[comp.sys.mac.misc] Need Info. on PostScript LaserWriters

gandhi@pender.ee.upenn.edu (Prashant Gandhi) (12/27/90)

I am looking for a cheap but dependable postscript printer.  The three
printer that I am considering are NEC Silenwriter II 90, Apple Personal
Laserwriter NT and QMS PS 410.  I am currently leaning toward the NEC II 90
since it is a 6 Page/Min printer and has a multi-purpose 250-sheet tray
(it can fit letter, legal and envelops).  Also it has the lowest street
prince of $1600.  The QMS PS410 on the other hand is a 4 Page/Min printer
with 50-sheet tray and street price of $1999.  The dependable Apple
printer costs around $2250 with the educational discounts.

I would like to make sure that the printer I purchase has no inherent problems.
Has anyone had any of the above three printers?  How do you feel about
them?

Any help will be much appreciated.  Please email your response.
Thanks.

Prashant Gandhi				|  gandhi@pender.ee.upenn.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering	|----------------------------------
Villanova University			|  Celebrate your local
Villanova, PA  19085			|  Computer Appreciation Day

Prashant.Gandhi@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Prashant Gandhi) (12/27/90)

I am looking for a cheap but dependable postscript printer.  The three
printer that I am considering are NEC Silenwriter II 90, Apple Personal
Laserwriter NT and QMS PS 410.  I am currently leaning toward the NEC II 90
since it is a 6 Page/Min printer and has a multi-purpose 250-sheet tray
(it can fit letter, legal and envelops).  Also it has the lowest street
prince of $1600.  The QMS PS410 on the other hand is a 4 Page/Min printer
with 50-sheet tray and street price of $1999.  The dependable Apple
printer costs around $2250 with the educational discounts.

I would like to make sure that the printer I purchase has no inherent problems.
Has anyone had any of the above three printers?  How do you feel about
them?

Any help will be much appreciated.  Please email your response.
Thanks.

Prashant Gandhi                         I  gandhi@pender.ee.upenn.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering    I----------------------------------
Villanova University                    I  Celebrate your local
Villanova, PA  19085                    I  Computer Appreciation Day

--
Prashant Gandhi - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Prashant.Gandhi

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (12/28/90)

Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
printing!

Dave
          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com

d88-jwa@nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (12/28/90)

In article <> pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

>Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
>PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
>printing!

This is, of course, false as water (uh... doesn't translate into
English, does it ?)

I use a Personal LaserWriter IInt for my work, and I assure you; the
output I get from FreeHand files and PageMaker documents and... are
very much PostScript-like. Besides, it says "PostScript" right on the
startup page, if you've bothered to look.

The Personal LaserWriter IIsc, though, is not PostScript. But it's much
cheaper, on the other hand :-)

								H+
--

Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/28/90)

In article <1990Dec28.105032.4577@clark.edu> pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

|Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
|PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
|printing!
|
|Dave

Get your facts straight, Dave.  The Personal LaserWriter II NT IS a Postscript
printer and it runs off AppleTalk just like previous LaserWriters.

It's the Personal LaserWriter II SC (the one that connects to the SCSI port)
that uses QuickDraw.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (12/29/90)

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

> Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
> PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
> printing!

Wrong. The Personal LaserWriter NT is a networkable Postscript printer
based on Canon's LBP-LX print engine, which has a duty cycle rated at
150,000 pages, or half that of the LaserWriter IIs but 50 percent more
than the original LaserWriter. The printer uses $99 toner cartridges that
print about 3,500 pages each.

The Personal LaserWriter NT includes 2 Mbytes of RAM, which can be
upgraded to 8 Mbytes, and 1.25 Mbytes of ROM loaded with Version 51.8 of
Postscript as well as a subset of the code for the Adobe Type Manager
font scaler. It ships with 35 Adobe typefaces and two IBM PC graphics
Extended Character Set fonts. For use in mixed-platform environments, it
offers Hewlett-Packard LaserJet Plus (PCL 3) and Diablo 630 emulations and
an RS-232C/422C serial interface in addition to its LocalTalk port.

John

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.105032.4577@clark.edu>, pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:
|> Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
|> PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
|> printing!
Wrong on both counts. Apple Personal LaserWriter IISC (not the NT - maybe
it's Apple's fault for using such similar names) is the QuickDraw printer,
and QuickDraw is _not_ a PostScript clone. The Personal IINT is a low-end
PostScript printer.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

David.Pipgras@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (David Pipgras) (12/29/90)

Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
printing!

