[comp.sys.mac.misc] De-griming a Mac -- any advice?

derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) (01/04/91)

We have a Mac here in New York City which consequently gets a LOT of soot
and grime from handling and the atmosphere.  This has proved difficult to
get off, using both water and cloth, and several commercial cleaning pads
designed for computers.  The keyboard and monitor are both a mottled dark
grey shade now.  Does anyone have any advice for techniques to clean the
Mac, lists of products available, things like that?  If this has been
answered before, does anyone know where I can find a summary of the
solutions?

Since I'm not going to be able to check news again before it expires at my
site, please e-mail answers to me, and I'll post a summary to the net in a
few weeks.

			Thanks!

						Derek L.
--
+ + "When nothing else remains, one must scream.  Silence is the ultimate  + +
+        crime against humanity." -- Nadezhda Mandelstam		     +

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (01/04/91)

In article <1991Jan3.193711.18147@sarah.albany.edu> derek@leah.albany.edu (Cinderella Man) writes:

>We have a Mac here in New York City which consequently gets a LOT of soot
>and grime from handling and the atmosphere.  This has proved difficult to
>get off, using both water and cloth, and several commercial cleaning pads
>designed for computers.  The keyboard and monitor are both a mottled dark
>grey shade now.  Does anyone have any advice for techniques to clean the
>Mac, lists of products available, things like that?  If this has been
>answered before, does anyone know where I can find a summary of the
>solutions?

Windex or any other glass cleaner works fine for me.  Just don't use
Fantastik or Formula 409 on the picture tube as it can pit the glass
if you don't get it all off.  Otherwise, those work great on the plastic
surfaces.

>Since I'm not going to be able to check news again before it expires at my
>site, please e-mail answers to me, and I'll post a summary to the net in a
>few weeks.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |