Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 12:10:35 EST
From: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin)
Subject: Q&D benchmarks for shareware compression utilities

I was curious about the relative performance of the shareware
compression utilities currently available, so I decided to benchmark them.
Listed below are times and % compressions for Stuffit 1.5.1, Stuffit
Deluxe, and Compactor.  For Stuffit 1.5.1, I only used LZW encoding because
Huffman is almost never smaller and trying it slows stuff down.  For
Stuffit Classic, I tried both Fast and Better.  With Compactor I just used
the defaults.  Tests were run on a Mac II with 8MB running multifinder with
NCSA 2.3.2 (w/ BYU) open in the background (its window was shrunk and I
just let it sit there quiescent).  In each test, I compressed FrameMaker a
726,971 byte application and Clip Art a 13 item folder containing 627,831
bytes of data.  All times are in seconds and 1:35 means (obviously -:) ) 1
minute and 35 seconds.

CONCLUSIONS:
     Stuff which is going to be posted to archives should be in compactor
form since the compression rate to uncompress time ratio is so much better.
For personal use, use 1.5.1 for speed, or compactor if size is important.
Unless you need some of the more obscure features of Classic, trash it.

Program	       	    	      Compress	     	       Uncompress
     File      	    	 Time 	   Saved     	       Time
Classic - Fast Mode
     FrameMaker     	 52  	   46%	     	       45
     ClipArt   	    	 1:35	   27%	     	       1:01
1.5.1 - LZW Only
     FrameMaker	    	 43   	   44%	     	       39
     ClipArt   	    	 1:05 	   23%	     	       52
Compactor 1.21
     FrameMaker	    	 1:40 	   59%	     	       40
     ClipArt   	    	 2:00 	   47%	     	       57
Classic - Better Mode
     FrameMaker	    	 7:00 	   59%	     	       1:12
     ClipArt   - didn't bother since compressing framemaker took so long
DOMAIN: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu                     MIT Artificial Intelligence Lab
USMAIL: Steven Chanin, 545 Technology Square Rm. 827, Cambridge Ma 02139
PHONE : (617) 253-8963

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (12/28/90)

In article <SBCHANIN.90Dec27174738@fiber-one.ai.mit.edu> sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:

 > with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor
 > is a $25 shareware copmression program which can produce
 > self-extracting archives if you want it.  Its performance
 > characteristics (better compression, comparable uncompress time) make
 > it a much better choice for network transferred software.  The
 > following is an article I posted to info-mac which compares Compactor
 > to Stuffit and Stuffit Classic.  By the way, I have no connection with
 > any of the individuals/companies responsible for these products.

I disagree.  For some reasons I still use a fairly old system (4.1 I believe)
and compactor refuses to work with systems before 6.0.2.  But also do not
use Stuffit DeLuxe, because not all archives compressed and stuffed by
Stuffit DeLuxe can be decompressed and unstuffed by UnStuffit DeLuxe.  (For
an example see in the sumex-aim archives game/atc-4.0 etc.)  So my advise:
use Stuffit 1.5.1 for which also non-Mac utilities are available to do
unstuffing.  (Why would you not want to unstuff on your Mac you might ask.
There are a number of reasons:
1.  I do not have a hard disk, and considering the prices of hard disks in
    the Netherlands, it is not likely I will have one in the very near
    future.
2.  Just now there are questions in the ibm-pc groups about programs to do
    unstuffing.  They want to use the Mac sound files on their pc; a
    perfectly valid request; but they do not have access to a Mac.
3.  I want to look at the stuff before I download.
etc.)

[Obl joke: ever tried to unstuff a 600k archive on a single drive Mac?
Who was more patient?  You, the Mac or Unstuffit?  Yes, it means swapping
disks over 1000 times.]

Btw, I have seen compactor working and it looks great.  What it is missing
(and all packing/compacting programs are missing it) is a dual progress bar.
All programs display their progress either in size of the original or in
size of the compacted stuff.  What I would like to see is a two bars (with
the same scale), one displaying original size, one displaying compacted size.
dik@cwi.nl

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (12/28/90)

In article <SBCHANIN.90Dec27174738@fiber-one.ai.mit.edu>
           sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:
> with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor
> is a $25 shareware copmression program which can produce
> self-extracting archives if you want it.  Its performance

As one of the people who had problems with the Stuffit deluxe installation
program, I say hogwash.  Stuffit is fine.  I've had guys beating me over
the head about how great Compactor is, and when I saw it in action I saw
no reason to bother with it.  If I didn't own Stuffit (in any form) then I
might (maybe) have gone for Compactor, as it did seem faster.  But as a
registered user of Stuffit 1.5.1 you should get Stuffit 1.6 for free, in
which case I certainly don't see any reason to spend $25 on some other
program.

Many many people already have stuffit, and for network-transfered software
I'd think that would be much more important then whether people save 30
seconds decompressing a 700 megabyte file.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/28/90)

In article <SBCHANIN.90Dec27174738@fiber-one.ai.mit.edu>
"Steve Chanin" writes...

>with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.

[Q&D benchmarks for shareware compression utilities deleted.]

I disagree.  I wrote some of the articles that complained about the
StuffIt Deluxe installer;  but I have nothing but praise for the
features and performance of the application.  The overall structure of the
new StuffIts is more robust and forward-looking than that of Compactor.

