[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help Needed: Transfer files from unix to mac

cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) (12/25/90)

Hi, there:
	I have some files in binhex form that needed to be transfered from
unix to mac. I tried to use copy and paste on mac before. But this file
is too large, it would take hours to do it this way. Can anyone help me
with this? I use MS Works and an Modem to connect my Mac to UNIX.

Thanks in advance.

Peter Liu

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/26/90)

In article <1990Dec25.084558.22386@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) writes:

> Hi, there:
> 	I have some files in binhex form that needed to be transfered from
> unix to mac. I tried to use copy and paste on mac before. But this file
> is too large, it would take hours to do it this way. Can anyone help me
> with this? I use MS Works and an Modem to connect my Mac to UNIX.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Peter Liu

	I don't know much MS Works.  Does it support Kermit?  If it does,
kermit it!

Ida

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (12/27/90)

In <1990Dec25.084558.22386@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> cliu@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (chang hsu liu) writes:

>is too large, it would take hours to do it this way. Can anyone help me
>with this? I use MS Works and an Modem to connect my Mac to UNIX.

  My version of MS Works (version 1.0) supports xmodem, a simple protocol
for transfer files. To use it:

1.  Type "sx <filename>" (and a CR of course!)
2.  The unix host answers "Give your local XMODEM receive command now."
3.  Choose "Recieve file" from the Communications menu
4.  Click on the radio button "xmodem text transfer" to choose protocol
5.  CLick on the "OK" button (or is it called "Recieve"?)
6.  The transfer starts

  If your're going to send a lot of files between, you better find a faster
protocol than xmodem, it all depends on your communication software (on the
mac as well as on the unix machine). (I'm always using zmodem.)

***Further discussions redirected to comp.sys.mac.comm***

hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu (Jon Hamilton) (12/27/90)

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

>Followup-To:comp.sys.mac.comm

[stuff deleted...]
>  If your're going to send a lot of files between, you better find a faster
>protocol than xmodem, it all depends on your communication software (on the
>mac as well as on the unix machine). (I'm always using zmodem.)

This may be a touch off the topic, but the latest release of kermit supports
sliding windows, which allows me to routinely get >90% efficiency using
it.

--

%  Internet       : hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu | Insert cute and/or %
%  America Online : JonHam                           | deeply meaningful  %

Jon.Hamilton@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jon Hamilton) (12/27/90)

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

>Followup-To:comp.sys.mac.comm

[stuff deleted...]
>  If your're going to send a lot of files between, you better find a faster
>protocol than xmodem, it all depends on your communication software (on the
>mac as well as on the unix machine). (I'm always using zmodem.)

This may be a touch off the topic, but the latest release of kermit supports
sliding windows, which allows me to routinely get >90% efficiency using
it.

>***Further discussions redirected to comp.sys.mac.comm***
--

%  Internet       : hamilton@kickapoo.cs.iastate.edu I Insert cute and/or %
%  America Online : JonHam                           I deeply meaningful  %

--
Jon Hamilton - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Jon.Hamilton