[comp.sys.mac.misc] Newsreader/lpr for the Mac.

jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) (11/30/90)

	I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
    the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works with
    TCP. I would like a more general one which could dial a phone number,
    connect to a unix machine, telnet to port 119 of a NNTP site and
    interact with it while presenting a mac interface to the user!

        I am thinking of writing such a program if it doesn't exist already.

--
=== Jeffrey Perry			  ON COOP AT:
=== Computer Science Undergraduate	       GTE, EDCD

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/03/90)

In article <10128@bunny.GTE.COM> jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) writes:
> I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
> the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works
> with TCP.

Actually it's Apple's MacTCP driver, but I think that's what ya' meant.

> I would like a more general one which could dial a phone number,
> connect to a unix machine, telnet to port 119 of a NNTP site and
> interact with it while presenting a mac interface to the user!

I just telnet in and fire up rn or whatever you're favourite UNIX
newsreader is.

(But if you'd like a mac-based newsreader, TCP/Connect's
InterCon II supports serial line IP (SLIP) and is a full NNTP client (as
well as an SNMP client, an SMTP client, a telnet client, and a tn3270
client).  You'll find these topics discussed in  comp.sys.mac.comm and
comp.sys.protocols.appletalk on a regular basis.)  Hope this helps,

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca

doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (12/04/90)

There is a hypercard stack that is great for reading news, but unfortunately, I
don't remember what it is called!  Perhaps someone else out there knows.

					_Blaine

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/07/90)

>In article <10128@bunny.GTE.COM> jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) writes:
>> I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
>> the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works
>> with TCP.

There was another news reader mentioned in comp.sys.mac.digest
a couple of days ago.  I have requested a copy but have not
received it.  It also uses MacTCP.  Is there something wrong
with MacTCP?

It is in the sumex infomac archives as comm/the-news.hqx

BTW - is the hypercard one you refer to Mews?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

pulcher@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Harold Pulcher) (12/08/90)

In article <5335@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>>In article <10128@bunny.GTE.COM> jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) writes:
>>> I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
>>> the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works
>>> with TCP.
>--

I have set up numerous macs on our ethernet here.  We are currently
a combination of NCSA telnet and MacTCP software.  The MacTCP is really
simple to set up.  I don't see why you are not using it either.  Also,
the MacTCP stuff comes with a DA that will allow to remotely print to
any printer that is supported by any UNIX machine available to you.
There are twon things that need to be done.  The first is set up the Mac
with the correct addresses and contact the SYSOP of the UNIX machine
and ask very nicely if he will put you into /etc/hosts.equive so that
you will have permission to use the printer over the network.   I have
only set up a couple of machines to do this completly, but it was no
problem.

--
(      -----  /\    |\  /|     |  I ride a moped and I'm pround of it!!! )
(        |   /__\   | \/ |     |                                         )

kt@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Keith Tizzard) (12/13/90)

In article <5335@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
>>In article <10128@bunny.GTE.COM> jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) writes:
>>> I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
>>> the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works
>>> with TCP.
>
>There was another news reader mentioned in comp.sys.mac.digest
>a couple of days ago.  I have requested a copy but have not
>received it.  It also uses MacTCP.  Is there something wrong
>with MacTCP?

I am sure that there is nothing wrong with it BUT HOW DOES ONE GET HOLD
OF IT???

Many pieces of software seem to need MacTCP - I recently took a copy, from
the net, of MacPost.  It looks good but again assumes that I have MacTCP.

Any help in getting a copy would be welcome.

--
Keith Tizzard
MSOR Dept, University of Exeter, Streatham Court, EXETER EX4 4PU, UK

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (12/14/90)

In article <5335@crystal9.UUCP> derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes:
)>In article <10128@bunny.GTE.COM> jp10@GTE.COM (Jeffrey Perry) writes:
)>> I would be interested in any information you get on news readers for
)>> the mac. I know about the hypercard one but i believe it only works
)>> with TCP.

)There was another news reader mentioned in comp.sys.mac.digest
)a couple of days ago.  I have requested a copy but have not
)received it.  It also uses MacTCP.  Is there something wrong
)with MacTCP?

	Yes and no.  It probably works just fine if you are are on a
network, but my mac is standalone, fed mail via UUCP.  Is there news
software for stand alone macs *other* than uAccess, which is a tad
richer than I can/care/would pay ($375 list, approx. ~$200 educational.)
When you think of the functional UUCP mail and news implimentations for
the messy-dos and ameager's (free or shareware!) it is amazing that
no-one has done the same for the Mac.  The best I've seen was UUCP and
mail, and it works, it just isn't very mac-like (which I can live with.)

	At this point I'm have convinced that I'll have to hack something
up myself, which is a pain because I'm not a programmer...

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/15/90)

In article <1107@exua.exeter.ac.uk>, kt@msor.exeter.ac.uk (Keith Tizzard)
writes:
> I am sure that there is nothing wrong with it BUT HOW DOES ONE GET HOLD
> OF IT???
>
> Many pieces of software seem to need MacTCP - I recently took a copy, from
> the net, of MacPost.  It looks good but again assumes that I have MacTCP.
>
> Any help in getting a copy would be welcome.

Once again, you need to contact APDA (Apple Programmer and Developer Association)
at 1.800.282.2732 and ask about MacTCP.  You will have to join APDA in order
to get it, but there are a ton of other things they have for sale that are
useful as well.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

HMPQC@CUNYVM (12/21/90)

MacTCP costs money. It's about $100 from APDA.