[comp.sys.mac.misc] Experience with Jasmine portable drive?

bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) (01/05/91)

	A friend wants an inexpensive hard drive for a MacPlus.  What
do you think about the Jasmine portable 40MB advertised for $299?

	Thanks.

-Bruce

	Bruce Cohen                    |  UUCP:     ..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!bic
	Computer Graphics Lab, S-926   |  INTERNET: bic@cgl.ucsf.edu
	University of California       |  BITNET:   bic@ucsfcgl
	San Francisco, CA  94143-0446  |  VOICE:    (415) 476-8291

brisbin@peyote.cactus.org (Shelly Brisbin) (01/05/91)

In article <16857@cgl.ucsf.EDU>, bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:

> 	A friend wants an inexpensive hard drive for a MacPlus.  What
> do you think about the Jasmine portable 40MB advertised for $299?
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> -Bruc

xMy only experience with this drive is that a friend of mine who ordered one
has been waiting several weeks (two months) actually) for hers to arrive. She
tells me that in making queries similar to yours, she has found noone who has
actually received one of these drives, but that the ads continue to appear in
the Mac mags.
Shelly Brisbin
Leopard Communication
brisbin@peyote.cactus.org

costello@stx.UUCP (Michael E. Costello) (01/06/91)

In article <16857@cgl.ucsf.EDU>, bic@cgl.ucsf.edu (Bruce Cohen) writes:

> 	A friend wants an inexpensive hard drive for a MacPlus.  What
> do you think about the Jasmine portable 40MB advertised for $299?

I'd be cautious.  The mechanism inside is by Kalok, which doesn't have a
lot of experience in Mac applications.

Also, it doesn't have a power supply, so you have to plug it into a Mac
with an external disk drive port (i.e.--not a II or IIx) or buy an external
power supply.

==>MC/BCS*Mac          costello@world.std.com
==>617-631-8188