[comp.sys.mac.misc] Wanted: Energiser Bunny!

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/04/90)

In article <275B0108.14954@orion.oac.uci.edu> ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex Jauch) writes:
|I heard a rumor today about a program that causes the Energiser bunny to
|walk across your screen (and other networked macs) at random intervals.
|I MUST HAVE THIS TOY!  Please send any info via e-mail.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me too!

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

drz@po.cwru.edu (David Zinkin) (12/04/90)

Jauch) writes:
>|I heard a rumor today about a program that causes the Energiser bunny to
>|walk across your screen (and other networked macs) at random intervals.
>|I MUST HAVE THIS TOY!  Please send any info via e-mail.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Me too!
>

>--
>Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)
>
>      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
>      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

LIKEWISE, ME TOO!!!!

 -- Dave Zinkin (INTERNET: drz@po.cwru.edu)

smisra@eos.ncsu.edu (12/05/90)

(L. Maurice Riggins) writes:
> In article <275B0108.14954@orion.oac.uci.edu> ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu
(Alex Jauch) writes:
> |I heard a rumor today about a program that causes the Energiser bunny to
> |walk across your screen (and other networked macs) at random intervals.
> |I MUST HAVE THIS TOY!  Please send any info via e-mail.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Me too!
>

> --
> Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)
>
>       Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
>       constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

************** AND ************

don't forget me!!!
smisra@eos.ncsu.edu

cantie@acsu.buffalo.edu (bruce n cantie) (12/05/90)

if some one out there has it, PLEASE send it to one of te archive sites!

Thanks much........
Bruce Cantie          Internet:  cantie@cs.Buffalo.EDU | I speak only for me,
LAN Systems           BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVM.BITNET   | U.B. has nothing to
301A Computing Center BITNET:    LSBRUCE@UBVMS.BITNET  | do with it.

mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) (12/05/90)

In article <49082@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> cantie@acsu.buffalo.edu (bruce n cantie) writes:

>if some one out there has it, PLEASE send it to one of te archive sites!

  Uh-oh, the secret's out.  As the author of NetBunny, I have to ask the
organisers of any archive sites that receive NetBunny NOT to make it available
at their sites until I get some kind of permission from Eveready, since
the rabbit IS their trademark.  I've been putting this off since not very
many people had it, but now that EVERYONE wants it, I suppose I'll have to
get on the ball.
  Sorry all.

Dean Yu                            | E-mail:    mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu
Patches 'R' Us                     | Real-mail: Dean Yu
A Division of Cyberite Systems     |            909 Church St Apt C
                                   |            Ann Arbor, MI 48104
I'm not the voice of Reason, much  | Phone:     313 662-4073
    less the voice of Cyberite.    |            313 662-4163

edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (12/05/90)

There is a report on CompuServe that this "cute" bunny can corrupt the
systems.  So I guess it should be classified as a "Trojan".
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

jerrys@canada.sbi.com (Jerry Simonowits) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.154902.20702@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.cwru.edu (David Zinkin) writes:
> In article <1783@blackbird.afit.af.mil> lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L.
> Maurice Riggins) writes:
> >In article <275B0108.14954@orion.oac.uci.edu> ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu (Alex
> Jauch) writes:
> >|I heard a rumor today about a program that causes the Energiser bunny to
> >|walk across your screen (and other networked macs) at random intervals.
> >|I MUST HAVE THIS TOY!  Please send any info via e-mail.
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me Too!!!!

Jerry Simonowits
Salomon Technology Services, Inc.
Internetworking & Support Group
Phone:  201-896-7330
Email:  jerrys@canada.sbi.com
(KB2GCG)

george@swbatl.sbc.com (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec4.210154.15387@engin.umich.edu>
mystone@mondo.engin.umich.edu (Dean Yu) writes:
>  Uh-oh, the secret's out.  As the author of NetBunny, I have to ask the
>organisers of any archive sites that receive NetBunny NOT to make it available
>at their sites until I get some kind of permission from Eveready, since
>the rabbit IS their trademark.  I've been putting this off since not very
>many people had it, but now that EVERYONE wants it, I suppose I'll have to
>get on the ball.
>  Sorry all.

Couldn't you change the bunny into something not trademarked?

How does this thing work?  Do the workstations need to have an init of
some sort?  Does this only work on networks, or will it work on a
stand-alone Mac?

ralphm@elaine28.stanford.edu (Ralph Melton) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.141224.19424@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>There is a report on CompuServe that this "cute" bunny can corrupt the
>systems.  So I guess it should be classified as a "Trojan".
>--
>  Gerald A. Edgar

A Trojan rabbit?  How many others see this as another example of life
imitating art?

