[comp.sys.mac.misc] Problem with 45mb removable drive

uad1031@dircon.uucp (Julian Templeman) (01/05/91)

Hi.... I have a Syquest-type 45mb removable drive manufactured
by Cutting Edge, which I am having trouble with, and I'd
appreciate some input.

It worked fine until I needed another disk. So I bought one,
formatted it with the Cutting Edge Format & Test Program, and
then spent a while moving files around and generally tidying
up. Switch off, and next morning....  it won't boot, and
hasn't since. Is this a massive coincidence, or what ?
The symptoms are: put a disk in (any disk), the drive
speeds up, gets up to speed, click (as the heads move in, I
assume), then tries to read..... this is the point where the
green light usually comes on. But now - the disk slows down to
a halt, and the drive sits there with the LEDs flashing one
green/five orange. Occasionally I can provoke it to give me
one orange/six green instead. No mention in the manual of
what these mean.

I've tried the disks in another Syquest drive, and they're OK.
Likewise the SCSI bus is OK, as all other devices work fine.
I also reinstalled the system and finder just in case, too.

Any help appreciated, as my distributor tells me it will be
4-6 weeks minimum getting it fixed; I want to be sure it's
the drive before I send it off !!

Thanks,
julian

Julian Templeman                           Baker Jardine & Associates
Tel: +44-81-371-5644                          London SW6 4TJ, England
Fax: +44-81-371-5182                            ...ukc!dircon!uad1031

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (01/06/91)

In article <1991AMFri.04.12822@dircon.uucp> uad1031@dircon.uucp (Julian Templeman) writes:

>Hi.... I have a Syquest-type 45mb removable drive manufactured
>by Cutting Edge, which I am having trouble with, and I'd
>appreciate some input.

[...]
>green light usually comes on. But now - the disk slows down to
>a halt, and the drive sits there with the LEDs flashing one
>green/five orange. Occasionally I can provoke it to give me
>one orange/six green instead. No mention in the manual of
>what these mean.

Your unit is experiencing hardware trouble and needs to be sent in for
repair. The blinking signals an error code output by the startup self-test
routine.

I have had my drive blink on me once, but it was only a glitch and
powering the drive on and off once fixed it. The info above I got from
MassMicro tech support (just one of the reasons why not buying the
cheapest syquest-based drive has paid off for me--but that is a
different story...)

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)