[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to build Mac hardware cards?

bloks@ebp.eb.ele.tue.nl (rudi_bloks) (12/18/90)

Hi,

Does anybody know where i can get information on how to construct
hardware modules that would fit in one of the slots on any MacII**.

I am considering building some hardware extensions myself, but
i can't find any info on how to do it. All i could find out was
that cards must contain some sort of boot rom, which holds a card
identification and a piece of boot code for the processor to
execute at system reset.

Could somebody help me out, or give me some refs to articles,
technotes (if any) or books about the subject?

Thanks in advance,
Rudi Bloks

Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
email: bloks @ eb.ele.tue.nl
       elebrb @ urc.tue.nl

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (12/18/90)

   I am considering building some hardware extensions myself, but
   i can't find any info on how to do it. All i could find out was
   that cards must contain some sort of boot rom, which holds a card
   identification and a piece of boot code for the processor to
   execute at system reset.

   Could somebody help me out, or give me some refs to articles,
   technotes (if any) or books about the subject?

The extension cards in MacII serisare called NuBus-cards. Addison Wesley
has published an Apple manual "Making cards and drivers for SE and
MacII", that discusses these topics. I'm not guite sure wether there is
yet a book for the newer modells also (probably is).

Also there are card manufacturers that make NuBus prototyping cards,
that have most of the essential NuBus-card functionality built in (like
the boot rom and drivers), and spare space to build your own circuits
on. Unfortunately I don't have any addersses of such companies (maybe
someone on the net does). Theese may get you started.

   Thanks in advance,
   Rudi Bloks

--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@cc.tut.fi                 Tampere, Finland, Europe

Vivino@NIHDCRT (Mark Vivino) (12/20/90)

>   Could somebody help me out, or give me some refs to articles,
>  technotes (if any) or books about the subject?

>Also there are card manufacturers that make NuBus prototyping cards,
>that have most of the essential NuBus-card functionality built in (like
>the boot rom and drivers), and spare space to build your own circuits
>on. Unfortunately I don't have any addersses of such companies (maybe
>someone on the net does). Theese may get you started.

Try:
Creative Solutions, 4701 Randolph Rd, Suite12, Rockville, MD 20852
301-984-0262
or:
Adex Corp, 105 Allbright Way, Los Gatos, CA 95030
408-866-2077

If I were going to work on a Mac board right now I'd try and make sure
that you use (or the prototyping board uses) the Texas Inst. NuBus
interface chipset. Just about all future boards will probably use them.
Using them, you won't get tangled up in sombody elses PAL that might just
about be impossible to understand.

Mark Vivino
Bitnet: VIVINO@NIHDCRT
Internet: mvivino@helix.nih.gov

mortenpp@ulrik.uio.no (Morten Paul Pedersen) (12/20/90)

>>   I am considering building some hardware extensions myself, but
>>   i can't find any info on how to do it. All i could find out was
>>   that cards must contain some sort of boot rom, which holds a card
>>   identification and a piece of boot code for the processor to
>>   execute at system reset.

>>   Could somebody help me out, or give me some refs to articles,
>>   technotes (if any) or books about the subject?

>The extension cards in MacII serisare called NuBus-cards. Addison Wesley
>has published an Apple manual "Making cards and drivers for SE and
>MacII", that discusses these topics. I'm not guite sure wether there is
>yet a book for the newer modells also (probably is).

There is a new book called :
"Designing Cards and Drivers for the Macintosh Family",
Addison Wesley, 1990.

I would also recommend :

- "SN74ACT2440, NuBus Interface Controller", Datasheet from TI.

- "SN74BCT2420, NuBus Address/Data Tranceiver and Registers.", from TI.

- The Hypercard-stack "BoardID Registration Stack", which you can obtain
  from apple.com (130.43.2.2)

- "Debugging Declaration ROMs", Mark Baumwell, Develop Mag. Jan. 1990.

You will also need the MPW CRC-tool and perhaps a ROM emulator.
I have developed an interface card for NuBus using these references
(and some helpful advices from people at Usenet - thank you all ! ).

Morten Paul Pedersen, Dept. of Biology, Univ. of Oslo, Norway.

leburg@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Brian Pierson) (12/20/90)

In article <755@nih-csl.nih.gov> Vivino@NIHDCRT (Mark Vivino) writes:
>>   Could somebody help me out, or give me some refs to articles,
>>  technotes (if any) or books about the subject?

Addison-Wesley publishes a book about card design for the NuBus and SE
expansion slot. In the book there is the address for protoboard manufacturers.
The book is part of the hardware and software libaries from Apple.
The line also includes the inside macs 1-5 and a hardware reference for the
mac line through the Mac II. I have both the design and the reference at home.
If you would like the details e-mail me or if the response is great enough
I'll post it.

Brian Pierson