I see Compactor as perhaps the last in a series of stand-alone, inextensible,
file compression applications that support only proprietary file formats.
StuffIt Deluxe, on the other hand, represents the first of the next
generation.  It provides for direct hooks to the Finder and White Knight
(And indirect access for HyperCard and Microphone through XCMDs that use
the StuffIt engine).  This allows compression/decompression to be done
from within the Finder or other applications.

If archive size, speed, and price were the only important features of
for a file compression tool, then MacCompress by Lloyd Chambers would be
the hands down winner.  It's fast, efficient,and FREE -- and handles unix
compression to boot.  What's makes StuffIt well worth the few extra $$ ?

While Compactor users are still clamoring for elementary features
such as BinHex'ing, which StuffIt has handled in a very robust fashion
for years, Aladdin has been working on tools that take file compression
to a new level of integration with other computing tasks.

Here are some of the new features offered by StuffIt Deluxe:

All of these new features are implemented as modules that users
can install optionally.  The whole package is large, but the user doesn't
have to install features he or she doesn't need.  The modular structure
allows for convenient feature additions, customization, and continued
evolution of the product.

It allows the user to view and "clip" archived text and pict
files -- you can realistically leave clip art and text files stuffed
and easily make use of them.  This is better than a Disk-Doubler-type
feature, because the user doesn't need to uncompress an entire archive
in order to open a file and do a quick copy and paste.

It offers optimized compression for particular file types such as
sound and image files.

It integrates directly with Mac-based e-mail packages such as Quickmail
and Microsoft Mail.

It also allows sophisticated scripting with wildcards that lets the
user automate repetitive and boring tasks.  It supports modular extensions
for 'other' file compression schemes such as .arc, .zip, in addition
to the out-moded 'packit' format.  New file compression schemes can
be handled by simply dropping a new extension module into the Extensions
folder.

As far as speed is concerned, Deluxe 2.0 is said to be much faster than 1.0;
the free upgrade to registered users is begins shipping this week.

The bottom line is that users will be able to create sophisticated,
integrated file management environments that can be tailored directly
to the task at hand.  Lots of flavors, not just Vanilla.  The Compactor
format, when Goodman gets around to making it available, will simply
be dealt with as a format extension file.

There is more to the new StuffIts than meets the eye -- I don't want
to discourage anyone from paying shareware fees to Bill Goodman,
but sooner or later, you'll own StuffIt.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

vladimir@prosper.EBB.Eng.Sun.COM (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (12/28/90)

On the contrary, *DO* post using StuffIt!  Then I can use DiskDoubler to
unpack. :-) :-) :-) <many more...> :-)

DiskDoubler is fast and nearly bullet-proof.  I can't ask for more.

-- Vladimir
   Vladimir G. Ivanovic				Sun Microsystems, Inc
     (415) 336-2315				2550 Garcia Ave., MTV12-33
    vladimir@Sun.COM				Mountain View, CA 94043-1100

      Disclaimer: I speak only for myself.  Your mileage will vary.

Steve.Chanin@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Steve Chanin) (12/28/90)

with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor
is a $25 shareware copmression program which can produce
self-extracting archives if you want it.  Its performance
characteristics (better compression, comparable uncompress time) make
it a much better choice for network transferred software.  The
following is an article I posted to info-mac which compares Compactor
to Stuffit and Stuffit Classic.  By the way, I have no connection with
any of the individuals/companies responsible for these products.

        Steve

====================================

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 90 12:10:35 EST
From: sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin)

--
Steve Chanin - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Steve.Chanin

Dik.T..Winter@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Dik T. Winter) (12/28/90)

(Steve Chanin) writes:

 > with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor
 > is a $25 shareware copmression program which can produce
 > self-extracting archives if you want it.  Its performance
 > characteristics (better compression, comparable uncompress time) make
 > it a much better choice for network transferred software.  The
 > following is an article I posted to info-mac which compares Compactor
 > to Stuffit and Stuffit Classic.  By the way, I have no connection with
 > any of the individuals/companies responsible for these products.

I disagree.  For some reasons I still use a fairly old system (4.1 I believe)
and compactor refuses to work with systems before 6.0.2.  But also do not
use Stuffit DeLuxe, because not all archives compressed and stuffed by
Stuffit DeLuxe can be decompressed and unstuffed by UnStuffit DeLuxe.  (For
an example see in the sumex-aim archives game/atc-4.0 etc.)  So my advise:
use Stuffit 1.5.1 for which also non-Mac utilities are available to do
unstuffing.  (Why would you not want to unstuff on your Mac you might ask.
There are a number of reasons:
1.  I do not have a hard disk, and considering the prices of hard disks in
    the Netherlands, it is not likely I will have one in the very near
    future.
2.  Just now there are questions in the ibm-pc groups about programs to do
    unstuffing.  They want to use the Mac sound files on their pc; a
    perfectly valid request; but they do not have access to a Mac.
3.  I want to look at the stuff before I download.
etc.)

[Obl joke: ever tried to unstuff a 600k archive on a single drive Mac?
Who was more patient?  You, the Mac or Unstuffit?  Yes, it means swapping
disks over 1000 times.]

