[comp.sys.mac.misc] Remember the Magic digitizer?

smz@tove.cs.umd.edu (Zakar) (12/26/90)

     I have an old Magic digitizer that works fine on my Mac512KE.  The
software (apparently) converts a 768x480 8-bit grayscale image to a B & W
patterned image that fits on the screen.  It seems to me that if I knew
the handshaking that goes on between the Mac and the digitizer, I could
hook it to a MacII, write some code, and display it in true 8-bit grayscale.
My question(s):  Has anyone tried this?  If not, does anyone know what the
handshaking looks like?  If not, does anyone know of a disassembler that
outputs to a file so I can reverse engineer the information?

Joe Zakar
using smz@tove.cs.umd.edu

berger@iboga (Mike Berger) (01/03/91)

smz@tove.cs.umd.edu (Zakar) writes:

>     I have an old Magic digitizer that works fine on my Mac512KE.  The
>software (apparently) converts a 768x480 8-bit grayscale image to a B & W
>patterned image that fits on the screen.  It seems to me that if I knew
>the handshaking that goes on between the Mac and the digitizer, I could
>hook it to a MacII, write some code, and display it in true 8-bit grayscale.
>My question(s):  Has anyone tried this?  If not, does anyone know what the
>handshaking looks like?  If not, does anyone know of a disassembler that
>outputs to a file so I can reverse engineer the information?

*----
I don't know if the manufacturer is still in business, but at one time
they offered the source code for reading digitizer output for $ 25.
--
	Mike Berger
	Department of Statistics, University of Illinois