"What about a large wooden badger?"--Sir Bedevere

Ralph
--
Ralph Melton	The White Rabbit	ralphm@portia.stanford.edu

"When you hear of a storybook romance, you don't think of the storybook
as being _Alice in Wonderland_ . . ."

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec6.023404.20525@portia.Stanford.EDU>, ralphm@elaine28.stanford.edu (Ralph Melton) writes:
+> In article <1990Dec5.141224.19424@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@shape.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
+> A Trojan rabbit?  How many others see this as another example of life
+> "What about a large wooden badger?"--Sir Bedevere
+> --
+> Ralph Melton	The White Rabbit	ralphm@portia.stanford.edu
   ^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Wasn't that Ralph Aldous Mellish? (Only for serious Python nostalgics; all
others please ignore!)

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec4.162204.2556@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> and about 1000 others write:
>> |I MUST HAVE THIS TOY!  Please send any info via e-mail.

Ask Dean, he's on the net, also it's on the 'Night of the Living Disk',
and from memory also on the MacHack CD-ROM too.

Don't make a big fuss about this .... it's better if lots of people don't
know about it (you lose the element of suprise) this is an init that is much
more fun to sneak into someone's (or even better everyone in the office's)
system folder when they're not looking and then run it while they are
working intensely. The first time I had a NetBunny run along the bottom of
my screen was a complete suprise - I just sat there with my mouth somewhere
down near my ankles and then collapsed laughing ....

	Paul

Oh and PS: "Kill Dean's INITs" :-)

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
What most people don't realize is that those plastic cover slips that your 3

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (12/14/90)

In article <1990Dec4.205412.5983@cec1.wustl.edu> gev6883@cec2.wustl.edu (Child of Vision) writes:
=>
=>
=> I'd like an energizer bunny too...if it's out there....
=>
=> 				-Gene Van Buren
=> 				gev6883@cec2.wustl.edu

I hope Dean Yu gets the chance to post his.  However, I found the
Energizer Bunny in an extremely obnoxious place.  While in the "About
QuicKeys..." dialog box in QuicKeys 2.0, I was copying down CE
Software's address, phone and my serial number.  Suddenly, here the
Bunny comes - being very loud, scaring the crap out of me and waking
up the entire office area.  I took abuse for days over that one.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

st891456@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Phil Marden) (12/16/90)

Can someone please.
BTW what is Night of the Living Disk"?  Where can it be gotten from.
Thanx,  Phil

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (12/16/90)

In article <009413E1.BFCF99C0@pip.cc.brandeis.edu> st891456@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Phil Marden) writes:
>Can someone please.
>BTW what is Night of the Living Disk"?  Where can it be gotten from.
>Thanx,  Phil

Night of the Living Disk is Apple's latest developer Cd-ROM.  Unless you're
a developer or a dealer, getting it is very difficult.  Anyways, if you
don't have a CD-ROM drive, even if you do manage to get a copy, it'll be
totally useless to you.
Donald Burr, Univ of California, Berkeley | "I have a seperate mail-address
INTERNET: c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu     | for flames and other such nega-
      or: 72540.3071@compuserve.COM       | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) (12/17/90)

O.K., so now that the Bunny has been released, has it been posted to any
FTP sites yet?  If so, which and where?

Dean, are you listening?

-shane

"the Ayatollah of Rock-and-Rollah"

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (12/17/90)

deichman@cod.NOSC.MIL (Shane D. Deichman) writes:

> O.K., so now that the Bunny has been released, has it been posted to any
> FTP sites yet?  If so, which and where?

It was released? When did this happen? I thought Dean was still awaiting
Energizers approval (trademark infringement and all). Hmm.

John

seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) (12/18/90)

Where on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DISK is the bunny?  What's the file name?

--
					Matthew Seitz
					seitz@netcom.UUCP

bskendig@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (12/19/90)

In article <18996@netcom.UUCP> seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:
>Where on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DISK is the bunny?  What's the file name?

There are two files: NetBunny, which is the INIT (which can be named
anything, in fact; the author recommends that it be named something
innocent-sounding like `PrintMonitor Prefs' so as not to arouse
suspicion), and StartWabbit, which can start a bunny anywhere on the
network.  You can use Find File to locate them; I know they're also on
the System 7.0b1 CD.

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
"It's not that I don't have the work to *do* -- I don't do the work I *have*."

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (12/21/90)

In article <18996@netcom.UUCP> seitz@netcom.UUCP (Matthew Seitz) writes:
>Where on NIGHT OF THE LIVING DISK is the bunny?  What's the file name?

I couldn't find it on the Night of the living disk cd but its on the beta bang
7.0 cd.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com