Btw, I have seen compactor working and it looks great.  What it is missing
(and all packing/compacting programs are missing it) is a dual progress bar.
All programs display their progress either in size of the original or in
size of the compacted stuff.  What I would like to see is a two bars (with
the same scale), one displaying original size, one displaying compacted size.
dik@cwi.nl

--
Dik T. Winter - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Dik.T..Winter

Garance.Drosehn@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Garance Drosehn) (12/28/90)

In article <SBCHANIN.90Dec27174738@fiber-one.ai.mit.edu>
           sbchanin@ai.mit.edu (Steve Chanin) writes:
> with stuffit, I'd say don't use it.  Use Compactor instead.  Compactor
> is a $25 shareware copmression program which can produce
> self-extracting archives if you want it.  Its performance

As one of the people who had problems with the Stuffit deluxe installation
program, I say hogwash.  Stuffit is fine.  I've had guys beating me over
the head about how great Compactor is, and when I saw it in action I saw
no reason to bother with it.  If I didn't own Stuffit (in any form) then I
might (maybe) have gone for Compactor, as it did seem faster.  But as a
registered user of Stuffit 1.5.1 you should get Stuffit 1.6 for free, in
which case I certainly don't see any reason to spend $25 on some other
program.

Many many people already have stuffit, and for network-transfered software
I'd think that would be much more important then whether people save 30
seconds decompressing a 700 megabyte file.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA

--
Garance Drosehn - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Garance.Drosehn

johnston@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (johnston) (12/28/90)

> [...]

to the out-moded 'packit' format.  New file compression schemes can
be handled by simply dropping a new extension module into the Extensions
folder.

As far as speed is concerned, Deluxe 2.0 is said to be much faster than 1.0;
the free upgrade to registered users is begins shipping this week.

The bottom line is that users will be able to create sophisticated,
integrated file management environments that can be tailored directly
to the task at hand.  Lots of flavors, not just Vanilla.  The Compactor
format, when Goodman gets around to making it available, will simply
be dealt with as a format extension file.

There is more to the new StuffIts than meets the eye -- I don't want
to discourage anyone from paying shareware fees to Bill Goodman,
but sooner or later, you'll own StuffIt.

johnston - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!johnston
INTERNET: johnston@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Vladimir.G..Ivanovic@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (12/28/90)

On the contrary, *DO* post using StuffIt!  Then I can use DiskDoubler to
unpack. :-) :-) :-) <many more...> :-)

DiskDoubler is fast and nearly bullet-proof.  I can't ask for more.

-- Vladimir
   Vladimir G. Ivanovic                         Sun Microsystems, Inc
     (415) 336-2315                             2550 Garcia Ave., MTV12-33
    vladimir@Sun.COM                            Mountain View, CA 94043-1100

      Disclaimer: I speak only for myself.  Your mileage will vary.

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Vladimir.G..Ivanovic

peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) (12/29/90)

	First, let me say that I am a registered user of StuffIt
Deluxe 1.0 and I have also done some beta-testing of SD 1.1 (or
what is actually becoming SD 2.0). Currently, however, I am using
Compactor. Why?? 90% speed, 9% archive size, 1% multifinder
friendliness. My home machine is a mac+ and I just can't afford
to wait for hours (literally) to compress or uncompress a large
archive (like the Apple TN stack).

	However, Compactor has nowhere near the features I need
for archival storage of my HUGE collection of software. In
particular, the viewers, the access to multiple archives with
copying of files between such, the ability to incorporate additional
features - compressors, viewers, and so on - without waiting for a
new version of SD to be released....

	If SD 2.0 is even approximately close to Compactor in
speed and compression ratio, or if I can incorporate the freely
available LZW algorithm used in UN*X compress (and MacCompress)
as another compression method in SD, then I'll run for SD 2 so
fast Compactor won't even see my dust.

	One last note. I am one of the reportedly very few people
who has been seriously impacted by the StuffIt Installer problem!
I would STILL prefer to use StuffIt Deluxe.

	Just my own opinion.
	Peter C

--
      (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)     (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)(O)
      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)

Peter.Colby@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Peter Colby) (12/29/90)

[...]

Peter Colby - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Peter.Colby
INTERNET: Peter.Colby@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG

vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) (12/29/90)

I'd like to jump on the StuffIt bandwagon for one important reason.

I now grab .hqx files off the net and totally unpack them into aufs
files, which is much faster than using StuffIt *OR* Compactor.

If you must post in Compactor format, please don't use Self Extracting
archives.  The same goes for StuffIt, and StuffIt Deluxe.

I expect someone to write Unix tools to unpack StuffIt Deluxe and
Compactor archives, but Unix *does NOT* understand any form of self
extracting archive, and all of the tools to unpack any archive are
available on sumex, at least.

So, post what you want (preferably StuffIt Old), but don't post things
that self extract!

My Mac SE with a 20MB hard disk thanks you.

Vaughan
--
                     VaughAn Turner     Internet: vturner@nmsu.edu
     Networking/Workstation Support     Box 30001, Dept. 3AT

     Home Address: 1115 Larry Drive     Las Cruces, New Mexico 88001-5457

"...the first rule of engineering [is] to work with Earth's natural forces,
never against them."
                                                     "Earth"  by David Brin

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/29/90)

In article <VTURNER.90Dec28185049@wilma.nmsu.EDU>, vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) writes...
>So, post what you want (preferably StuffIt Old), but don't post things
>that self extract!

I agree with the rest of Mr. Turner's comments ... but with respect to this
particular point doubly so.  Self-extracting archives are convenient for
other purposes, when one can be reasonably convinced that the recipient
can handle them appropriately, but there are some drawbacks.

First, the "Self-Extracting Archive" puts the user at the mercy of viri
present in the dearchived file.  Even if virus checking was incorporated
in the 'self-extracting' or 'auto-unstuffing' portion of the archive,
it can only be as 'up-to-date' as is virus knowledge at the time the
archive is created.

