[comp.sys.mac.misc] new apple printer?? myth or reality???

jeff@ge1ccj.Quotron.com (jeff marder) (12/20/90)

I was told at a retail outlet that MACWEEK reported that Apple is coming
out with a new printer, list $600, that has better resolution than a
HP deskwriter.  Any comments or release dates???

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (12/20/90)

In article <665@ge1ccj.Quotron.com>, jeff@ge1ccj.Quotron.com (jeff marder) writes:

> I was told at a retail outlet that MACWEEK reported that Apple is coming
> out with a new printer, list $600, that has better resolution than a
> HP deskwriter.  Any comments or release dates???

Yes, I know: 360DPI is a good number (5x the basic 72dpi resolution) in that
it will print out 72dpi with 5x5 dots per pixel (I guess that's good), BUT,
what about all of those 300DPI bitmaps out there?

Aliasing, anyone?  I can see it now: "Precision bitmap alignment:
20% reduction" in the bubblejet page setup dialog box.

I think that 360DPI should have been the standard in the first place, but it
would seem that 300DPI has a large amount of momentum going.

Any comments?
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan J Torrie) (12/21/90)

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:

>In article <665@ge1ccj.Quotron.com>, jeff@ge1ccj.Quotron.com (jeff marder) writes:
>>
>> I was told at a retail outlet that MACWEEK reported that Apple is coming
>> out with a new printer, list $600, that has better resolution than a
>> HP deskwriter.  Any comments or release dates???

>Yes, I know: 360DPI is a good number (5x the basic 72dpi resolution) in that
>it will print out 72dpi with 5x5 dots per pixel (I guess that's good), BUT,
>what about all of those 300DPI bitmaps out there?

  What 300 dpi bitmaps?  Most graphics targeted for laser printers are sourced
either from EPS, or non-bitmap type PICTs...

  Anyway, the 360 dpi is constrained a bit by the Canon bubble-jet engine -
they don't make it in 300 dpi versions.

[BTW, for the original poster, MacWeek reckons March 1991]

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"She's got a tongue like an electric eel, and she likes the taste of a
 man's tonsils!"  - Rik Flashheart

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (12/21/90)

jeff@ge1ccj.Quotron.com (jeff marder) writes:

> I was told at a retail outlet that MACWEEK reported that Apple is coming
> out with a new printer, list $600, that has better resolution than a
> HP deskwriter.  Any comments or release dates???

According to that article, the printer is suppose to be a 360 dpi inkjet
using TrueType technology. The release date is Spring of 1991, during the
Seybold Desktop Publishing Conference.

John

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (12/21/90)

Well, Apple is coming out with this printer (ImagerWriter III?) and it is
supposed to be like a DeskWriter. I will belive it when I see it. The
deskwriter is very strong in the Mac dept and it will have to be one heck of a
difference to get a lot of people to switch from DW to Apple's....

Dave

          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com