, OK, I'll compromise--how about a Classic (2/40) at Nintendo prices?

:-)

(good post, btw.)

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix
INET: Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

n67786@assari.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (12/03/90)

I'd like to add my share of the knowledge of high mac prices outside us.
Up till very lately the Mac prices in Finland seem to follow a very
simple rule: the price here in fmk is egual in number to ten times the
dollar price. It make one wonder a bit since the official exchange rate
for us dollars is: 1 dollar = 3.7 fmk. Now if thy're not greedy then I'm
presiden Eisenhower, right? Just lately the prices have dropped dropped
some 20 % so that now it's only eight times the price in dollars, but
dollar now counts to 3.6 fmk. I might add that the government charges
some 20 to 23 % on taxes and such for imported computer stuff, but still
they aoud very greedy to me. And the formula I mentioned earlier used
retail prices in states that allready have the dealer cut in them!
Sure makes one wonder..
--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov30.205419.14100@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:

>Good point.  I did forget about the IIci.  One of those little things that
>you have to remember.

Look at the Macintosh product line again.  Every Macintosh except for the
IIfx now has onboard video, and I suspect the fx's successor will also.
And except for the LC, with its VRAM, all use the main RAM for this video.
Is that clear enough?

>Yes, but it used to be that if you had a 68030 you knew you also had
>a FPU.  Now this is another one of those "little things" you have to
>remind yourself of.

It used to be that if you had a Macintosh you knew you also had a 68000.
No this is another one of those "little things" you have to remind yourself
of.  How awful of Apple to come out with the Mac II!

>I'm sure too.  But now new users buying an LC have to deal with different
>resolutions.  Why did Apple make the lower-resolution 12" monitor...? Why
>didn't Apple lower the price of the 640x480 a little more, instead of
>putting in time and resources (== $$) into making a new one?

No matter how you look at it, the higher-resolution monitor costs more
to manufacture.  Sure you can say maybe Apple should reduce its profit
margins on the 13" monitor, but you can also say Apple should reduce its
profit margins on the 12" and make that cheaper as well.  If you give
both monitors equal markups, the 12" is always going to be cheaper.

>ME>>* The Mac Classic has 1 Meg soldered to the board, expandable to 4 Meg,
>ME>>and can't use 4 Meg SIMMS.  The LC comes with 2 Meg soldered to the
>ME>>board, expandable to 10 Meg.  To IIsi has no memory soldered on board,
>ME>>and is expandable to 17 Meg.

Heh?  The IIsi does have 1M soldered to the board.  That's why the
standard configurations are 2M, 5M, and 17M -- 1M soldered in, plus
four 256K, 1M, or 4M SIMMs.

>das>The power limits haven't changed since the Mac II.  In previous
>das>machines, the board developers used more than their allotment,
>das>expecting to draw the extra power reserved for other, hopefully
>das>unused, slots.  But put 6 of those boards in a Mac II, or 3 in
>das>a IIcx, amd you'll have exactly the same problem.
>
>Yes, this is true.  But didn't Apple's 8-24 GC card (or one of the new
>ones) also go over budget?  The point is though, there are a lot of cards
>out there that can cause problems.

That's the "but Johnny does it" argument.  Just because Johnny (or Apple)
does it, doesn't mean it's right.

>But even worse: what about the poor users who don't even think about power,
>plug in there old NuBus board, and ruin their computer.  Once again, another
>little thing you have to watch out for.  And a very serious one at that.

???  If the computer can't supply the power that the board is trying
to draw, the board won't work.  I've never heard of equipment getting
fried because of too *little* power.

>No, but instead of Apple trying to cut every little penny, keep
>the simplisitic elegance of the Macintosh computer as a whole, and maybe
>cut their profit margin a little more.

Again, that's a separate argument.  You say Apple should have cut its
profit margins on the old systems; I could just as easily say that Apple
should cut its profit margins on the new ones.  No matter what margin
we agree upon, the new machines are going to be cheaper.

>My NeXT computer isn't going to be a Mac...

So you will get to choose between optical disks and hard disks, floppies
(in a nonstandard 2.8M format) or no floppies, two types of color
hardware or monochrome... I'm not sure I see the "simplistic elegance" here.

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.084149.25494@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
> [ a lot of stuff ]
>Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic (ATM) splines to
>display text on the screen is a very floating-point-math-intensive process.

  I thought that splines, as used in text operations, worked in very
small numeric ranges.  Is there a reason that fixed-point math can't
be used?  I'd guess that TrueType would use fixed-point math; it ought
to be faster than floating-point, to, at least until Motorola's FPUs
speed up a bit.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.084149.25494@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
> [ a lot of stuff ]
>Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic (ATM) splines to
>display text on the screen is a very floating-point-math-intensive process.

  I thought that splines, as used in text operations, worked in very
small numeric ranges.  Is there a reason that fixed-point math can't
be used?  I'd guess that TrueType would use fixed-point math; it ought
to be faster than floating-point, too, at least until Motorola's FPUs
speed up a bit.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/04/90)

rxcjm@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Mazzocchi) writes:

>An example: Mac LC, 512K Dram card, 13" monitor = $AUS 4972 (consortium)

>Subtract 20% sales tax and allow for exchange rate above = $US 3,182.

>How does that compare to YOUR consortium prices?

  A similar situation exists in NZ (which sources its Apple products
via Apple Australia).

  For example, a IIsi 5/80 bare CPU box (no keyboard) costs $NZ
8,625...  consortium price to students...  Subtract off 12.5% sales
tax and allowing for an exchange rate of $NZ 1 = $US 0.60 gives a US
cost of $US 4,600.

  Compare that to Stanford's price here, which INCLUDES an Extended
Keyboard II, and goes for $US 2,934...

  Now can freight, shipping, costs etc really explain a >50% increase
in cost?

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Today's maxim:  All socialists are failed capitalists

n67786@assari.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (12/04/90)

In article <RANG.90Dec3133606@nexus.cs.wisc.edu> rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>     I thought that splines, as used in text operations, worked in very
>   small numeric ranges.  Is there a reason that fixed-point math can't
>   be used?  I'd guess that TrueType would use fixed-point math; it ought
>   to be faster than floating-point, too, at least until Motorola's FPUs
>   speed up a bit.                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Huh? Where did you get that one? Fixed point surely is faster than SANE
floating point on a machine without 881/882, but 882 is almost as fast in
floating point as 030 is in integer calculation and most surely faster than
fixed point that's been emulated by integer calculations. You can verify
the speed difference yourself with a copy of the MandelZot, if you don't
believe my word for it.

--

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:

>In article <1990Nov30.205419.14100@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:

>>Good point.  I did forget about the IIci.  One of those little things that
>>you have to remember.

>Look at the Macintosh product line again.  Every Macintosh except for the
>IIfx now has onboard video, and I suspect the fx's successor will also.
>And except for the LC, with its VRAM, all use the main RAM for this video.
>Is that clear enough?