StuffIt Classic, (and Deluxe), on the other hand, include virus checking
during dearchiving that can be updated with new versions of the software.
If a self-extracting archive contains a virus unknown at the time of
archiving, it creates an on-going pain in the ass.

It is not my intention to fan the Compactor vs. StuffIt flames -- I think
that self-unstuffers created by StuffIt are equally inappropriate for
net distribution.  I like to have complete control over the dearchiving
process -- .cpt archives do this as well as .sit archives.  Moreover,
Bill Goodman can (and probably should) include virus checking in a new
release of Compactor.

The same topic has gotten alot of net.air.play in the ibm-pc groups,
in which many posters have warned that self-extracting-archives make
for particularly rapid and unwitting spread of viri.

My $0.02 ...

Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (12/30/90)

In article <VTURNER.90Dec28185049@wilma.nmsu.EDU> vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) writes:
>If you must post in Compactor format, please don't use Self Extracting
>archives.  The same goes for StuffIt, and StuffIt Deluxe.
>
>I expect someone to write Unix tools to unpack StuffIt Deluxe and
>Compactor archives, but Unix *does NOT* understand any form of self
>extracting archive, and all of the tools to unpack any archive are
>available on sumex, at least.
>
>So, post what you want (preferably StuffIt Old), but don't post things
>that self extract!
>
>Vaughan

Ummm, why not? The self-extractors I know of can be extracted manually
if desired using the normal archive program.

Anyone writing a Compactor or Stuffit Deluxe extractor for Unix
need only ignore the extra 10-12k application code which is added
to an otherwise normal archive.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

In article <40184@nigel.ee.udel.edu> johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
>In article <VTURNER.90Dec28185049@wilma.nmsu.EDU>, vturner@nmsu.EDU (Vaughan Turner) writes...
>I agree with the rest of Mr. Turner's comments ... but with respect to this
>particular point doubly so.  Self-extracting archives are convenient for
>other purposes, when one can be reasonably convinced that the recipient
>can handle them appropriately, but there are some drawbacks.

They are convienent, and they may have drawbacks, but the one you mention
below can be easily avoided.

>First, the "Self-Extracting Archive" puts the user at the mercy of viri
>present in the dearchived file.  Even if virus checking was incorporated
>in the 'self-extracting' or 'auto-unstuffing' portion of the archive,
>it can only be as 'up-to-date' as is virus knowledge at the time the
>archive is created.

Any archive puts you potentially at the mercy of virus in the archive.
And I think the current (Stuffit Deluxe 1.0) method of virus checking is
inadequate. Why?, cause it's too old. Updates are too infrequent.

>StuffIt Classic, (and Deluxe), on the other hand, include virus checking
>during dearchiving that can be updated with new versions of the software.

Not often enough.

>If a self-extracting archive contains a virus unknown at the time of
>archiving, it creates an on-going pain in the ass.

Then open it with the Archive tool itself, not the self extractor.

>It is not my intention to fan the Compactor vs. StuffIt flames -- I think
>that self-unstuffers created by StuffIt are equally inappropriate for
>net distribution.

This may be true, I have no fully formed opinions on that. But your
reason isn't valid, since the archive program can be used.

Better just to ask if it's  worth the extra 10-12k per archive. I'm
still not sure your right but at least it's a valid arguing point.

>                   I like to have complete control over the dearchiving
>process -- .cpt archives do this as well as .sit archives.

Then use Compactor to dearchive compactor sea archives and Stuffit to
dearchive stuffit self extractors.

>                                                            Moreover,
>Bill Goodman can (and probably should) include virus checking in a new
>release of Compactor.

I'm not sure I agree. Given that I think about 3 new virus have appeared
since Stuffit Deluxe 1.0 came out, I prefer trusting GateKeeper, or
Disinfectant, or SAM.

When (if) the archiver is adaptable, like Virus Detective or SAM II,
or updated as frequently as Disinfectant, I might trust the virus
checking in the archiver.

Meanwhile I have the others, and don't feel the need for it in the archiver
at all.

>The same topic has gotten alot of net.air.play in the ibm-pc groups,
>in which many posters have warned that self-extracting-archives make
>for particularly rapid and unwitting spread of viri.

Are these Orange to Orange comparisons?:

Do the PC'ers self extractors allow for dearchiving with the regular
archive tools?

Do the PC'ers have TSR's (Mac: INITs, UNIX: daemons) which watch for
virus?

>My $0.02 ...
>
>Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)

And now you have mine.

jim
--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud
    /  /  /\/\   /__    Silvar-Lisco, Inc.  +1.408.991.6115    | MacIIsi
/__/  /  /   /  /__/   703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086 |  owner

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec29.195417.20150@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) writes...

I apologize in advance for perpetuating this for those who are bored.
It may be that I feel a tinge of guilt for sparking another round of
StuffIt-bashing by starting the 'Installer from Hell' thread.  These
will be my last words on the subject, I promise!  ;-)

Mr. Budler made some good points, but misrepresented the nature of
StuffIt's (both Classic and Deluxe) handling of virus checking.

[debate on the drawbacks of self-extracting archives omitted]

>And I think the current (Stuffit Deluxe 1.0) method of virus checking is
>inadequate. Why?, cause it's too old. Updates are too infrequent.

