[comp.sys.mac.misc] Stuffit 1.5.1 or CHAOS!

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (12/28/90)

In <SBCHANIN.90Dec27174738@fiber-one.ai.mit.edu> sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:

>with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor

  I think the most important thing with compression utilities is that
everyone is able to uncompress the files.

  I've seen postings using Stuffit Classic, Stuffit Deluxe, Compactor and
Compactor Self extracting. If this trend will continue then everyone must
collect all new compression utilities, and there will be a lot of FAQs like
"How do I uncompress the file XXXX?"

  We have made an agreement of using Stuffit 1.5.1 until we could *agree* of
a better replacement.

  UNTIL THEN: KEEP USING STUFFIT 1.5.1 FOR ALL YOUR POSTINGS TO THE NET!

  I can uncompress Stuffit 1.5.1 archives on unix and put it into our
AUFS-area, this is not possible with any Compactor archive nor with
any later Stuffit archive. Remember that there are a lot of AUFS-archives
out there!

    /Olle

PS. I find Compactor very nice, but I can't use it any
    more: I haven't payed the SW :-( .   DS

Olle.Furberg@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Olle Furberg) (12/28/90)

--
Olle Furberg - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Olle.Furberg

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.011656.7485@sics.se>
           ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>   I think the most important thing with compression utilities is that
> everyone is able to uncompress the files.
>
>   I've seen postings using Stuffit Classic, Stuffit Deluxe, Compactor and
> Compactor Self extracting. If this trend will continue then everyone must
> collect all new compression utilities, and there will be a lot of FAQs
> like "How do I uncompress the file XXXX?"
>
>   We have made an agreement of using Stuffit 1.5.1 until we could
> *agree* of a better replacement.
>
>   UNTIL THEN: KEEP USING STUFFIT 1.5.1 FOR ALL YOUR POSTINGS TO THE NET!

Everything said above makes sense.  America Online has gone with the same
guidelines for uploading files there, and for pretty much the same
reasons.  They do allow ".sea" files (self-extracting archives) but then
then they pretty much assume you have a Mac if you're going to be
downloading software from AOL.

I'm not quite sure what the current situation is on CIS, as I haven't been
on much recently.  I did notice some threads there with people upset about
the increasing chaos of compaction methods. Anyone know what their current
uploading policy is?

(CIS = CompuServe Information Services...)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

Garance.Drosehn@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Garance Drosehn) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.011656.7485@sics.se>
           ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>   I think the most important thing with compression utilities is that
> everyone is able to uncompress the files.
>
>   I've seen postings using Stuffit Classic, Stuffit Deluxe, Compactor and
> Compactor Self extracting. If this trend will continue then everyone must
> collect all new compression utilities, and there will be a lot of FAQs
> like "How do I uncompress the file XXXX?"
>
>   We have made an agreement of using Stuffit 1.5.1 until we could
> *agree* of a better replacement.
>
>   UNTIL THEN: KEEP USING STUFFIT 1.5.1 FOR ALL YOUR POSTINGS TO THE NET!

Everything said above makes sense.  America Online has gone with the same
guidelines for uploading files there, and for pretty much the same
reasons.  They do allow ".sea" files (self-extracting archives) but then
then they pretty much assume you have a Mac if you're going to be
downloading software from AOL.

I'm not quite sure what the current situation is on CIS, as I haven't been
on much recently.  I did notice some threads there with people upset about
the increasing chaos of compaction methods. Anyone know what their current
uploading policy is?

(CIS = CompuServe Information Services...)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu

--
Garance Drosehn - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Garance.Drosehn

daven@svc.portal.com (12/29/90)

In article <`NQ^73|@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes:
>I'm not quite sure what the current situation is on CIS, as I haven't been
>on much recently.  I did notice some threads there with people upset about
>the increasing chaos of compaction methods. Anyone know what their current
>uploading policy is?
>
>(CIS = CompuServe Information Services...)

I believe CIS' policy is to make StuffIt Deluxe the preferred format, and
StuffIt 1.5.1 and Compactor approved alternatives. Neil Shapiro, the head
of the MAUG sections of CIS, posted a nice summary of their decision.

The Aladdin people (publisher's of StuffIt Deluxe) are willing to place
the StuffIt Deluxe file formats and compression alogrithms in escrow.
Should Aladdin go out of business completely, then CIS can gain the
necessary information on how to extract files from all the Deluxe archives
in their libraries.

Neil went on to state that StuffIt 1.5.1 file formats and compression
techniques being public knowledge made it a more than acceptable format
for use on CIS. He then went on to state that Compactor's author was
unable to reach an agreement with CIS on placing his file formats and
compression techniques into escrow. Therefore, MAUG could not in make
Compator files the preffered format, but would continue to allow users
to upload files compressed with Compator.

Preferred format means that MAUG sysops will use this format when
placing files themselves into CIS libraries, and that MAUG will encourage
users to use the preferred format.

If I've got any part of the above wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected. I
welcome it actually, since I'm writing this from memory, and am not sure
I have all the details right.

   Dave Newman              |  daven@svc.portal.com        |  AppleLink: D0025
   Sofware Ventures Corp.   |  AOL: MicroPhone             |  CIS: 76004,2161
   Berkeley, CA  94705      |  WELL: tinman@well.sf.ca.us  |  (415) 644-3232

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/31/90)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes in a message on 28 Dec
90:

GD> I'm not quite sure what the current situation is on CIS, as I
GD> haven't been on much recently. I did notice some threads there
GD> with people upset about the increasing chaos of compaction methods.
GD> Anyone know what their current uploading policy is?

In the MAUG forums, they've decided that:

StuffIt Classic 1.6 or Deluxe is the "Recommended Standard"
Compactor is an "Acceptable Format"

And, indeed, they've gone to great pains to make a file available which is simply
all the freebie extractors for their acceptable archivers.  A fair compromise,
IMHO.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/31/90)

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) writes in a message on 28 Dec
90:

GD> I'm not quite sure what the current situation is on CIS, as I
GD> haven't been on much recently. I did notice some threads there
GD> with people upset about the increasing chaos of compaction methods.
GD> Anyone know what their current uploading policy is?

In the MAUG forums, they've decided that:

StuffIt Classic 1.6 or Deluxe is the "Recommended Standard"
Compactor is an "Acceptable Format"

And, indeed, they've gone to great pains to make a file available which is simply
all the freebie extractors for their acceptable archivers.  A fair compromise,
IMHO.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!200.2!Adam.Frix