[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macintosh BBS

lmk@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Loukis M Kissonergis) (12/11/90)

Is there a sophisticated remote Bulletin Board System for the
Macintosh other than Red Ryder Host?  Something along the lines of
RBBS-PC that is used on IBM PC's.  Please let me know if such a
package exists and how many nodes it can handle.

Loukis

trottiers@yvax.byu.edu (12/12/90)

LMK> Is there a sophisticated remote Bulletin Board System for the
LMK> Macintosh other than Red Ryder Host? Something along the lines of
LMK> RBBS-PC that is used on IBM PC's. Please let me know if such a
LMK> package exists and how many nodes it can handle.

My favorite is Hermes BBS.  The current version is 1.0.4.  Hermes is
shareware for $75, and well worth the price.  It can handle up to 10 nodes,
all running from one computer.  Of course, if you want to have more than 2
nodes you'll need to get a 3rd party serial port card.  Hermes supports ANSI
color graphics, has a good messageing and file transfer system, and is Tabby
compatable.  Tabby allows message sharing on the FidoNet network.  In
addition, Hermes will soon (this month sometime) have online game
capabilities.

* Steve Trottier           * AOL:   STrottier            *
* Internet:                * Sysop, Mainly Macintosh BBS *
* trottiers@yvax.byu.edu   *      24 hrs. (801) 374-5438 *

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (12/13/90)

In article <1107@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> lmk@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Loukis M Kissonergis) writes:
>Is there a sophisticated remote Bulletin Board System for the
>Macintosh other than Red Ryder Host?

Macworld December 1990 has a review of Telefinder Group Edition 2.0,
and our abstract says:

First commercial BBS system with a graphical user interface consists of the
Group Edition Host BBS and TF/User program for BBS users.
Supports up to 6 phone lines, 57 K bps, passwords, callbacks, downloading, and
conferences.  $375 for 20 users, $575 for 80 users, $1250 for 250 users, from
Spider Island Software: 714 669-9260.

(Note: this information brought to you from our MacInfo database of Macintosh
 Literature.  Mail me if you are interested in the database)
--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (12/14/90)

In article <1107@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> lmk@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Loukis M Kissonergis) writes:

>Is there a sophisticated remote Bulletin Board System for the
>Macintosh other than Red Ryder Host?  Something along the lines of
>RBBS-PC that is used on IBM PC's.  Please let me know if such a
>package exists and how many nodes it can handle.

Other than Second Sight (formerly Red Host), Hermes is not bad.  Hermes is
very nice on the Sysop end but I don't think the user end is as nice as
Second Sight.

dlong@uiuc.edu (12/21/90)

Kissonergis) writes:
>>Is there a sophisticated remote Bulletin Board System for the
>>Macintosh other than Red Ryder Host?
>
>Macworld December 1990 has a review of Telefinder Group Edition 2.0,
>and our abstract says:
>
>First commercial BBS system with a graphical user interface consists of the
>Group Edition Host BBS and TF/User program for BBS users.
>Supports up to 6 phone lines, 57 K bps, passwords, callbacks, downloading, and
>conferences.  $375 for 20 users, $575 for 80 users, $1250 for 250 users, from
>Spider Island Software: 714 669-9260.
>
>(Note: this information brought to you from our MacInfo database of Macintosh
> Literature.  Mail me if you are interested in the database)
>--
>--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
>Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709
>nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us,                                        415-649-8176
>Niles.Assoc on AppleLink                                  fax: 415-649-8179

The Champaign-Urbana Mac Users' Group just got TeleFinder for our BBS system
after having used Red Ryder Host for some time.  We're *very* pleased with it-
the interface is very "finder-like", and the response time so far seems better
than things like AppleLink or America Online, which are the closest things i've
seen to it.  Also, I should point out that they give discounts to user groups-
I think we paid *much* less than $1250 for our 250-user license!

dave long                     dlong@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
research programmer           dlong@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
computing services office     AppleLink: A0377
university of illinois

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us"

        -Calvin