This is not relevant.  If you enable the detect "All (Both Viruses and
Anomalies)" option then the user is protected by a scheme similar to that
used by the Gate-Keeper-Aid, which alerts the user when it detects any
behavior "like" that of a virus.  It is thus of greater generality than
is implied in Mr. Budler's characterization.  Moreover, when the alert
is issued during unstuffing, the user is presented with a dialog box
that sends the file straight to the his/her virus elimination application.
Mine is configured to send problem files straight to Disinfectant 2.4,
which is current, I think.

I think this represents a significant, and generous, contribution on
the part of Aladdin, who could have reserved this feature for the
commercial version of the software.

>>StuffIt Classic, (and Deluxe), on the other hand, include virus checking
>>during dearchiving that can be updated with new versions of the software.
>
>Not often enough.

Not necessary, either.

>I'm not sure I agree. Given that I think about 3 new virus have appeared
>since Stuffit Deluxe 1.0 came out, I prefer trusting GateKeeper, or
>Disinfectant, or SAM.
>When (if) the archiver is adaptable, like Virus Detective or SAM II,
>or updated as frequently as Disinfectant, I might trust the virus
>checking in the archiver.

Well ... I would argue that "adaptable" virus detection is a "sophisticated-
user-only" feature.  Even if everybody downloads the latest search
strings at the instant they are uploaded by their authors (bless them),
this technique still lacks the generality and convenience of the
approach taken by StuffIt.  It can't replace Disinfectant and GateKeeper,
of course, but it enforces the virus check.  I often copy downloaded
files directly to floppies or make copies for friends.  GateKeeper
and the Disinfectant init don't search all incoming files for viri,
they merely attempt to catch them in the act.  If I fail to check incoming
files with Disinfectant, I may be protected, but those who get copies
of the files from me fend for themselves.  I like the convenience of
handling this automatically, within the context of the scripted
dearchive routines enabled by Deluxe.

No virus protection scheme is perfect, but by combining a GateKeeper-like
catch-all with built-in launch of the Disinfectant application of your choice,
StuffIt comes as close as is currently possible.  ( And makes it EASY. )

>Meanwhile I have the others, and don't feel the need for it in the archiver
>at all.

That is fine for you and the rest of the "power-users" on the net.
The original issue in this thread was the question of what makes for an
appropriate archive format for ALL the users who take advantage of
usenet archives.  Even computer-illiterate idiots like me.  Virus handling
is just one of the StuffIt advantages that *everybody* can benefit from.

Others have pointed out that the "known" SIT format has enabled
unSIT utilities to be made available for unix and the IBM PC -- giving
PC users access to Mac ftp archives as well.  I like being able to
take advantage of PC files archived in known formats like arc and zip.
It is only reasonable that PC users get to enjoy the same advantages.

( I was particularly glad to see that StuffIt Deluxe allows alternate format
handling to be directly incorporated as extension modules.)  I look forward
to replacing the 4 plus megs of PD dearchiving software that currently
resides redundantly as stand-alone binaries or .exe files on my hard disk.

Compactor just offers yet another good, but inflexible and proprietary,
file compression solution.  Why not MacCompress?  It's free.

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

Jim.Budler@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Jim Budler) (12/30/90)

> [...]

I'm not sure I agree. Given that I think about 3 new virus have appeared
since Stuffit Deluxe 1.0 came out, I prefer trusting GateKeeper, or
Disinfectant, or SAM.

When (if) the archiver is adaptable, like Virus Detective or SAM II,
or updated as frequently as Disinfectant, I might trust the virus
checking in the archiver.

Meanwhile I have the others, and don't feel the need for it in the archiver
at all.

>The same topic has gotten alot of net.air.play in the ibm-pc groups,
>in which many posters have warned that self-extracting-archives make
>for particularly rapid and unwitting spread of viri.

Are these Orange to Orange comparisons?:

Do the PC'ers self extractors allow for dearchiving with the regular
archive tools?

Do the PC'ers have TSR's (Mac: INITs, UNIX: daemons) which watch for

     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      I  Proud
    /  /  /\/\   /__    Silvar-Lisco, Inc.  +1.408.991.6115    I MacIIsi
/__/  /  /   /  /__/   703 E. Evelyn Ave. Sunnyvale, Ca. 94086 I  owner

--
Jim Budler - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Jim.Budler

johnston@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (johnston) (12/30/90)

In article <1990Dec29.195417.20150@silvlis.com>, jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler)
writes...

I apologize in advance for perpetuating this for those who are bored.
It may be that I feel a tinge of guilt for sparking another round of
StuffIt-bashing by starting the 'Installer from Hell' thread.  These
will be my last words on the subject, I promise!  ;-)

Mr. Budler made some good points, but misrepresented the nature of
StuffIt's (both Classic and Deluxe) handling of virus checking.

[debate on the drawbacks of self-extracting archives omitted]

>And I think the current (Stuffit Deluxe 1.0) method of virus checking is
>inadequate. Why?, cause it's too old. Updates are too infrequent.

This is not relevant.  If you enable the detect "All (Both Viruses and
Anomalies)" option then the user is protected by a scheme similar to that
used by the Gate-Keeper-Aid, which alerts the user when it detects any
behavior "like" that of a virus.  It is thus of greater generality than
is implied in Mr. Budler's characterization.  Moreover, when the alert
is issued during unstuffing, the user is presented with a dialog box
that sends the file straight to the his/her virus elimination application.

Mine is configured to send problem files straight to Disinfectant 2.4,
which is current, I think.

I think this represents a significant, and generous, contribution on
the part of Aladdin, who could have reserved this feature for the
commercial version of the software.