Dave
          "pIch vIghajbe'" -- Worf, Star Trek - The Next Generation

UUCP: .. !crash!pro-freedom!pip
ARPA: crash!pro-freedom!pip@nosc.mil
INET: pip@pro-freedom.cts.com

--
David Pipgras - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!David.Pipgras

Jon.W{tte@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jon W{tte) (12/29/90)

In article <> pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

>Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
>PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
>printing!

This is, of course, false as water (uh... doesn't translate into
English, does it ?)

I use a Personal LaserWriter IInt for my work, and I assure you; the
output I get from FreeHand files and PageMaker documents and... are
very much PostScript-like. Besides, it says "PostScript" right on the
startup page, if you've bothered to look.

The Personal LaserWriter IIsc, though, is not PostScript. But it's much
cheaper, on the other hand :-)

                                                                H+
--

Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

--
Jon W{tte - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Jon.W{tte

L..Maurice.Riggins@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (L. Maurice Riggins) (12/29/90)

In article <1990Dec28.105032.4577@clark.edu> pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David
Pipgras) writes:
IIn-Reply-To: message from gandhi@pender.ee.upenn.edu
IWell, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
IPostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
Iprinting!
IDave

Get your facts straight, Dave.  The Personal LaserWriter II NT IS a Postscript
printer and it runs off AppleTalk just like previous LaserWriters.

It's the Personal LaserWriter II SC (the one that connects to the SCSI port)
that uses QuickDraw.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

--
L. Maurice Riggins - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!L..Maurice.Riggins

james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett) (12/29/90)

The Personal LaserWriter NT IS a PostScript printer!
The Personal LaserWriter SC is a quickdraw printer.

QuickDraw is NOT a PostScript clone, QuickDraw is what the Mac uses to create
its screen images. It doesn't support anything as complecated as PS. Right now
there are several printers on the market that use QuickDraw. These printers have
limitations.  You can't rotate or scale fonts as in PS.  Fewer fonts are usually
available for these printers.  (If you use a 300 dpi QuickDraw printer you need
very large font sizes or something like ATM, to get good fonts)

I'm sorry, but I've seen the message about the NT a few times already,
and I felt that someone really needed to comment on it.

				james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

John.Starta@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Starta) (12/29/90)

From: starta@tosh.UUCP

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes:

> Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is *NOT* a
> PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript clone) to do the
> printing!

Wrong. The Personal LaserWriter NT is a networkable Postscript printer
based on Canon's LBP-LX print engine, which has a duty cycle rated at
150,000 pages, or half that of the LaserWriter IIs but 50 percent more
than the original LaserWriter. The printer uses $99 toner cartridges that
print about 3,500 pages each.

The Personal LaserWriter NT includes 2 Mbytes of RAM, which can be
upgraded to 8 Mbytes, and 1.25 Mbytes of ROM loaded with Version 51.8 of
Postscript as well as a subset of the code for the Adobe Type Manager
font scaler. It ships with 35 Adobe typefaces and two IBM PC graphics
Extended Character Set fonts. For use in mixed-platform environments, it
offers Hewlett-Packard LaserJet Plus (PCL 3) and Diablo 630 emulations and
an RS-232C/422C serial interface in addition to its LocalTalk port.

John

--
John Starta - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!John.Starta

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/31/90)

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes in a message on 28 Dec 90:

DP> Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is
DP> *NOT* a PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript
DP> clone) to do the printing!

bzzzzzzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Just like the LaserWriter IINT, which is PostScript
and networkable, the Personal LaserWriter NT is PostScript and networkable.

It's the Personal Laserwriter SC which, like the discontinued LaserWriter IISC,
uses the SCSI port and is not networkable--and is NOT PostScript, but rather
QuickDraw.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (12/31/90)

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) writes in a message on 28 Dec 90:

DP> Well, some info on the Apple Personal LaserWriter IInt - It is
DP> *NOT* a PostScript printer! It uses Apple's QuickDraw (a postscript
DP> clone) to do the printing!

bzzzzzzzzt.  Wrong answer.  Just like the LaserWriter IINT, which is PostScript
and networkable, the Personal LaserWriter NT is PostScript and networkable.

It's the Personal Laserwriter SC which, like the discontinued LaserWriter IISC,
uses the SCSI port and is not networkable--and is NOT PostScript, but rather
QuickDraw.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!200.2!Adam.Frix

pip@pro-freedom.cts.com (David Pipgras) (01/01/91)

Ok, ya all, I will post that I am sorry, I got the LaserWriter Nt and SC mixed
up. I apologize. Easy Error..... Flames to the bit bucket....et all