[comp.sys.mac.misc] Compactor

tjb@unhd.UNH.EDU (Thomas J. Baker) (09/05/90)

Where can Compactor be obtained?  Thanks for any information.

Thomas J. Baker                              USENET: uunet!unhd!tjb
Computing and Information Services           BITNET: T_BAKER@UNHH.BITNET
Kingsbury Hall, University of New Hampshire  Future: tjb@unhd.unh.edu
Durham, NH 03824                             Voice: (603) 862-4490

                "But I'm well read and I've heard it said
                 a hundred times, maybe less, maybe more..."

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.122752@unhd.UNH.EDU> tjb@unhd.UNH.EDU (Thomas J. Baker) writes:
>Where can Compactor be obtained?  Thanks for any information.

You can find it for example from nic.funet.fi (128.214.6.100). It is
in pub/mac/arcers dir.

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ================================
| P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland  (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465) |

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (09/09/90)

I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
"Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu), and there seems to be no
option to binhex/unbinhex files.  (Heh, uuencode and uudecode might be
nice too.)

I did notice that, unlike StuffIt, Compactor is a good MultiFinder
citizen.

--
Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
                                            H:(617) 776-6899  W:(617) 426-3577

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/09/90)

In article <1521@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:

>I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
>seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
>"Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu), and there seems to be no
>option to binhex/unbinhex files.  (Heh, uuencode and uudecode might be
>nice too.)

But there is one nice thing that Compactor does that StuffIt doesn't.
That is, when the floppy disk you are archiving to gets full, Compactor
stops and lets you insert another disk and create another segment, you
don't have to split the archive up yourself like you do with StuffIt.
From those segments, Compactor allows you to do any function on the
segments, including individual extractions without having to resegment
the archive like you would have to with StuffIt.

There have been several complaints about no binhex features in Compactor,
maybe we'll see it in the next version?   I don't miss it all that much
anyways, as Binhex 4.0 was faster at it than StuffIT was so I prefered
to use the two seperate programs when unstuffing.

>I did notice that, unlike StuffIt, Compactor is a good MultiFinder
>citizen.

You got that right!

Charles

Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org (Chris Gehlker) (09/10/90)

In message <1521@camex.COM>, kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:

> I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
> seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
> "Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu), and there seems to be no
> option to binhex/unbinhex files.

Compactor will automatically split a large file into smaller chunks if it won't
fit into the available space on floppys.  You're right about the binhex though.

--
Uucp: ...{gatech,ames,rutgers}!ncar!asuvax!stjhmc!56.12!Chris.Gehlker
Internet: Chris.Gehlker@p12.f56.n114.z1.fidonet.org

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (09/11/90)

In article <1521@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:

>I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
>seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
>"Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu), and there seems to be no

There's a way, I read it in the docs. If you output archive media runs
out of space, you'll be prompted to insert another media (floppy).

>option to binhex/unbinhex files.  (Heh, uuencode and uudecode might be
>nice too.)

Correct, but I know Bill Goodman mentioned he received source code
for binhex/unbinhex on GEnie. I assume this implies he is looking
into this.

>I did notice that, unlike StuffIt, Compactor is a good MultiFinder
>citizen.

Yes! Definately yes!

>Kent Borg                            internet: kent@camex.com   AOL: kent borg
Jim Budler          jimb@silvlis.com       +1.408.991.6061
Silvar-Lisco, Inc. 703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.205758.7075@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
>>option to binhex/unbinhex files.  (Heh, uuencode and uudecode might be
>>nice too.)
>
>Correct, but I know Bill Goodman mentioned he received source code
>for binhex/unbinhex on GEnie. I assume this implies he is looking
>into this.

I find the ability for Compactor to process binhexed files a
non-issue.  I tend to use mcvert on our UNIX machines to convert
a .hqx file into a MacBinary file, then download it.  Why
download a file that's larger than it needs to be?  Binhex is not
as efficient as atob/btoa, so if anything we should switch--oh,
no, not another use such-and-such subject again :-)--to
atob/btoa.

Just a thought.

Ken
  Kenneth K.F. Lui        |   Other paths you can use: tempest@csuchico,
  tempest@csuchico.edu    |   tempest@{cscihp|walleye}.csuchico.edu
__________________________|__________________________________________________

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (09/16/90)

In article <1521@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:
>I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
>seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
>"Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu)

"Save As" allows saving of one large file into smaller chunks.

>and there seems to be no option to binhex/unbinhex files.

I understand that the author is working on this.
--
	Roger L. Long
	bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com

kent@circus.camex.com (Kent Borg) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep10.205758.7075@silvlis.com> jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes:
->In article <1521@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:
->>
->>I have looked at Compactor but can't find two crucial features: there
->>seems to be no way to spit a large file into smaller chunks (like the
->>"Segment" item in StuffIt's "Other" menu), and there seems to be no
->
->There's a way, I read it in the docs. If you output archive media runs
->out of space, you'll be prompted to insert another media (floppy).

Compactor is being too smart.  I want a dumber way to do it.  What if
the "output archive media" is a uucp mailer that barfs on files that
are too big?  Does one need to create a set of SilverLining partitions
of mailer-limit size?

I guess this isn't quite so important until Compactor can binhex or
uuencode, but it will be important then.

(Please forgive the "->"s above.  I usually approve of facist mailers,
but I don't see how I can further shorten the quote without being
unclear.  I guess one option would be to lengthen my message, say,
with a long parenthetic remark, but that would be too cheap.)

draphsor@portia.Stanford.EDU (Matt Rollefson) (09/22/90)

In article <1530@camex.COM> kent@camex.com (Kent Borg) writes:
>Compactor is being too smart.  I want a dumber way to do it.  What if
>the "output archive media" is a uucp mailer that barfs on files that
>are too big?  Does one need to create a set of SilverLining partitions
>of mailer-limit size?

The problem here is that what you want to do is segment a file (it could
be any file, not necessarily a compactor file) for transmission.  That
is, you want a segmenting utility.  Stuffit came with one built in.  (It
can segment any file, not just a stuffit archive.)  Similarly, stuffit
had binhex conversion available.  But just because it isn't built in
doesn't mean you can't use it.  Binhex 4.0 is still free, as far as I
know (and faster than stuffit's implementation), and there are lots of
segmenting utilities out there.  I'm not sure, but I'd bet that some of
them are also free.  With Multifinder available, having everything in
the same application isn't really a necessity.

>I guess this isn't quite so important until Compactor can binhex or
>uuencode, but it will be important then.

Basically, you'll have to decide if the convenience of having the
utilities available from within the application outweighs the better
compression you get with compactor.  Personally, I have nothing against
binhex 4.0.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (09/28/90)

What is the consesu on this program?  I tried it for the first
time today and it DOES work as advertised.  Archives were
20-30% smaller than Stuffit 1.5.1 archives.  Also, the little
utility to convert from Stuffit to Compactor format worked
nicely.  However, I don't think I'll switch to this format until
it gets greater acceptance.  How well is it being accepted on
CI$ and GEnie?

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |

dlt@csunb.csun.edu (David Thompson) (01/05/91)

WRT Compactor.  Is this program available via ftp?  Can someone tell
me where I can get it?

Thanks,

--
David Thompson                          internet:  dlt@csunb.csun.edu