>>StuffIt Classic, (and Deluxe), on the other hand, include virus checking
>>during dearchiving that can be updated with new versions of the software.

>Not often enough.

Not necessary, either.

kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec28.110336@hari.Viewlogic.COM> peter@hari.Viewlogic.COM (Peter Colby) writes:

>	If SD 2.0 is even approximately close to Compactor in
>speed and compression ratio, or if I can incorporate the freely
>available LZW algorithm used in UN*X compress (and MacCompress)
>as another compression method in SD, then I'll run for SD 2 so
>fast Compactor won't even see my dust.

The Quick Tips column in the latest (Jan '91) issue of MacWorld suggests
that several factors make a tremendous difference in un-stuffing time
for Stuffit 1.5.1, so possibly they will also make a difference in Stuffit
Classic and Stuffit Deluxe.  I haven't tried any of these myself yet,
but apparently, using a screen saver when unstuffing, running Stuffit and
the System off of a floppy(!), and setting the Monitors CDev in the control
panel to Black&White all drastically improve un-stuffing performance.  The
times given for unstuffing a 98K archive went like this:

73 seconds with no screen saver active and running off of 80MB Apple hard disk
53 seconds with After Dark screen saver and hard disk
50 seconds with no screen saver, active system and Stuffit app. on floppy
43 seconds with After Dark, active system and Stuffit on floppy.

All times doubled when monitors CDev set to 256 colors.  That's about a
3.4-fold increase in performance between the best and worst cases.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd throw
it out for people to try so we could get some statistically significant
results.  It would also be interesting to see if Compactor benefits from
any of the above methods.
--
Steve Kanefsky
kanefsky@cs.umn.edu

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (12/31/90)

In article <1990Dec30.221035.16112@cs.umn.edu> kanefsky@cs.umn.edu (Steve Kanefsky) writes:
>The Quick Tips column in the latest (Jan '91) issue of MacWorld suggests
>that several factors make a tremendous difference in un-stuffing time
>for Stuffit 1.5.1, so possibly they will also make a difference in Stuffit
>Classic and Stuffit Deluxe.  I haven't tried any of these myself yet,
>but apparently, using a screen saver when unstuffing, running Stuffit and
>the System off of a floppy(!), and setting the Monitors CDev in the control
>panel to Black&White all drastically improve un-stuffing performance.  The
>times given for unstuffing a 98K archive went like this:

I too was amazed at this and actually found it to be true.  It's actually
not too surprising when you sit there and watch your hard disk's access
light constantly flicker.  When I ran StuffIt Deluxe on an 8 meg
IIfx (finder only), I was appalled by the speed.  The intelligent
thing to do would be to create one large input buffer and one large
output buffer to lessen disk access.  StuffIt Deluxe seems to ignore
available memory and reads in tiny blocks at a time.  It's not hard
to understand how everyone else's StuffIt decompression programs are
faster than StuffIt.  Hopefully this'll change in StuffIt Deluxe 2.0.
Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
Aladdin.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (12/31/90)

I'm not sure I understand exactly how StuffIt checks for viruses.  Launching a
(configurable) virus-handling application when a virus is discovered sounds
like useful behavior, but I don't understand how the detection is done.  Mr.
Johnston says that it has a Gatekeeper- or GKAid-like mechanism.  (I'm not sure
which and they are quite different.)  First, I don't understand how the process
works because all (known) Mac viruses reside in resources and a compression
program has no way to look at resources during the decompression process,
during which it should be using a linear write of the resources in the data
fork.  Of course, the program could open the resource fork after it was done
writing it, but then it could make itself susceptible (I think) to WDEF-like
virii.  Therein would lie the advantage of having a GKAid-like system built
in--but I think GKAid (I could be wrong about this) only looks at Desktop
files.  It certainly only looks for a very specific and small subset of the
known and possible virii.  (GKAid catches WDEF; does it also catch MDEF/CDEF?
I don't recall; I've never seen either of the latter.)  And as to emulating the
functionality of Gatekeeper itself, the power and generality of Gatekeeper lies
in its passive approach to virus detection.  Gatekeeper detects things when
they try to spread.  This usually requires that an infected application or
system be started up.  I don't think it is practical for StuffIt to start up an
application in order to detect whether it is infected or not; it would be
simpler just to launch Disinfectant.  The only other reasonable alternative to
virus-catching besides the passive approach is (surprise) the active approach,
but until we have something which is artificially intelligent enough to do the
work of determining whether an arbitrary segment of code is virus material or
not, this method depends on looking for known viruses, with regular updates
when new viruses appear.  As has been noted, Stuffit is not updated frequently
enough to make such an approach reliable.  So until System 7's IAC, or John
Norstad supplies an "engine" to do virus-checking from within other programs (I
think personally that the former is much cleaner than the latter, although it
does require waiting for 7.0 :-(), I don't much see the point of virus checking
in compression programs.  Personally, I don't often give copies of stuffed
programs directly to friends, and almost never do that without having used the
program first...  And if I detect a virus in downloaded software, I will check
the source.  On top of this, I find that it is extremely rare that I ever
download an infected archive from anywhere anyway.  I think this is a tribute
to the integrity and carefulness of the people who contribute to and work with
the download sites I deal with.  (Getting a little sidetracked here.)  So I
think that an IAC method which interfaces to the normal virus checking
interface would be great, but anything else is likely to be sub-standard.

>( I was particularly glad to see that StuffIt Deluxe allows alternate format
>handling to be directly incorporated as extension modules.)  I look forward
>to replacing the 4 plus megs of PD dearchiving software that currently
>resides redundantly as stand-alone binaries or .exe files on my hard disk.