  Isn't it strange how what is probably the better engineering design
(namely the separate video RAM in the LC eliminating memory bus contention
between the processor and the video circuitry) ends up in the lowest
performing Mac II...

  On-board video in the high end machines is just begging for separate
VRAM and an on-board graphics coprocessor... (maybe in the II/040??)

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (12/04/90)

In article <109755@convex.convex.com> ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:
>In article <1990Nov30.205419.14100@grape.ecs.clarkson.edu> anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>
>>My NeXT computer isn't going to be a Mac...
>
>So you will get to choose between optical disks and hard disks, floppies
>(in a nonstandard 2.8M format) or no floppies, two types of color
>hardware or monochrome... I'm not sure I see the "simplistic elegance" here.

This is the second time in as many days that this little bit of misinformation
has been spread, so it's time to correct it.

- *All* NeXT machines come with floppies.
- If you don't like the "non-standard" 2.8 megabytes available on the
  floppies (since having only half as much disk space is *so* attractive),
  then you can use the standard 1.44MB format (admittedly it's the IBM
  standard - you can't win them all - but at least it's as standard you
  can get).
- *All* NeXT machines come with hard disks.

Well, at least you didn't say that buyers had to choose between a 68030
and the 68040, as somebody did yesterday.

As for all those other "nasty choices" (color and whether to get an
optical), the average user doesn't have to worry about them.  The
NeXTDimension color is a production-quality 32-bit board, coprocessor,
and monitor system that is priced accordingly.  No average user will
have to bother with it.  So for them, the choice is color (get a
NeXTStation color), or no color (get a basic NeXTStation).

Pretty simple.

The fact of the matter is that NeXT has stuck pretty well to its
guns on the issue of keeping the lowest common denominator at
a high level.  All pieces of software written for the NeXT can
count on having a floating-point processor, at least 8 megs of
RAM, a DSP chip, unix, protected virtual memory, display postscript,
ethernet, and a screen with at least 1120x832 resolution.
So can NeXT users.  Software that can count on using more advanced
features can take more liberties and therefore do more things.

Apple used to be that way too.  Even the old 128K Macs came loaded
with more features than most of its competing IBM systems could shake
a stick at.  And they have *slowly* raised the common denominator since.

But they've gone away from that philosophy since, and each machine now
has strange combinations of present and missing pieces of hardware and
hence abilities.  Yes, of course they've done it to save money, and
sometimes for the all-important "line positioning" factor.  However,
a few dollars more here and there could have made a big difference in
consistency and lessening consumer confusion (e.g. raising the price of
the LC by $25 to pay for the added VRAM needed to support the 13" color
monitor fully).

So now Apple has lost much of that "simplistic elegance".  They're still
much better in that regard than IBM and it's compatibles (thank God),
but they don't approach that of NeXT or the old Apple.

- Trent Lange

*         UCLA:  Perfecting the art of arthroscopic surgery.           *

simogori@titisa.is.titech.ac.jp (shimogori nobuhiro) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec4.063839.13805@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
>  For example, a IIsi 5/80 bare CPU box (no keyboard) costs $NZ
>8,625...  consortium price to students...  Subtract off 12.5% sales
>tax and allowing for an exchange rate of $NZ 1 = $US 0.60 gives a US
>cost of $US 4,600.

Don't worry.  The situation doesn't much differ in Japan either.
The same thing costs approximatly $US 4,500 at the shop which is said to be
the cheapest in Tokyo.  If you include the sales tax(3%) it becomes
expensive than yours.
Only the rich has a color mac at home.
--
Nobuhiro Shimogori			Dept. of Information Science,
simogori@is.titech.ac.jp		Tokyo Institute of Technology,

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.092217.26859@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:

>This is the second time in as many days that this little bit of misinformation
>has been spread, so it's time to correct it.
>
>- *All* NeXT machines come with floppies.

Funny, I have a brochure for the original NeXT cube -- still being sold
at discount prices -- right in front of me and the only removeable media
it mentions is the optical disk.

>As for all those other "nasty choices" (color and whether to get an
>optical), the average user doesn't have to worry about them.  The
>NeXTDimension color is a production-quality 32-bit board, coprocessor,
>and monitor system that is priced accordingly.

So NeXT eliminates those nasty choices by making them so expensive no
one can afford them, huh?  Well, at $20 million a pop, the average user
doesn't have to worry about buying a Cray, either.  I'm sorry you feel
Apple is offering the users too many choices.  Some people *like* having
this flexibility.  Yesterday, I had to make the choice of whether to
continue using the 8-bit internal video on my Mac IIsi or buy a 24-bit
RasterOps graphics board for $399.

>The fact of the matter is that NeXT has stuck pretty well to its
>guns on the issue of keeping the lowest common denominator at
>a high level.  All pieces of software written for the NeXT can
>count on having a floating-point processor, at least 8 megs of
>RAM, a DSP chip, unix, protected virtual memory, display postscript,
>ethernet, and a screen with at least 1120x832 resolution.
>So can NeXT users.  Software that can count on using more advanced
>features can take more liberties and therefore do more things.

There is nothing stopping you from writing a program that will only
run on a Mac IIfx.  But doing that will limit your market to the small
number of users who can afford a IIfx.  Similiarly, writing for the
NeXT limits you to writing for users who can afford a NeXT.  The NeXT
station defines the *highest* possible denominator in computing; there
is (unfortunately) no such thing as a low-end NeXT.

>Apple used to be that way too.  Even the old 128K Macs came loaded
>with more features than most of its competing IBM systems could shake
>a stick at.  And they have *slowly* raised the common denominator since.

And losing market share as a result because fewer and fewer users could
afford a Mac.  It was becoming to expensive even for the Fortune 500.

>a few dollars more here and there could have made a big difference in
>consistency and lessening consumer confusion (e.g. raising the price of
>the LC by $25 to pay for the added VRAM needed to support the 13" color
>monitor fully).

First of all, I don't think VRAM chips are quite that cheap, but I could
be wrong on that.  While we're at it, though, why not add another $25 worth
of hardware to support sound input in stereo?  And since we've done that,
another $50 for 16-bit CD-quality sound.  Changing the data bus to 32 bits
surely wouldn't cost more than $100.  Neither would adding an FPU.  Of course,
we want to use the 68030 to support virtual memory.  Adding a second slot
probably wouldn't be that expensive.  And since we've already raised the
price by several hundred dollars, a few hundred more would buy us 24-bit
video.... You can always add features to any product, but you've got to
stop somewhere.

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec2.081412.25053@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>For some reason, all the "Apple is in business to make money" defenders
>of capitalism show an incomplete understanding of its realities.
>
>Apple's margin on the new machines is adequate.  The machines can easily be
>assembled at automated plants (the IIsi in Fremont, the Classic and LC in
>Singapore).  All that is required to meet higher demand is to rent a factory,
>rent robots, connect them to computers running the same program as the existing
>plants, and start churning out more low-cost Macs, all of which will also bear
>an adequate profit margin.  If the Classic were to be brought out as a
>faster machine, it would still have a pretty high profit margin and Apple
>could have opened another plant (possibly with leased equipment to minimize
>risk) and make many more Macs, much more money, and really threaten DOS.

