[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacWarehouse and "misleading" phone representatives.

wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (12/20/90)

Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
order.

What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
Have many other people found this experience?

--Peter Wayner

Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
   Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
   they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
   overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
   enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
   12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
   time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
   order.

   What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
   Have many other people found this experience?

I have ordered from MacConnection and MacWarehouse on a number of
occasions, and MacZone once.  I would not hesitate to to place another
order at any of these places.  Anytime when there would be a delay, I
was told of it in advance (back-ordered, whatever).  In some cases, I
even received the item *before* they said I would!  In other words, I
suspect that your experience was a fluke.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

holzman@sequent.UUCP (Alan Holzman) (12/20/90)

wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:

>Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
>they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
>overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day
>I bet they just wanted to lock in the order

>What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps ?

	I've ordered from them 5 or 6 times. Service and delivery have
	always been polite and on time. They once even offered free
	surface delivery if I didn't mind a three day wait. I said O.K.
	The box arrived in 2 days and I wasn't charged. I've certainly
	been satisfied with their service and prices. I've used
	MacConnection as well and they are fairly similar in price and
	delivery in my experience.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP>
           wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
> they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
> overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
> enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
> 12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
> time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
> order.
>
> What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
> Have many other people found this experience?

I've ordered from MacWarehouse a lot.  No problems with them saying they
had something which they did not in fact have (and there certainly have
been times when they told me that what I wanted was *not* in stock at the
moment).  They did goof up one order once, but were very quick to remidy
that mixup.  So, my experience is one minor mixup in 20-40 orders.  I'm
very happy with both them and MacConnection.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP>, wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
|> Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
|> they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
|> overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
|> enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
|> 12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
|> time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
|> order.
|>
|> What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
|> Have many other people found this experience?

I have no bad experience with them - I've ordered from them a couple
of times.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
>they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
>overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
>enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
>12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
>time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
>order.
>
>What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
>Have many other people found this experience?

I'd have to say this is the exception rather than the rule.  I've placed
many orders with both MacWarehouse and MacConnection without a problem.

People mess up once in a while.  I doubt that MacWarehouse was trying to
lock in orders.

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (12/20/90)

I ordered a software package that they said would have to be backordered.
I was in no hurry, so I said 'fine'.

Their letter apologizing for the backorder arrived two days later - the same
day as my backordered software!

-Drew

--
Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>[...] I bet they just wanted to lock in the order.

Well, I don't believe they've locked in anything. As long as you have a tounge
in your head and a finger to dial a phone with, you could cancel your order
with them and try elsewhere. I must admit that I've run into delays because
of backorders (not under same circumstances), but if the wait was too long I
simply would look elswhere. So why the complaints?

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *

dmb3m@maxwell.acc.Virginia.EDU (David M. Brienza) (12/20/90)

in article 6765 wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner):

>Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
>they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
>overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
>enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
>12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
>time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
>order.
>
>What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
>Have many other people found this experience?

Last time I ordered from MacWarehouse I ordered two TOPS Phonenet
type connectors which where suposedly "instock" when I was on the
phone. The next day only one showed up at my doorstep and one was
backordered. I was a bit disturbed to say the least. This is the
first time I've had a problem with them out of ~15 orders.

-Dave
Dave Brienza
Internet       : dmb3m@Virginia.edu                Office : 804-977-6730
America OnLine : dmb3m 				   Home   : 804-977-7224

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (12/20/90)

wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:

>Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
>they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
>overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
>enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
>12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
>time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
>order.

>What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
>Have many other people found this experience?