Surely you exaggerate!  The only compression or decompression programs that
take up more than 100-150K are, ironically, the latest versions of Stuffit.
Most of them don't come anywhere near that.  I collect these things, and, not
including the latest versions of Stuffit, I don't have anywhere near 4 megs for
the Mac.  Less than 1 meg, I think.  And PC binaries are even smaller, in many
cases (isn't the latest PKZIP about 40K?).

>Why not MacCompress?  It's free.
Have you compared MacCompress with other programs in terms of compression and
speed?  Unix compress is really getting outdated as well (in terms of both
compression AND speed, though the latter is rarely noticed as Unix boxes get
faster and faster and some newer methods are even slower.  Personally, I never
use compress any more under Unix--I uncompress and then use either LHarc or
Squeeze, which uses something called Miller-Wegman encoding.  Unfortunately,
neither is nearly fast enough to run reasonably on a Mac, though Stuffit Deluxe
tries the former.

Just my two cents... Whenever people start talking compression, I have to put
them in somewhere.  In case you can't tell, my preference for a Mac compressor
is Compactor...

-Vince Del Vecchio
vd09@andrew.cmu.edu

weave@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (01/01/91)

OK, here comes my two cents....

This thread has broken down into many general topics, of which different
arguments apply to each.

1) Don't post using stuffit deluxe
2) The merits (or lack of) using Stuffit as an archiver
3) The speed and compression capability of Stuffit Deluxe

The one we should be most concerned about and to concentrate on is #1.

I am a registered user of Stuffit Deluxe, but I DO NOT think it should be
used to post stuff to the net with, for the following reason below...

In article <1990Dec29.043759.24299@svc.portal.com> daven@svc.portal.com writes:

>The Aladdin people (publisher's of StuffIt Deluxe) are willing to place
>the StuffIt Deluxe file formats and compression alogrithms in escrow.
>Should Aladdin go out of business completely, then CIS can gain the
>necessary information on how to extract files from all the Deluxe archives
>in their libraries.

Bingo. Read that again. This indicates that the file formats for Deluxe
archives ARE NOT PUBLICALLY AVAILABLE.  That means no free compatible un-
stuffing utilities for PCs and UNIX.  On the other hand, Stuffit 1.5.1
format must be available since we have unstuff programs for UNIX and MS/DOS
around.

Archived files that are posted under UNIX, DOS, or Mac should be easily
unarchived on all three systems. DOS ZIP files meet this. Unix compress
tar files meet this requirement, and so do old Stuffit archives.

This reason is why I'm against compactor as well...

>Neil went on to state that StuffIt 1.5.1 file formats and compression
>techniques being public knowledge made it a more than acceptable format
>for use on CIS. He then went on to state that Compactor's author was
>unable to reach an agreement with CIS on placing his file formats and
>compression techniques into escrow.

Another point about Compactor, which I've never tried... Does the license
allow you to keep it for free for unarchival purposes only? If not, then
that's another blow against it.

In article <8bTek_u00aw301AtdE@andrew.cmu.edu>
	 vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:

>>Why not MacCompress?  It's free.
>Have you compared MacCompress with other programs in terms of compression and
>speed?  Unix compress is really getting outdated as well (in terms of both
>compression AND speed, though the latter is rarely noticed as Unix boxes get
>faster and faster and some newer methods are even slower.  Personally, I never
>use compress any more under Unix--I uncompress and then use either LHarc or
>Squeeze, which uses something called Miller-Wegman encoding.  Unfortunately,
>neither is nearly fast enough to run reasonably on a Mac, though Stuffit Deluxe
>tries the former.

I am hesitant to answer this one for fear this will break into another
thread regarding UNIX compression techniques, but my argument is the same
as for stuffit.  The #1 concern should be universal ability to unarchive
on multiple platforms and should be free.

Now I did put lharc on my UNIX box, but don't use it. I do occasionally
get one of my users lharc'ing files and then uuto'ing the archive to me.
When I extract it, damn lharc chown's the individual files back to the
original user and I have to su to root to get them to be owned by me. (A
curse of being Sys V I guess :-). I briefly looked at the flags of lharc
and didn't see anything similar to the o flag of tar.

I mean, for pete sake, I even have compress for my Prime running PRIMOS.
I doubt I'll ever see lharc on THAT box!!!!
--

leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) (01/01/91)

In article <5185@husc6.harvard.edu>, kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock)
writes:
> I too was amazed at this and actually found it to be true.  It's actually
> not too surprising when you sit there and watch your hard disk's access
> light constantly flicker.  When I ran StuffIt Deluxe on an 8 meg
> IIfx (finder only), I was appalled by the speed.  The intelligent
> thing to do would be to create one large input buffer and one large
> output buffer to lessen disk access.
	Stuffit Deluxe 2.0 improves on this (and other stuff), but if you
want to see REAL disk access, look at Compactor.  I once did some testing
on a PLI External RAMDisk and you should have seen the disk activity of
Compactor, and because the disk was fast(!) it got better times than on a
regular HD.

> Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
> someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
> Aladdin.