I'm sorry, but I don't think you have the slightest understanding of
what it takes to set up a factory.  It costs a *LOT* of money, and takes
a lot of time.  Deciding to make a new factory, and then actually making
it, is a big decision, even for a $5B company like Apple.  There aren't
computer factories sitting around waiting to be rented by companies
like Apple whenever they need a little more production capacity.

>The market is not static.  Manufacturing capacity is not static.  For an
>example of how markets can be expanded, look at the NeXT machine.  Did you
>see all this I'm-defecting-to-NeXT material on the comp.sys.mac groups
>when NeXT first came out with its way-overpriced, way-underpowered cube?
>Its new line, by being cheaper and faster, means that the company will
>survive.  Now THIS is capitalism at work.

What have you been smoking?  Next may have a technically nice machine,
but InfoWorld reports that they sell around 800 units a month.  They
have a factory with a capacity to procude 800 a day.  They are not making
money, and are not even close.  The only reason they are still in business
is that Jobs and Perot have deep pockets.  BTW, Apple sells 80,000
Macs a month.

David

In article <1990Dec2.085558.26111@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>The 030 is roughly 25% to 30% faster than an 020 running at the same clock
>speed.

I have to disagree with you.  When I upgraded from a MacII to a IIx
I only saw a 15% increase in speed, which was not really noticeable to
the user.

David

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.092217.26859@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>As for all those other "nasty choices" (color and whether to get an
>optical), the average user doesn't have to worry about them.  The
>NeXTDimension color is a production-quality 32-bit board, coprocessor,
>and monitor system that is priced accordingly.  No average user will
>have to bother with it.  So for them, the choice is color (get a
>NeXTStation color), or no color (get a basic NeXTStation).

FLAME ON:  Isn't that interesting?  When Next charges so much for a
machine that you couldn't afford one even if you sold your sister into
white slavery, its understandable because its "production quality".
When Apple does it, they're a bunch of greedy capitalist bastards.

David

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (12/05/90)

In article <47110@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>In article <1990Dec4.092217.26859@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>>As for all those other "nasty choices" (color and whether to get an
>>optical), the average user doesn't have to worry about them.  The
>>NeXTDimension color is a production-quality 32-bit board, coprocessor,
>>and monitor system that is priced accordingly.  No average user will
>>have to bother with it.  So for them, the choice is color (get a
>>NeXTStation color), or no color (get a basic NeXTStation).
>
>FLAME ON:  Isn't that interesting?  When Next charges so much for a
>machine that you couldn't afford one even if you sold your sister into
>white slavery, its understandable because its "production quality".
>When Apple does it, they're a bunch of greedy capitalist bastards.
>
>David

My, my.  A little touchy, aren't we?

As a matter of fact, to get a NeXTCube with the production quality
NeXTDimension board and monitor, you don't have to sell your sister
into slavery.

Though you might have to sell your IIfx.

At UCLA student prices, the NeXTCube ($5800) with the 32-bit
NeXTDimension color board and a 16" color monitor ($5100) will
cost you a total of $10,900.

Of course, if you're a person that needs that kind of quality, you better
get a IIfx and attempt to equip it similarly.  That will be $7250 (you want
a decent hard disk, right?) for the IIfx, plus $1350+$380 for the
8-24gc card (not nearly as fast as the 80 MIP i860 on the NeXTDimension
board, but it will have to do), plus, I don't know, what does a
third-party 16" color monitor with 1120x832 resolution cost these
days, at least another $2500?

That's $11,500 dollars so far, and we haven't gotten to the
NeXTDimension's JPEG video compression chip (lets you play back
full-motion video from your hard drive).  Not to mention Unix,
the fact that the NeXTCube itself is three times as fast as the
IIfx, has a better development environment, comes with Unix,
etc, etc.

Oops.  The 8-24gc doesn't let you use 24 bit color on monitors
larger than 13".  Back to the drawing board.

Get the picture?

So, once again, we see NeXT giving a strikingly reasonable price on
each member of their line.  The i860 RISC chip in the NeXTDimension *alone*
is a very expensive chip.  Some posters in comp.sys.next were thinking of
getting the NeXTDimension *just* to use that chip, since it is one of
the most powerful chips around and they hadn't found anybody selling a
card with one on any machine for less than $10,000.  NeXT is selling it
for $5100, and it comes with a $2500 monitor.

Your flame, as you see, is wrong.

About the greedy capitalists thing:  *Of course* Apple is run by a bunch
of greedy capitalists.   So is NeXT.  Their approaches, however,
are different.  Apple seems to believe in squeezing every last drop
of blood out of their customers (the high profit-margin approach).
NeXT, partially out of necessity, and partially out of Steve Jobs
philosophy, is trying to give the best value possible compared to
other machines and therefore making them available to as many
people as possible (the market-share approach).

Both are greedy.  Which leaves a better taste in your mouth, and
which gives customers the better value?

I've been a fanatic about Apple computers since 1979, and I know which
approach I like better -- and which one is going to get my money.

Now, if people would stop making these inflammatory and patently wrong
comments about the NeXT, this thread could stop.  Defending a company's
policies by making false attacks about anothers will get you nowhere,
except with the ignorant.  (This isn't a congressional race, you know.)

- Trent Lange

*      UCLA:  1990 NCAA Football Champions (yes, the other kind).      *

bengaard@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Martin Bengaard) (12/05/90)

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:

>>I'm sure too.  But now new users buying an LC have to deal with different
>>resolutions.  Why did Apple make the lower-resolution 12" monitor...? Why
>>didn't Apple lower the price of the 640x480 a little more, instead of
>>putting in time and resources (== $$) into making a new one?

>No matter how you look at it, the higher-resolution monitor costs more
>to manufacture.  Sure you can say maybe Apple should reduce its profit
>margins on the 13" monitor, but you can also say Apple should reduce its
>profit margins on the 12" and make that cheaper as well.  If you give
>both monitors equal markups, the 12" is always going to be cheaper.

There is a very good reason why Apple should have sold a cheap high-resolu-
tion monitor with the LC: When you type something in your word processor
which has to come out on an ordinary piece of paper, the word processor has
to scroll the image sideways because of the limited space on a 512-pixel
screen. This is extremely annoying! Since the quality of the display is a
much more vital part of a computer than e.g. the processor, it is a ridicu-
lous idea to save money on the display. So, cheap high resolution = more LC's
sold = higher profits for Apple.

Jens Bengaard
bengaard@diku.dk

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (12/05/90)

I certainly don't want to get into an ongoing thread about this, but...

