[comp.sys.mac.misc] Dead Floppies ?????

inm501@csc.anu.edu.au (12/27/90)

	I had 7 dead floopies died in a day in the sense that after I
copied files off them and asked my HD drive to erase it, it says
INITIALIZATION FAILED.  Last night, I tried FastFormat 3.0 on them.
It complains that it is having some problems and asks  me whether
I would like to continue.  I say yes and I seem to have my disk back.
	But...I don't think I want to put anything on those disk again.

Ida

inm501@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (inm501) (12/27/90)

--
inm501 - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!inm501

wilde@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Nick Wilde) (12/28/90)

I take my old floppies that fail to initialize on my Mac IIcx
with superdrive, and stick 'em in a Mac II with the old (non-superdrive)
disk drives in it.  They initialize fine there, and work in
both machines again with no problem....

Don't ask me why, all I know is it works.

-Nick

Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu

Nick.Wilde@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Nick Wilde) (12/28/90)

I take my old floppies that fail to initialize on my Mac IIcx
with superdrive, and stick 'em in a Mac II with the old (non-superdrive)
disk drives in it.  They initialize fine there, and work in
both machines again with no problem....

Don't ask me why, all I know is it works.

-Nick

Nick Wilde                                           wilde@boulder.colorado.edu

--
Nick Wilde - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Nick.Wilde

tonyrich@titanic.cs.wisc.edu (Anthony Rich) (12/29/90)

Ida writes:

>   I had 7 floppies die in a day in the sense that after I
> copied files off them and asked my HD drive to erase it, it says
> INITIALIZATION FAILED.  Last night, I tried FastFormatter 3.0 on them.
> It complains that it is having some problems and asks me whether
> I would like to continue.  I say yes and I seem to have my disk back.

Careful!  The floppy will mount on the desktop as though it were okay,
but the bad sectors are *still bad*.  When FastFormatter says it's "having
some problems", it's finding bad sectors.  If you press "Continue" it just
skips them and keeps formatting the good ones.  To *really* fix the floppy,
after using FastFormatter 3.0 and its "Continue" option, use a utility like
SUM Tuneup to lock out the bad sectors.

  -- Tony

| EMAIL:  tonyrich@.cs.wisc.edu  | Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. |
|                 The essence of learning is repetition.                 |

Anthony.Rich@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Anthony Rich) (12/29/90)

Ida writes:

>   I had 7 floppies die in a day in the sense that after I
> copied files off them and asked my HD drive to erase it, it says
> INITIALIZATION FAILED.  Last night, I tried FastFormatter 3.0 on them.
> It complains that it is having some problems and asks me whether
> I would like to continue.  I say yes and I seem to have my disk back.

Careful!  The floppy will mount on the desktop as though it were okay,
but the bad sectors are *still bad*.  When FastFormatter says it's "having
some problems", it's finding bad sectors.  If you press "Continue" it just
skips them and keeps formatting the good ones.  To *really* fix the floppy,
after using FastFormatter 3.0 and its "Continue" option, use a utility like
SUM Tuneup to lock out the bad sectors.

  -- Tony

I EMAIL:  tonyrich@.cs.wisc.edu  I Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself. I
I                 The essence of learning is repetition.                 I

--
Anthony Rich - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Anthony.Rich