I have _never_ (in about 30 orders) had any problem with MacConnection,
Mac Zone, or Mac Warehouse.  I do, however, have something to complain about:

On Dec 10, I ordered a Quantum 105M drive from MacStuf.  I asked, and the
gentleman informed me that the drive was in stock and would ship "this
afternoon or tomorrow."  After waiting impatiently until Dec. 14 (I am
down to 700K on one of my drives) I called to determine the status of
my order.  I was told that "it shipped yesterday; should be there tomorrow."
I asked why I was told that the drive had shipped 3 days earlier -
their answer was "I don't know, we've been out of stock on those for quite
some time.  I'll check into it , but your drive definitely _did_ ship and should
be there tomorrow or the day after."  I called back today (Dec. 19) and asked
again why my order had not arrived.  I was told that it shipped _this morning_
and would be here in a day or two.  I informed the gentleman on the phone what
I had previously been through with the order and he promised to "check into
it."  What service.

Jon

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (12/20/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP>, wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
> Have many other people found this experience?

MacWherehouse has never backordered me. They have been extremely efficient
and helpful in my experiences. I suspect that it was more laziness
in the representative's not checking the stock thoroughly than it
was a deliberate act to lock in your order.

tim.

trottiers@yvax.byu.edu (12/21/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP>
           wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
> they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
> overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
> enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
> 12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
> time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
> order.
>
> What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
> Have many other people found this experience?

I've only placed one order with MacWarehouse so I don't know if my
experience is typical or not.  I ordered a dust cover for my SE/30 with
extended keyboard.  They sent me one to fit a standard keyboard.  I called
back and told them of their mistake.  They told me to keep the wrong dust
cover and they immediately sent the correct one which I received the next
day.  I was pleased because and I gave the cover for the standard keyboard
to my mother who has a Mac Plus.  Not bad.

* Steve Trottier           * AOL:   STrottier            *
* Internet:                * Sysop, Mainly Macintosh BBS *
* trottiers@yvax.byu.edu   *      24 hrs. (801) 374-5438 *

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (12/21/90)

In article <49901@cornell.UUCP> wayner@cello.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>Three days ago, I ordered a IIci cache card from MacWarehouse which
>they assured me was "on the shelves" and would be shipped tonight via
>overnight express. It didn't arrive the next day and when I called to
>enquire they told me it was backordered (supposed to be arriving on
>12/21) and there must have been someone ordering the card at the same
>time and they got the last one.  I bet they just wanted to lock in the
>order.
>
>What has everyone else's experiences been with these mailorder reps?
>Have many other people found this experience?
>
>--Peter Wayner

I have dealt with MacConnection and MacWarehouse on several occasions
over the last couple of years, and I have found them to be uniformly
excellent.  I also have recently used MacZone, and they seem to be in
the same class.

I'm quite convinced that they did not just want to lock your order.
The last time I ordered something (a week ago), I was told that the
thing I wanted was out of stock and would be in within a week.  I
ordered anyway, and got it two days later (instead of the usual one
day).

I've recently heard some bad things in this newsgroup about another
mailorder house (I won't repeat it because I have no personal
information), but MacConnection and MacWarehouse are, so far as I
know, class acts.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Kok Yong Tan) (12/21/90)

In article <FRANCIS.90Dec19134245@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu> francis@wolfman.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
 {stuff deleted}
>I have ordered from MacConnection and MacWarehouse on a number of
>occasions, and MacZone once.  I would not hesitate to to place another
>order at any of these places.  Anytime when there would be a delay, I
>was told of it in advance (back-ordered, whatever).  In some cases, I
>even received the item *before* they said I would!  In other words, I
>suspect that your experience was a fluke.

Nope.  I've had problems with MacWarehouse too, particularly with a return of a
defective product.  It got satisfactorily resolved in the end (which took a
couple of weeks that I really couldn't spare) but I'll think twice before
dealing with them again.

On the other hand, I order very frequently from MacConnection and never have
any problems, even with returns.  Those guys really have their act together and
dealing with them is an absolute pleasure.  They bring new meaning to the
expression "customer service" in terms of promptness, politeness and return
policy.

Note: Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no connection to
MacConnection.

Kok-Yong Tan can be reached at:      | "Oscularis fundamentum!"
InterNet: kyt@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu |	     	       - Annoyed Latin scholar
CompuServe: 75046,256                | I speak for myself and disclaim all ties
America Online: lallang              | with regard to this message.