In article <109822@convex.convex.com> ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:
>In article <1990Dec4.092217.26859@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>
>>This is the second time in as many days that this little bit of misinformation
>>has been spread, so it's time to correct it.
>>
>>- *All* NeXT machines come with floppies.
>
>Funny, I have a brochure for the original NeXT cube -- still being sold
>at discount prices -- right in front of me and the only removeable media
>it mentions is the optical disk.

Funny, I have a brochure on the original 128K Mac -- still being sold
used at discount prices -- and it only has 128K.

NeXT is not making or selling the original NeXT cube anymore.  They
were selling a few leftovers from their warehouses at good prices for
a while, but they only sold them in systems that included 68040 upgrades
and an external floppy.

How Businessland sells their few remaining old cubes is another story.
However, I'd hardly expect somebody to fault Apple for selling Macs with
non-standard 800K drives now simply because some stores are still getting
rid of their last Mac Pluses.

>>As for all those other "nasty choices" (color and whether to get an
>>optical), the average user doesn't have to worry about them.  The
>>NeXTDimension color is a production-quality 32-bit board, coprocessor,
>>and monitor system that is priced accordingly.
>
>So NeXT eliminates those nasty choices by making them so expensive no
>one can afford them, huh?  Well, at $20 million a pop, the average user
>doesn't have to worry about buying a Cray, either.  I'm sorry you feel
>Apple is offering the users too many choices.  Some people *like* having
>this flexibility.  Yesterday, I had to make the choice of whether to
>continue using the 8-bit internal video on my Mac IIsi or buy a 24-bit
>RasterOps graphics board for $399.

I'm sorry that I didn't explain this in detail originally, but I was
trying to avoid being tedious.  Since you took that as an opportunity
to attack, I'll explain it here as quickly as possible:  The NeXTDimension
Color is a production-quality 32-bit board with a 80 MFLOP i860 coprocessor,
a JPEG video compression chip (allowing playing of full-motion video
from a hard disk), and a 1120x832 pixel 16" color monitor.  The average
user doesn't need this.  However, if he *does* need it, he can get
it for his NeXTCube for $5100 (at educational prices).  The total price
for the NeXTCube and the NeXTDimension is less than the total price
for the relatively anemic IIfx, 8-24gc graphics coprocessor, and 16+"
color monitor, which anybody that needs the performance of the
NeXTDimension board will surely have to buy.

*However*, if the user is a mere mortal for which 16-bit, 1120x832 16"
color monitor will do, then he only has to choose a NeXTStation Color
machine for about $5200, and have a far more powerful machine and graphics
than, for instance, a Mac IIci for nearly the same price with a hard disk and
a 13" color monitor.

>>The fact of the matter is that NeXT has stuck pretty well to its
>>guns on the issue of keeping the lowest common denominator at
>>a high level.  All pieces of software written for the NeXT can
>>count on having a floating-point processor, at least 8 megs of
>>RAM, a DSP chip, unix, protected virtual memory, display postscript,
>>ethernet, and a screen with at least 1120x832 resolution.
>>So can NeXT users.  Software that can count on using more advanced
>>features can take more liberties and therefore do more things.
>
>There is nothing stopping you from writing a program that will only
>run on a Mac IIfx.  But doing that will limit your market to the small
>number of users who can afford a IIfx.  Similiarly, writing for the
>NeXT limits you to writing for users who can afford a NeXT.  The NeXT
>station defines the *highest* possible denominator in computing; there
>is (unfortunately) no such thing as a low-end NeXT.

I assume you've seen the prices lately;  the lowest cost NeXTStation
costs about $3200.  You're right, the Classic costs less than that.
However, anybody that can afford a IIsi can afford a NeXTStation.
And, like you said, with that he gets the highest possible common
denominator in computing.

Notice the trend here:  two years ago, the original NeXT cube cost
over $7000.  Now it is less than half that.  And yet the NeXT's common
denominator has stayed the same (and risen in the current machines
with the 68040).

Five years from now, when the newest NeXT machine costs $1500, and is
within the reach of most users, their common denominator will *still*
have the same high level that there is today, because NeXT never
went and decided to sell 030 machines without a FPU or 68020 and
68000 machines that can't handle virtual memory but which the software
houses must cater to by neutering their programs.

NeXT's high common denominator is why Lotus is able to come out with a
highly-innovative program like Improv that requires high processor
performance:  they know that all the NeXT machines can handle it.

But pity the poor sap who goes out and spends $3000 on a Mac LC system,
and later decides that he wants to run Unix or Mathematica (decently)
or Improv-for-the-fx.  Yes, he *might* be able to get an upgrade
from Apple at their normal turnip-squeezing prices, but he better not
get a third-party upgrade, because Apple won't support it.

>>a few dollars more here and there could have made a big difference in
>>consistency and lessening consumer confusion (e.g. raising the price of
>>the LC by $25 to pay for the added VRAM needed to support the 13" color
>>monitor fully).
>
>First of all, I don't think VRAM chips are quite that cheap, but I could
>be wrong on that.  While we're at it, though, why not add another $25 worth
>of hardware to support sound input in stereo?  And since we've done that,
>another $50 for 16-bit CD-quality sound.  Changing the data bus to 32 bits
>surely wouldn't cost more than $100.  Neither would adding an FPU.  Of course,
>we want to use the 68030 to support virtual memory.  Adding a second slot
>probably wouldn't be that expensive.  And since we've already raised the
>price by several hundred dollars, a few hundred more would buy us 24-bit
>video.... You can always add features to any product, but you've got to
>stop somewhere.

You're right, but there are some things that are so commonly used
that it *is* worth it to include.  For instance, people tend to use a
SCSI interface, so even Apple makes one standard.  People tend to need
the equivalent of an 4-8 display card, so Apple builds one in to the IIsi
and the IIci.  They do that because simplicity of building it in to the
machine and the cost benefits of mass production make it much less costly
than they would be as an upgrade or a card.

This would seem to be the case with the added VRAM needed to support
8-bit color or grayscale on the 12" b/w or 13" color monitors.  *Lots*
of people use those monitors (even more so if the 12" color monitor is
as bad as it sounds).  Apple has *always* provided 8-bit color for their
color monitors.  And yet everybody buying an LC is going to go home, plug
in their 13" monitors, and wonder why they "can't get very many colors".
(Oh sorry, they can all depend on their competent salesmen to tell them
everything.  Right.).  This one is almost petty on Apple's part.

I won't argue the merits of all of the other little corners and feature
cuts that Apple has made.  Other somewhat disillusioned people here have
done so.  All I know is that NeXT manages to sell a machine for the price
of a IIsi that doesn't include any of its design compromises and has even
more hardware and software features than the twice-as-expensive IIfx.