	That's not entirely fair, Ken.  Version 1.0 of Stuffit Deluxe had
other priorities than speed at the time it was being written - they were
concentrating on offering features which made compression & archiving easier
and more convient - the viewers, optimizers and scripting for example.  Users
have found these to be quite useful, but the biggest request for 2.0 was
Speed - and so it has been addressed!
	Remember that there is more to compression utilities, or any program
for that matter, than just speed.  A program may take a bit longer to compress
a file, but it may also take me less time to start the compression process
as it is easier to work with!  If speed were the only issue, we would all
be using CRAYs and COS (blech!)
+ Leonard Rosenthol              | Internet: leonardr@sv.portal.com  +
+ Software Ventures              | GEnie:    MACgician               +
+ MicroPhone II Development Team | AOL:      MACgician1              +

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (01/01/91)

In article <1990Dec31.201634.27364@svc.portal.com> leonardr@svc.portal.com (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>In article <5185@husc6.harvard.edu>, kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock)
>writes:
>> Otherwise, I guess I'll have to switch to Compactor -- written by
>> someone who appears to be much more competant than the folks at
>> Aladdin.
>>
>	That's not entirely fair, Ken.  Version 1.0 of Stuffit Deluxe had
>other priorities than speed at the time it was being written - they were
>concentrating on offering features which made compression & archiving easier
>and more convient - the viewers, optimizers and scripting for example.  Users
>have found these to be quite useful, but the biggest request for 2.0 was
>Speed - and so it has been addressed!

No, it's not entirely fair, I must admit.  (Which is why I'm posting
this...)  But there are a few reasons why I've been so sorely disappointed
with StuffIt Deluxe:

1) At MacWorld I -did- ask about speed.  I was told it'd be faster.
   (Note: I use "Better" compression, which is slow, but Compactor
    gives comparable results in less time, so I feel StuffIt should
    be able to do at least close.)
2) It has to say something negative when everyone else can do it
   (read as: unstuffing) faster than you do it, -with your own format-.
3) I, too, had a different installer bug.  If there's anything that should be
   thoroughly tested, it's an installer.  If the first thing you try
   fails, it can't help but leave a bad taste in your mouth.
   (Good thing I didn't run into the recursive folders...)
4) I once tried the Sound optimizer.  It took longer to unstuff a 1 meg
   sound file than to stuff it.  (Over 30 minutes...)
5) I hate the personalization feature.  The fact that it won't let me NOT
   enter a signature bothers me even more.  Who on earth can draw their
   signature with MacPaint tools and have it even remotely resemble their
   actual signature?  I can't.  If I had to vote for the worst feature of
   any program for 1990, this would honestly be it.

Now, to be fair, I have to defend some of the features I do like:

1) Magic Menu -- it's the second reason I haven't already switched to
   Compactor.  I like it too much to do without it.
2) Quick Unstuff.  I do loads of downloading from unix boxes.  I
   run mcvert (.hqx -> .bin) and then batch download with zmodem.
   I used to have to unstuff and move into separate folders which
   would have been absolutely impossible instead of difficult without
   the various new folder INITs.  Quick Unstuff does exactly what I've
   been doing for years, painlessly.  (DDExpand does it as well...)
3) Folder recursion.  Not unique, but still a big improvement.

And of course, the first reason I haven't switched: loyalty.
I sent in my StuffIt registration fee shortly after StuffIt came out.
Why?  Not because I wanted to use the compression options (even though
I later did), but because I knew it was going to save me a LOT of time
and money that was getting used up by downloading the larger PackIt files.
Over the last few years, I've saved lots of time and money and I
very much appreciate the effort that Raymond Lau put into StuffIt.  For
may years people looked at PKZIP and said how much better IBM compression
programs were, but no one did anything until StuffIt.

Oh well, more than 'nuff said.

Ken

--

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (01/02/91)

> Another point about Compactor, which I've never tried... Does the license
>  allow you to keep it for free for unarchival purposes only? If not, then
> that's another blow against it.

This part isn't a concern; as is the case with UnStuffit, Extractor (the
uncompress-only version of Compactor) is free.  I do agree that it would be
nice if Bill Goodman would at least release info on how to decompress his
archives, similar to what Phil Katz has done.  If the names in Stuffit are at
all meaningful, the non-availability of info on Stuffit formats is almost a
non-issue.  The "better" formats are the same as the 1.5.1 formats, and the
"best" format, I believe, is LZH, the same thing used in Lharc, which is hardly
proprietary.  JPEG is also a standard.  Other formats may be more of a problem,
but these that are known are the most commonly used, I think.

> as for stuffit.  The #1 concern should be universal ability to unarchive
> on multiple platforms and should be free.

I think that this is a non-issue for any Unix archiver.  For it to be available
across Unixes, source must be available, and hence the archive format is
implicitly known.  Also, (excepting the possibility of a patent problem with
compress) these things tend to be free.

I guess that's four cents now.

-Vince Del Vecchio
vd09@andrew.cmu.edu

Reid Ellis <rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> (01/06/91)

Vladimir G. Ivanovic <vladimir@prosper.EBB.Eng.Sun.COM> writes:
>On the contrary, *DO* post using StuffIt!  Then I can use DiskDoubler to
>unpack. :-) :-) :-) <many more...> :-)
>
>DiskDoubler is fast and nearly bullet-proof.  I can't ask for more.

I recently found a stuffit archive that DiskDoubler couldn't handle
but with which Stuffit Classic had no problems.  It was one of the
CM_Font files from the OzTeX distribution of TeX for the Mac, and the
archive had 86 files in it.  I think it might have been the file count
that gave DiskDoubler headaches.

					Reid
--
Reid Ellis  176 Brookbanks Drive, Toronto ON, M3A 2T5 Canada
rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      ||  rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu