[comp.sys.mac.misc] jumpy mouse pointer

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/02/91)

In article <14264@june.cs.washington.edu>, tmccabe@cs.washington.edu (Tom McCabe) writes:
> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
> horizontally when I move it.  I've cleaned the rollers inside, changed
> the mouse pad I use, checked for viruses, and can't think of any
> changes to the inits I use.  Anybody seen anything like this that can
> explain it to me?  Any ideas about what else to look at?
>
> More details:  When I move the mouse around at moderate or high speeds,
> everything works fine.  But when I slow down the pointer will
> occasioanlly jump anywhere from 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch as I move
> left and right.  The pointer never jumps vertically.  The problem is
> most noticable when I try to make fine motions such as selecting a
> single letter in a word processor, trying to click on the close, zoom,
> or resize boxes of a window, or in drawing programs.  It seems like
> sometimes the jump occurs when the mouse is not even moving, but just
> after I've move it a very small amount horizontally at slow speeds.

I am having exactly the same type of problem.
It is only happening on my new mouse which came with a IIfx.
It has the little flip open hole instead of the old twist type.
It also has the long thin rollers inside along the ball.
I think something is wrong with the way the ball is seating on these
rollers (the long ones) but I can not figure it out. It seems that
cleaning the rollers helps, but the problem returns almost immediately
(within minutes)!

I suspect that there is something inherently wrong with the design
of the new mouse but I have absolutely no evidence other than the
fact that my older mice (3) have not shown this problem. I should
also note that my environment is not sterile, so the rollers do get
dirty on a regular basis.

tim.

tmccabe@cs.washington.edu (Tom McCabe) (01/02/91)

[...]

System configuration:
IIci, 5Meg, Internal 40Mb drive, Apple Portrait display, regular
keyboard, no nubus cards.
System 6.0.5 with system heap enlarged, Multifinder and a few inits
that have worked fine for months.

Tom McCabe
tmccabe@cs.washington.edu

kempkec@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Christopher Kempke) (01/02/91)

In article <1CE00001.s7wwnx@tbomb.ice.com> time@tbomb.ice.com writes:

>In article <14264@june.cs.washington.edu>, tmccabe@cs.washington.edu (Tom McCabe) writes:
>> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
>> horizontally when I move it.  I've cleaned the rollers inside, changed

       [description of attempted fixes deleted...]

>I am having exactly the same type of problem.
>It is only happening on my new mouse which came with a IIfx.

       [more description of problem deleted]

I had a similar problem with a mouse on a IIcx.  No problem, it was under
warrantee, so I took it in and had the mouse replaced.   The new mouse
was of a slightly different (older, I think) design from dealer stock.   It
too began exhibiting symptoms of "jumpiness".   Cleaning helps only for a
few minutes, in fact, merely removing the ball and replacing it seems to help
for a few minutes.   I finally solved the problem by buying a "Little Mouse"
(optical jobbie) from a mail-order place.  That mouse has only been around
for a month or so, but so far no problems.

However, I've seen this mentioned on the net before, about three months ago.
There were a half-dozen or so complaints of the same problem, all with
cx's I believe (though this was before the ci price cuts).   I can't help
thinking maybe there's a real problem out there hiding somewhere in Apple's
mice, system software, or ADB hardware.   How many others are having this
problem?

	--Chris  (kempkec@mist.cs.orst.edu)

derosa@motcid.UUCP (John DeRosa) (01/03/91)

>In article <14264@june.cs.washington.edu>, tmccabe@cs.washington.edu (Tom McCabe) writes:
>> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
>> horizontally when I move it.  I've cleaned the rollers inside, changed

I know of 5-6 cases of this on mice that came with IIci's in our
company about 5-6 months ago.

The s/n of my offending mouse is AP022878C25.  I was told by
an Apple certified tech that this is a know problem, that it
only happens to the horizontal axis and has to do with
some bad pots.  It is covered under warranty.