So basically, yes, I think that Apple should spend the $100 or so extra
dollars necessary to have enough RAM to be useable, to have as many
machines as possible be able to run virtual memory, and in general
have a consistent and solid common denominator that both software
developers and customers can count on.  Or at least limit it to two tiers
(68000 and II/SE 30/LC class machines) rather than the four+ there are
now.  Even if it means having to have only a 45% profit margin rather than
a 50% profit margin.  The name of the game is long-term market share, and
Apple is barely starting to realize this.  The hodge-podge of corner-cutting
found on the new machines is what you get when they try to do it without
getting their feet wet, rather than trying to give more value for the
money.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/06/90)

In article <47110@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:

   FLAME ON:  Isn't that interesting?  When Next charges so much for a
   machine that you couldn't afford one even if you sold your sister into
   white slavery, its understandable because its "production quality".
   When Apple does it, they're a bunch of greedy capitalist bastards.

   David

Please read Bruce Webster's article in the January 1991 issue of
MacWorld for a price comparison of Macs and NeXTs.  Your facts seem to
be wrong.  Also, would you care to post the prices Apple was charging
at this time last year for the Macs?  NeXT offers an incredible
machine at a good price.

-Mike

daveo@apple.com (David M. O'Rourke) (12/06/90)

> Not to mention Unix,
> the fact that the NeXTCube itself is three times as fast as the
> IIfx, has a better development environment, comes with Unix,
> etc, etc.

What benchmark are you using for that comparsion??  If you're using the
performance of Mathmatica then that's not adequite since Mathmatica has an
admitted bug on the Macintosh version that slow it down _SIGNIFICANTLY_.

As for the matter of coming with Unix, I think that's a debatible
advantage for the average user, etc, etc.  The funny thing about NeXT
coming with Unix is that the real advantage is that you can
run software that doesn't take advantage of _ANY_ of NeXT's features.  So
you got this great windowing box and you run text based software on it,
yeah that's a real advantageI

just my $0.02 worth

daveo@apple.com

I do not speak for Apple Computer, Inc. in any official account.
ctiveness of sheeting out by causing the top of the
sail to luff earlier and more completely, which lowers the center of
effort.

Lift due to oversheeting increases untill stall is reached, and then
it quickly tumbles off.  Twist in the sail smooths out the leverage
curve because the top stalls last --- causing the center of effort to
rise even as the lift falls off.

/pr

jmm@lsuc.on.ca (John Macdonald) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec2.013950.3145@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
>Just some more fuel for the flames...
>
>The Stanford Bookstore has notices up announcing a 2-month wait for
>delivery of Classics (complete with Apple's customer service number
>for anyone who wants to complain).
>
>So it seems that Apple has vastly _underestimated_ the demand for a
>low-end machine (does this support the argument that Apple has good
>business sense? I don't know).

I don't think your conclusion follows.  With a much heralded
popular addition to the product line, it is not surprising to
have a very high demand for the first few months (I'm sure a
*lot* of people postponed any purchase that they would have
made in the preceding 6 months or more.  Plus, a lot of people
who have refused to buy a Mac earlier because it was out of
their price range.  All of these order in the first few weeks
after the announcement.)  It would be rather foolish of Apple
to build an extra factory so that they could keep up with demand
in the first month of each popular new product (and then not
need it for the next year and a half since their previously
existing factories could handle the demand after the first
month's flood had been covered).

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/06/90)

>>My NeXT computer is going to be a Mac ...
>
>So you will get to choose between optical disks and hard disks, floppies
>(in a nonstandard 2.8 M format) or no floppies, two types of color
>hardware or monochrome

Wow, a new record for erroneous remarks about a NeXT in 100 words or less.
First, the optical disk is no longer standard.  Second, the floppy drives
come with all the standard NeXT configurations.  Third, the 2.88 MB
floppy is compatible with both 720K and 1.44 MB MS-DOS formats.  Can you
say the same for Mac floppies?  You are correct though that NeXT users
have a choice between color and monochrome.  But what machine doesn't?

`

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (12/07/90)

From article <1142@duteca.UUCP>, by reinoud@duteca (Reinoud Lamberts):
> The 68020 has a feature called 'dynamic bus sizing', allowing it to
> work with 32, 16 or 8 bit busses at any time, something a 68030 can't
> do.

According to the 68030 User's Manual (MC68030UM/AD REV 1), in section
7.2.1 _Dynamic Bus Sizing_, "The MC68030 dynamically interprets the
port size of the addressed device during each bus cycle."

> A narrower memory bus greatly reduces system cost: fewer memory
> chips necessary, fewer bus buffers, cheaper printed circuit board
> (smaller, fewer traces, maybe fewer layers).

We'll get back to this.

> What do you mean by 'incompatible architecture'? The 68020 instruction
> set is actually a SUPERSET of the 68030!

Back to the 68030 User's Manual, the '020 has two instructions (CALLM
and RTM) not in the '030, and the '030 has four MMU instructions (PFLUSH,
PLOAD, PMOVE, and PTEST) not in the '020. The only other differences
listed are: 128 byte data cache, on-chip MMU, and 6 new control registers.

by boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin):
> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>>The CPU spends a large percentage of time executing code out of ROM,
>>so it has a wider path to the ROM.  It has a 16 bit path to RAM to
>>save a little money.  Believe it or not, you run out of room for
>>traces on a PC board, and either you have to make a bigger board
>>(which costs more for the board material and the bigger case to hold
>>it) or you cut out some traces.
>
> Are you saying the extra inch of board space and the extra inch of case
> required to accomodate the extra traces would significantly add to the cost
> of making the LC?

The extra 16 bits are more than an extra inch of board space. You have
twice as many memory chips, twice as many memory buffers, and the control
logic for all of that. It is not a trivial thing.

> Regarding your assertion that the average user doesn't do anything that
> uses an FPU: besides spreadsheets, there are Adobe Type Manager and TrueType
> (I don't know for a fact that TrueType makes use of the FPU, but if it
> doesn't, it must be really slow).  Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic
> (ATM) splines to display text on the screen is a very floating-point-
> math-intensive process.

Does the average user really do these things? If they did, don't you think
computer companies would sell more models with FPUs included?

--

lrm3@ellis.uchicago.edu (Lawrence Reed Miller) (12/07/90)

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) writes:

>> What do you mean by 'incompatible architecture'? The 68020 instruction
>> set is actually a SUPERSET of the 68030!
>>

>Back to the 68030 User's Manual, the '020 has two instructions (CALLM
>and RTM) not in the '030, and the '030 has four MMU instructions (PFLUSH,
>PLOAD, PMOVE, and PTEST) not in the '020. The only other differences
>listed are: 128 byte data cache, on-chip MMU, and 6 new control registers.

While it is true that the 68020 chip itself does not have these memory
management instructions, they can be added if a 68851 MMU is added to the
68020 system.  Adding a 68851 will give you a superset of the 68030 MMU
instructions (for instance, PBcc, which is not supported by the '030).  So if
you need these intructions (for virtual memory support) you _can_ get them
on a 68020 system.  Of course, programs written (properly) for the macintosh
would never call any of these instructions, anyway, as they are privileged
and therefore forbidden (by Apple) to be used by applications, etc.  So the
lack of these instructions shouldn't ever cause any problems on a non 68851
'020 system.  "Thou Shalt not Assume that Thy Macintosh is in Supervisor Mode"

Also, the caches on the 68030 (both data and instruction)
are 256 byte, not 128 byte.  Not that this will ever affect code executing
on the processor, anyway...

