[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacWarehouse absolved...

wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (12/20/90)

I've gotten plenty of mail about this and EVERYONE has been quite
positive about their experience with MacWarehouse. I assume it
is a fluke, although a bit of a pain.

This leads to the question, "How do you design networked database
software so that databases are kept consistent?" Why don't people
do this? The airlines can do it, why can't the software developers
who coded up the stuff for MacWarehouse.

Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (12/21/90)

In article <49942@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>I've gotten plenty of mail about this and EVERYONE has been quite
>positive about their experience with MacWarehouse. I assume it
>is a fluke, although a bit of a pain.
>
>This leads to the question, "How do you design networked database
>software so that databases are kept consistent?" Why don't people
>do this? The airlines can do it, why can't the software developers
>who coded up the stuff for MacWarehouse.

You've obviously ordered software more often than you've flown.  :-)

Seriously, the airlines deliberately overbook.  Being off by one in
the amount they overbook is no big deal (for them, at least).

From my experience, I would guess that MacConnection and MacWarehouse
both have excellent networked databases.  However, this is a very busy
season, and there is a gap of a few minutes between the time when they
check the availability, and the time when they enter your order.  I
suspect this "hole" may account for at least some of the occasional
problems.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >