[comp.sys.mac.misc] Does anyone make an external switch for serial port?

toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) (12/22/90)

I just bought a hardware device (MacVision) that needs to plug into my
modem port. Problem is, I usually have a modem plugged in there. I *hate*
fiddling with cables into the back of my Mac, which sits snugly in a
compartment of a desk and is bound by all the other stuff going into it
which makes it tough to move.

So rather than unplugging and plugging in the modem and MacVision every
time I want to use one or the other, I'd like to be able to switch between
the two externally. If I must, I will make the switch myself, but first
I thought I'd ask if there was some such device already on the market
to save me the work (and which would probably be slightly more elegant! ;-)

Please E-mail; I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

Thanks, Tom A.

-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
:-) I'd rather be  ____  Thomas Arneberg   |   #include <std_disclaimer.h>    |
:-) singing in a  |____| Sr. CAD Engineer  +----------------------------------+
:-) barbershop   _|   _| Bipolar Int. Tech.| bit!toma@cse.ogi.edu             |
:-) quartet!    (_)  (_) Beaverton, Oregon | ...!{ogicse,sun,decwrl}!bit!toma |
-------------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/22/90)

In article <142@bit.UUCP>, toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes...

[ I need a serial port switch-box ...]

Mail to Mr. Arneberg bounced; also, others may be interested.

DataSpec makes switch-boxes for the Mac.  I have an A/B/C/D box and
love it.  Got it for $27.50 from ORA Electronics; 9410 Owensmouth Ave;
Chatworth, CA  91311.  You'll need a "straight-thru cable" -- not Imagewriter,
and not standard serial cable, available as part number XXAPL-8EXT-6 in
order to go from the Mac to the switch-box.  The cable cost $6.50.

The same company sells A/B boxes, but I'd recommend the A/B/C/D.
I already ran out of ports!  (Haven't got the phone number, sorry.)

I have my modem cable, midi interface, and null modem to PC cables
hanging off this box and working normally.  An Imagewriter II or
Deskwriter can also be routed through this box, but some serial
devices, such as the SID-II or CSD sound digitizer, won't work this
way.  This caveat may possibly apply in Mr. Arneberg's situation,
in which the need was to connect a MacVision video capture gizmo.

(Evidentally not all 8 pins are connected; the fault may be with the
"straight-thru" cable (likely) or with the switch-box.  Haven't checked.)

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (12/27/90)

toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes:

>.........I'd like to be able to switch between
>the two externally.......

I bought a 4 way Macintosh serial port switch for about $50.  I
think there was also a 2 way version.  They are push button and
very low profile.  I got mine from MacWarehouse.  Manufacturer:
DataSpec.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/27/90)

In article <5466@marble.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes...
>toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes:
>
>>.........I'd like to be able to switch between
>>the two externally.......
>
>I bought a 4 way Macintosh serial port switch for about $50.  I
>think there was also a 2 way version.  They are push button and
>very low profile.  I got mine from MacWarehouse.  Manufacturer:
>DataSpec.

The same DataSpec ABCD switch-box goes for $27.50 from ORA Electronics,
9410 Owensworth Avenue, Chatworth, CA  91311.  1-818-772-2700.
It's a nifty box, with suction-cup feet that let it sit conveniently
on top of CPU or monitor.

Part no. is XXDSM804 for the switch-box; you'll also need a "straight-
thru" cable, part no. XXAPL-8ext-6.  They take VISA/Mastercard.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

John.DeRosa@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John DeRosa) (12/27/90)

toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes:

>.........I'd like to be able to switch between
>the two externally.......

I bought a 4 way Macintosh serial port switch for about $50.  I
think there was also a 2 way version.  They are push button and
very low profile.  I got mine from MacWarehouse.  Manufacturer:
DataSpec.
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =
= Applelink: N1111                                                         =
=I do not hold by employer responsible for any information in this message =

IL

--
John DeRosa - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.DeRosa

johnston@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (johnston) (12/27/90)

In article <5466@marble.UUCP>, derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) writes...
>toma@bit.UUCP (Tom Arneberg) writes:
>
>>.........I'd like to be able to switch between
>>the two externally.......
>
>I bought a 4 way Macintosh serial port switch for about $50.  I
>think there was also a 2 way version.  They are push button and
>very low profile.  I got mine from MacWarehouse.  Manufacturer:
>DataSpec.

The same DataSpec ABCD switch-box goes for $27.50 from ORA Electronics,
9410 Owensworth Avenue, Chatworth, CA  91311.  1-818-772-2700.
It's a nifty box, with suction-cup feet that let it sit conveniently
on top of CPU or monitor.

Part no. is XXDSM804 for the switch-box; you'll also need a "straight-
thru" cable, part no. XXAPL-8ext-6.  They take VISA/Mastercard.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

--
johnston - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!johnston

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/01/91)

 As an alternative, if you have Nubus slots, Applied Engineering  makes a
 4 port serial card. It sells for about $200 mail-order. I don't know how well
 it works (though I would like comments if anyone has it).

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com