Sources: Documents BR508/D Rev 2 (68030) and BR243/D Rev 3 (68020) (Motorola)

Just picking nits :^)  I generally agree with what you are saying...

Lawrence Miller

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) (12/07/90)

I don't feel so bad about continuing this thread given the three hundred
postings on the "Energizer Bunny" here lately.  :-)

In article <11447@goofy.Apple.COM> daveo@apple.com (David M. O'Rourke) writes:
>> Not to mention Unix,
>> the fact that the NeXTCube itself is three times as fast as the
>> IIfx, has a better development environment, comes with Unix,
>> etc, etc.
>
>What benchmark are you using for that comparsion??  If you're using the
>performance of Mathmatica then that's not adequite since Mathmatica has an
>admitted bug on the Macintosh version that slow it down _SIGNIFICANTLY_.

I was using that fact that it has a 25 MHz 68040, rather than the IIfx's
40 MHz 68030.  All published reports are that the 68040 is approximately
3x faster than the 030 at the same clock speed, and 5-10x faster on
floating point.  A quick "average" of those (and considering the 40 MHz
clockspeed of the IIfx's 030) makes the NeXTCube (and NeXTStation)'s
raw processing power about three times the IIfx's.  It's also nice that
the NeXTs have DMA that they actually *use*.

Now, if you want to bring real-world performance into this, then that's
different.  :-)  Because the NeXT uses display postscript and an
object-oriented windowing environment, I imagine that its actual
graphics speed isn't going to be significantly faster than the IIfx's.

However, on computationally-intensive programs like Mathematica, spreedsheets,
and any programming the user might do, the NeXT can't help but be
significantly faster than the IIfx.  Of course, for dinky little things
like word-processing, the speed of both will be perfectly adequate.

And, since you mentioned Mathematica, the 68040 NeXT has been benchmarked
to run it 50% faster than a Sparcstation 1+.  So much for RISC
architectures.  :-)

>As for the matter of coming with Unix, I think that's a debatible
>advantage for the average user, etc, etc.  The funny thing about NeXT
>coming with Unix is that the real advantage is that you can
>run software that doesn't take advantage of _ANY_ of NeXT's features.  So
>you got this great windowing box and you run text based software on it,
>yeah that's a real advantage.

As has been previously pointed out, the main advantage of coming with
Unix is that the user automatically gets the advantages of its virtual
memory, protected memory spaces, and threads, even while using the NeXT's
normal "insanely great" applications.

Of course, it is nice for semi-technical users to have Unix around free, too.

>just my $0.02 worth
>
>daveo@apple.com

Mine too.  Hopefully, for everybody, Apple will feel enough pressure
from the extremely competively-priced NeXTStations and Sparcstations, and
give their high-end machines a semi-reasonable pricing structure.

- Trent Lange

*      UCLA:  1990 NCAA Football Champions (yes, the other kind).      *

ACPS1072@RYERSON <ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> (12/08/90)

Apple Greedy??  You bet they are!!!  Sheesh but then again they've been
bleeding us users for money ever since the MACs started coming out.
For example when programming an application...
Has anyone tried to get information on PICT, RIFF, TIFF or any other
MAC information (32-bit quickdraw).  sheesh...  this costs gobs of money
especially for us freelance programmers that have to buy everything ourselves.
The purchasing of the machine is nothing compared to software and info.

The software probably costs so much because of how much the developer has to
pay to create the software.

(ie.  ColorStudio by letraset $2000.00
      Animation (something or other) by Linker systems $9000.00
)
Sheesh at this rate why not just buy an amiga and develop for those
Commodore machines. ($50.00 to become a developer, information is
practically free)
prices in Canadian dollars

Derek<<<<<  (a struggling computer programmer)
ACPS1072@Ryerson
Toronto, ON

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (12/08/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 6-Dec-90 Re: The New Macs:
> Greedy Co.. Mr. New Dad@encore.com (2601)

> > Regarding your assertion that the average user doesn't do anything that
> > uses an FPU: besides spreadsheets, there are Adobe Type Manager and TrueType
> > (I don't know for a fact that TrueType makes use of the FPU, but if it
> > doesn't, it must be really slow).  Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic
> > (ATM) splines to display text on the screen is a very floating-point-
> > math-intensive process.

> Does the average user really do these things? If they did, don't you think
> computer companies would sell more models with FPUs included?

Will average users be able to avoid doing these things when System 7
comes out?  (Of course, I suppose there is some question as to whether
that will ever happen, but I think that the original poster had a
significant point.)

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/08/90)

lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:

>And, since you mentioned Mathematica, the 68040 NeXT has been benchmarked
>to run it 50% faster than a Sparcstation 1+.  So much for RISC
>architectures.  :-)

  That should probably be "so much for Sparc architectures".  Check
out the other RISC chips (MIPS, IBM POWER, Motorola) which leave the
Sparc in the dust.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"I didn't get where I am today without knowing a good deal when I see one,
 Reggie."  "Yes, C.J."

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (12/08/90)

In article <109822@convex.convex.com>, ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) writes:

> Funny, I have a brochure for the original NeXT cube -- still being sold
> at discount prices -- right in front of me and the only removeable media
> it mentions is the optical disk.

So you enjoy collecting outdated brochures?  What does that prove?
Since September, every NeXT system (except a server) comes with a
floppy drive.

> So NeXT eliminates those nasty choices by making them so expensive no
> one can afford them, huh?  Well, at $20 million a pop, the average user
> doesn't have to worry about buying a Cray, either.  I'm sorry you feel
> Apple is offering the users too many choices.  Some people *like* having
> this flexibility.  Yesterday, I had to make the choice of whether to
> continue using the 8-bit internal video on my Mac IIsi or buy a 24-bit
> RasterOps graphics board for $399.

Too many choices?  That's one way of looking at it.  Or perhaps Apple
just has a lack of direction.

Speaking of prices for color products, take a look at the list price
of a 16 MB/105 MB NeXTstation and a 12 MB/105 MB NeXTstation Color.
The NeXTstation Color is cheaper by $625...  There are a number of
reasons for that (and you still have to add a monitor), but it's
still rather strange.  Perhaps NeXT isn't charging enough?  $-)

>There is nothing stopping you from writing a program that will only
>run on a Mac IIfx.  But doing that will limit your market to the small
>number of users who can afford a IIfx.  Similiarly, writing for the
>NeXT limits you to writing for users who can afford a NeXT.  The NeXT
>station defines the *highest* possible denominator in computing; there
>is (unfortunately) no such thing as a low-end NeXT.

The NeXTstation is a low-end NeXT.  The nice thing about NeXT is that
the company has shown a propensity to drop prices as soon as they are able;
therefore, when NeXT announces its '91/92 products, I'd expect the price
on the NeXTstation to drop accordingly.