Anyone else have the problem?
--
=       John DeRosa, Motorola, Inc, Cellular Infrastructure Group          =
= e-mail:    ...uunet!motcid!derosaj, motcid!derosaj@uunet.uu.net          =

dan@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Dan Pleasant) (01/04/91)

In comp.sys.mac.misc, kempkec@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Christopher Kempke) writes:

>    In article <1CE00001.s7wwnx@tbomb.ice.com> time@tbomb.ice.com writes:
>    >
>    >In article <14264@june.cs.washington.edu>, tmccabe@cs.washington.edu (Tom McCabe) writes:
>    >> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
>    >> horizontally when I move it.  I've cleaned the rollers inside, changed
>
>           [description of attempted fixes deleted...]
>    >
>    >I am having exactly the same type of problem.
>    >It is only happening on my new mouse which came with a IIfx.
>
>           [more description of problem deleted]

>    However, I've seen this mentioned on the net before, about three months ago.
>    There were a half-dozen or so complaints of the same problem, all with
>    cx's I believe (though this was before the ci price cuts).   I can't help
>    thinking maybe there's a real problem out there hiding somewhere in Apple's
>    mice, system software, or ADB hardware.   How many others are having this
>    problem?
>
>    	--Chris  (kempkec@mist.cs.orst.edu)

I am!  I first noticed it on my IIfx about a month ago.  It's annoying
as hell.  If you take out the mouse ball and move the roller with your
finger everything works smoothly, but in normal operation the mouse
keeps jumping around all the time.  If anyone has a fix, I'd sure
love to hear about it.

Dan Pleasant

[Standard Disclaimer Goes Here}

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (01/04/91)

In article <10250005@hpnmdla.HP.COM> dan@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Dan Pleasant) writes:
>In comp.sys.mac.misc, kempkec@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Christopher Kempke) writes:
>
>>    In article <1CE00001.s7wwnx@tbomb.ice.com> time@tbomb.ice.com writes:
>>    >
>>    >In article <14264@june.cs.washington.edu>, tmccabe@cs.washington.edu
(Tom McCabe) writes:
>>    >> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
>>    >> horizontally when I move it.  I've cleaned the rollers inside, changed
>>
>>           [description of attempted fixes deleted...]
>>    >
>>    >I am having exactly the same type of problem.
>>    >It is only happening on my new mouse which came with a IIfx.
>>
>>           [more description of problem deleted]

>>    However, I've seen this mentioned on the net before, about three months
ago.
>>    There were a half-dozen or so complaints of the same problem, all with
>>    cx's I believe (though this was before the ci price cuts).   I can't help
>>    thinking maybe there's a real problem out there hiding somewhere in
Apple's
>>    mice, system software, or ADB hardware.   How many others are having this
>>    problem?
>>
>>       --Chris  (kempkec@mist.cs.orst.edu)
>>

>I am!  I first noticed it on my IIfx about a month ago.  It's annoying
>as hell.  If you take out the mouse ball and move the roller with your
>finger everything works smoothly, but in normal operation the mouse
>keeps jumping around all the time.  If anyone has a fix, I'd sure
>love to hear about it.
>
>Dan Pleasant
>
>[Standard Disclaimer Goes Here}

I have the problem too - but I am having on a IIci. Actually
I think that the comment earlier about the logic board
being the thing that is going south may be right. Last night,
I left my mac on, and the heat in my office went almost off.
This morning my office was about 60 deg. Still in operating
range supposedly, but my mouse then acted really fried. I could
not get it to move right hardly at all.

I recently started using Maxima - a product that lets the MAC see
more than 8Meg of memory (while i wait on 7.0...:-(  ). That
about dates the time that I started having this mouse problem.
This is a shot in the dark... but anyone else have BOTH mouse
trouble AND use Maxima?

	---jon---

CAH0@bunny.gte.com (Chuck Hoffman) (01/05/91)

McCabe) writes:
> My mouse pointer recently started making small, unexpected jumps
> horizontally when I move it.

I had the same problem, and posted to this net about it.  There are at
least *four* different designs of mouse.  The one with my IIcx failed at
about 6 months.  I got lots of advice about cleaning, etc., and brought it
to an authorized Mac dealer.  The dealer *did not mention* to me that it
was on warantee, and tried to sell me a new one (over $100), saying I
could get something for the the old one in trade (right, the dealer would
have just sent the old one back in to Apple for a freebie new one for
himself).  The solution was that another authorized dealer took the old
one from me and replaced it with a new one of a different design.  No
problems.

I just got a IIsi, and, sigh, its mouse is of the design of the one that
failed on my IIcx.  Now, at least, I will know which dealer to go to.
-Chuck

- Chuck Hoffman, GTE Laboratories, Inc.  |  I'm not sure why we're here,
cah0@bunny.gte.com                       |  but I am sure that while we're
Telephone (U.S.A.) 617-466-2131          |  here, we're supposed to help
GTE VoiceNet: 679-2131                   |  each other.
GTE Telemail: C.HOFFMAN                  |