[comp.sys.mac.misc] Classic crashes under 6.07

ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) (12/23/90)

SuperLaserSpool, ATM

A novice Mac-using friend has bought a Classic with 4 MB RAM, 50 MB
Microtech Europa internal drive.  Running System 6.07, SuperLaserSpool
2.02, Pyro! 4.0, ATM 2.0.  She's getting repeated bomb boxes under
UniFinder, usually when quitting Microsoft Word 4.0, but sometimes
also  during a session using Word.  Bomb messages have included
"address  error," "bus error," and "stack clashed with heap."  I've
advised her to  run under MultiFinder because I know SuperLaserSpool
sometimes has  problems under UniFinder.  Other than that, I don't
know.  Any known  problems with 6.07 and the configuration I've
described?  Thanks.

    _____________________ Ralph Lombreglia ____________________
    Internet: ralph@world.std.com * MCI Mail & Bix: rlombreglia

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) (01/03/91)

In article <1990Dec22.183016.21855@world.std.com> ralph@world.std.com (Ralph Lombreglia) writes:
>SuperLaserSpool, ATM
>
>A novice Mac-using friend has bought a Classic with 4 MB RAM, 50 MB
>Microtech Europa internal drive.  Running System 6.07, SuperLaserSpool
>2.02, Pyro! 4.0, ATM 2.0.  She's getting repeated bomb boxes under
>UniFinder, usually when quitting Microsoft Word 4.0, but sometimes
>also  during a session using Word.  Bomb messages have included
>"address  error," "bus error," and "stack clashed with heap."  I've
>advised her to  run under MultiFinder because I know SuperLaserSpool
>sometimes has  problems under UniFinder.  Other than that, I don't
>know.  Any known  problems with 6.07 and the configuration I've
>described?  Thanks.
>
>    _____________________ Ralph Lombreglia ____________________
>    Internet: ralph@world.std.com * MCI Mail & Bix: rlombreglia
>    ___________________________________________________________

if i were you, i would not use SLS 2.02.  if you have 4mb, you might as
aewll use the spooler that comes with the system.  Print Monitor and
Backgrounder are quite stable.  SLS 2.02, on the other hand, may not
have been written to support the 512k ROMs and/or the Classic.

hope this helps,

daniel

-----
Daniel Carr
"I'm from North Carolina and I DON'T support Sen. Jesse Helms" --on a bumper
daniel@cc.ncsu.edu	dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu      daniel@ncsuvm.BITNET

amadeus@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Christoper Helget) (01/03/91)

Because both ATM and SuperLaserSpool take up large chunks of the system heap
the system is probably running out of its allocated memory space, even though
you probably have plenty of free memory left.  I suggest using HeapFixer or
HeapTools to set the System heap to a larger size.  You can check the System
memory size under About Finder.  Usually, the memory size bar takes up almost
the entire heap.  HeapFixer recommends having 1/4 to 1/3 free space in your
system heap under MultiFinder.

If this does not help I would try fiddling with ATM's font cache or the Ram
cache.  Also check if the problem persists without SuperLaserSpool installed.

Chris
Amadeus@pnet51.orb.mn.org

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, uunet!rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!amadeus
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!amadeus@nosc.mil
INET: amadeus@pnet51.orb.mn.org

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (01/05/91)

dcc@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Daniel Carr) writes:
>if i were you, i would not use SLS 2.02.  if you have 4mb, you might as
>aewll use the spooler that comes with the system.  Print Monitor and
>Backgrounder are quite stable.

But they don't support anything other than a Laser Printer.  Those of
using ImageWriters and Deskwriters are stuck with SLS.

--
Geoff Allen          \  Usenet is distributed network anarchy at its best---
uunet!pmafire!geoff   \   or worst, depending on what is posted on any