Besides, NeXT's avowed goal IS to raise the lowest common denominator
of computing.  Apple did it with the Macintosh by including a mouse,
Quickdraw, serial ports, high-resolution screen, acceptable sound, a
3.5" floppy drive, and so on.  It was successful, due in part to the
fact that developers could assume that every Macintosh would follow
certain conventions.  Now, NeXT is doing the same thing...
Unfortunately, Apple can't, without abandoning their existing
customers.

To put things into perspective, software developers can assume that
each NeXT is the equivalent of a Macintosh IIfx with a 17" 4-bit
greyscale monitor (1120 x 832) running A/UX 2.0 (virtual memory,
protected address space, interprocess communication), with a DSP card,
a SCSI-II card (since the IIfx doesn't have a SCSI-II port) $-), a
2.88 MB floppy drive, 10 Mb/sec Ethernet port, a microphone port, line out
jacks, and with 8 MB of RAM.  Oh yes, and running System 8.0.  $-)

Again, from the point of view of a software developer, wouldn't you
rather write software for this than a Mac Classic?  Not to mention the
fact that you could probably do it in half the time.  Naturally, there
aren't as many NeXTs out there as there are Mac Classics, but neither
is the software field as competitive - at least in the amount of
companies working on similar software.

Assuming a moderately good level of software development for each
platform, which one would you rather have three years from now?  We've
already seen PowerStep, Improv, Interface Builder, NeXT's Workspace
Manager -- these products are years ahead of their closest
counterparts on other platforms.

-Declan
 (declan@portia.stanford.edu)

david@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) (12/09/90)

In article <Dec.8.03.23.37.1990.25402@remus.rutgers.edu> declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) writes:
>Assuming a moderately good level of software development for each
>platform, which one would you rather have three years from now?  We've
>already seen PowerStep, Improv, Interface Builder, NeXT's Workspace
>Manager -- these products are years ahead of their closest
>counterparts on other platforms.

Like you said, "3 years from now"..

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec2.084149.25494@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:

>Regarding your assertion that the average user doesn't do anything that
>uses an FPU: besides spreadsheets, there are Adobe Type Manager and TrueType
>(I don't know for a fact that TrueType makes use of the FPU, but if it doesn't,
>it must be really slow).  Using quadratic (TrueType) or cubic (ATM) splines to
>display text on the screen is a very floating-point-math-intensive process.

Quadratic and cubic splines are generally computed on an iterative basis,
using first (and second) differences -- all easily done with fixed point
(i.e. integer) arithmetic.  The '020 and '030 will have a slight advantage
because of their ability to do 64 bit math.  The algorithms are extensions
of Breshenham's circle algorithms, and can be found in The SIGGRAPH proceedings
for the July 1985 conference in an article by Vaughn Pratt (pp 151-159).

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (12/09/90)

In article <6337@mace.cc.purdue.edu> david@mace.cc.purdue.edu (David Bainbridge) writes:

   In article <Dec.8.03.23.37.1990.25402@remus.rutgers.edu> declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) writes:
   >Assuming a moderately good level of software development for each
   >platform, which one would you rather have three years from now?  We've
   >already seen PowerStep, Improv, Interface Builder, NeXT's Workspace
   >Manager -- these products are years ahead of their closest
   >counterparts on other platforms.

   Like you said, "3 years from now"..

Good come back.  But if the software already exists on the NeXT that
you need, why not buy it now?  There are great spreadsheets and DBM's
available now, and Word Perfect 5.0 has been ported.  Quark XPress 3.0
and Adobe Illustrator should appear in the spring.  There is some
powerful software being developed for the NeXT.  Obviously, if the
software doesn't exist to meet your needs than the NeXT is a bad
choice.  However, it would be a good idea to watch the NeXT market
develop.  You might end-up buying a Mac IIsi thinking that the
software doesn't exist for the NeXT when it actually does, and miss
out on an opportunity to buy a machine that is definitely more
powerful than, well, anything that Apple has on the market at this
time.

I hope that Apple does rise to the occasion, but when you spend $4000
or $5000 on a computer, it might be wise to look at the NeXT.

-Mike

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

>Next may have a technically nice machine, but InfoWorld reports that
>they sell around 800 units a month.

Numbers for the old NeXT computers.  20,000 of the new machines have been
ordered in 3-4 months.

>BTW, Apple sells 80,000 Macs a month.

As it should, since it is a PC after all.  A workstation, though, does not
sell in PC numbers.  Sun, the workstation bestseller, sells less than 10,000
machines each month.  If NeXT were to sell 80,000 machines a month, it would
have nearly 100% of its intended market.

yoo@well.sf.ca.us (Young-Kyu Yoo) (12/09/90)

>There is nothing stopping you from writing a program that will run only
>on the Mac IIfx.  But doing that will limit your market to the small
>number of users who can afford a IIfx.  Similarly, writing for the NeXT
>limits you to writing for users who can afford to buy a NeXT.

True, very few people can afford a IIfx (at upwards of $10K).  But quite
a few computer buyers can afford a $3000-$3500 NeXT (educational pricing).

On another point, you imply that the PC software market is the only one
that is profitable.  This just isn't so.  People make money by writing
software for Crays, mainframes, minicomputer, workstations, and high-end
PCs.  I'm a NeXT software developer and as much as I abhor greed, I'm
writing software that will make money.

?vi

das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec7.085447.19397@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>I was using that fact that it has a 25 MHz 68040, rather than the IIfx's
>40 MHz 68030.  All published reports are that the 68040 is approximately
>3x faster than the 030 at the same clock speed, and 5-10x faster on
>floating point.  A quick "average" of those (and considering the 40 MHz
>clockspeed of the IIfx's 030) makes the NeXTCube (and NeXTStation)'s
>raw processing power about three times the IIfx's.  It's also nice that
>the NeXTs have DMA that they actually *use*.
A/UX uses the DMA.  Its only the Mac OS which doesn't use the DMA.

>And, since you mentioned Mathematica, the 68040 NeXT has been benchmarked
>to run it 50% faster than a Sparcstation 1+.  So much for RISC
>architectures.  :-)
Performance on RISC machines (and CISC machines, for that matter) often
has much more to do with the quality of the compiler than the speed of
the processor.  Unless you knew that the compiler used on each machine
produced code of comparable quality, I don't you think have much of a
benchmark.

David
"There are lies, damn lies, and benchmarks."  Motorola PR sheet

In article <90341.164740ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
>Apple Greedy??  You bet they are!!!  Sheesh but then again they've been
>bleeding us users for money ever since the MACs started coming out.
>For example when programming an application...
>Has anyone tried to get information on PICT, RIFF, TIFF or any other
>MAC information (32-bit quickdraw).  sheesh...  this costs gobs of money
>especially for us freelance programmers that have to buy everything ourselves.
>The purchasing of the machine is nothing compared to software and info.

PICT Format:  Inside Mac Volume 5, about $30 retail, and if you are programming
for Mac IIs, you need it anyway.

RIFF is proprietary (not Apple), I think-- and TIFF belongs to Aldus, but the
format is in many archive sites across the nets.

If you mean the offscreen graphics routines in 32-bit quickdraw, those are
in develop magazine--  don't recall how much it is per year, though.

Most 'other mac information' is in Inside Mac, or in the Tech Notes.  The
tech notes are free off the net or many BBSs.

>The software probably costs so much because of how much the developer has to
>pay to create the software.

Got any hard figures on that?
I'm sure someone here with a current APDALOG could supply the prices for
a full set of tech notes, and a years subscription to develop.

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (12/10/90)

russotto@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>In article <90341.164740ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA> ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
>>Apple Greedy??  You bet they are!!!  Sheesh but then again they've been
>>bleeding us users for money ever since the MACs started coming out.

>If you mean the offscreen graphics routines in 32-bit quickdraw, those are
>in develop magazine--  don't recall how much it is per year, though.

  Develop = $30 per year I believe...

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - a National landslide of incompetence

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (12/10/90)

In article <90341.164740ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA>, ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
> Apple Greedy??  You bet they are!!!  Sheesh but then again they've been
> bleeding us users for money ever since the MACs started coming out.
>
> The software probably costs so much because of how much the developer has to
> pay to create the software.

While that may be a bit of an overstatement, you're on the right
track.  Apple Partner fees are $600/year and Apple Associate fees are
$350/year.  By comparison, NeXT Developer fees are $0/year.

-Declan McCullagh / Independent NeXT Developer

In article <47215@apple.Apple.COM>, das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
> Performance on RISC machines (and CISC machines, for that matter) often
> has much more to do with the quality of the compiler than the speed of
> the processor.  Unless you knew that the compiler used on each machine
> produced code of comparable quality, I don't you think have much of a
> benchmark.

While that usually may be true, when we're talking about the same
application on different platforms, it's a different story (plus,
Mathematica has its own interpreter for equations and programs, and
compiler optimizations may not account for much performance
differences except in I/O and user interface code.  And, of course, in
the efficiency of the interpreter. $-) )

Talking about theoretical differences in compiler optimization is
fine, but in the case of Mathematica, we have a real-life example of
an application which is considerably faster on the NeXTstation than
the SS1+.  I'd like to see some Mathematica benchmarks on the IIfx (if
the bugs in the Mac version were ever fixed).

-Declan McCullagh / Independent NeXT Developer

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/10/90)

------
In article <Dec.9.17.22.54.1990.13456@remus.rutgers.edu>, declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) writes...

>In article <90341.164740ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA>, ACPS1072@Ryerson.CA (ACPS1072@RYERSON) writes:
>> Apple Greedy??  You bet they are!!!  Sheesh but then again they've been
>> bleeding us users for money ever since the MACs started coming out.
>>
>> The software probably costs so much because of how much the developer has to
>> pay to create the software.
>
>While that may be a bit of an overstatement, you're on the right
>track.  Apple Partner fees are $600/year and Apple Associate fees are
>$350/year.  By comparison, NeXT Developer fees are $0/year.

Your point being?  How many real commercial developers does Apple have to
support compared to the number Next has to support?  And how many
non-commercial developers does Apple need to support compared to Next?  If the
ratio were as small as 20 to 1 I would be suprised.  The point being: Apple
cannot afford to support all developers directly thru DTS; those who are in the
"upper echelon" can almost certainly afford the developers fees.

Those who aren't in the upper echelon can avail themselves of fairly
inexpensive alternatives such as apple.com (free technotes, stacks, etc),
d e v e l o p  magazine (with free CD ROM disk inside containing HUGE amounts
of development materials/info), etc.  And APDA, while charging a lot, is not
all THAT expensive.

I would bet that if Next ever reaches Apple's size -- an event which would
suprise me greatly -- they too will charge to be a developer.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (12/17/90)

These days MIPS is not used to refer to Millions of Instructions Per
Second. Instead 1 MIPS means the computing power of a VAX 11/780
measured using a certain kind of bencmark test. So a machine producing
say 20 MIPS is actually computing 20 times faster than the VAX 11/780
regardless of the type of the cpu (ie. risc vs. cisc). This is quite
handy to eliminate benchmarking fast do-nothing instructions (nop). Also
calculations like in the previous article do not hold in this contents.

I don't have any actual figures at hand about the spoken i860, but check
comp.sys.benchmarks for more detail information.
--

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec5.072931.4079@cs.ucla.edu> lange@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Trent Lange) writes:
>In article <47110@apple.Apple.COM> das@Apple.COM (David Shayer) writes:
>>FLAME ON:  Isn't that interesting?  When Next charges so much for a
>>machine that you couldn't afford one even if you sold your sister into
>>white slavery, its understandable because its "production quality".
>>When Apple does it, they're a bunch of greedy capitalist bastards.
>>
>>David
>
>My, my.  A little touchy, aren't we?

[ stuff deleted ]

>Of course, if you're a person that needs that kind of quality, you better
>get a IIfx and attempt to equip it similarly.  That will be $7250 (you want
>a decent hard disk, right?) for the IIfx, plus $1350+$380 for the
>8-24gc card (not nearly as fast as the 80 MIP i860 on the NeXTDimension
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This figure is garbage.  The i860 can manage 66 MFLOP PEAK in a
special type of tight loop.  Usually it averages 10-12 MFLOP.  Integer
performance is around 1 instruction/cycle, ie 33 Mhz = 33 MIPS. Note:
this is a figure for RISC MIPS which does not compare with CISC MIPS,
also this figure is higher than real life performance depending on
cache hits etc.

>Now, if people would stop making these inflammatory and patently wrong
>comments about the NeXT, this thread could stop.  Defending a company's

Good point, shame you didn't take your own advice. NeXT people seem
to infect Mac and Amiga groups at the moment...

Disclaimer : I could be wrong if the NeXTDimension happens to have
an i860 at around 100Mhz, but I really doubt this. (And I doubt
any RAM could keep up with this anyway)

--
Matt Crowd       Amiga Man
Email Address    glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au

wcarroll@encore.com (Mr. New Dad) (12/20/90)

From article <N67786.90Dec17092227@lehtori.tut.fi>, by n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero):

> These days MIPS is not used to refer to Millions of Instructions Per
> Second. Instead 1 MIPS means the computing power of a VAX 11/780
> measured using a certain kind of bencmark test.

If you're interested, see IEEE Computer December 1990 (Vol 23 No 12)
"An Overview of Common Benchmarks" by Reinhold P. Weicker for
a discussion of benchmarks and the meaning of MIPS. He states that
the most common meaning is Meaningless Indication of Processor Speed.
Another is Meaningless Information Provided by Salesman.

If you really think advertised mips, even vax mips, translates into any
real-world performance metric, I feel sorry for you.