[comp.sys.mac.misc] Print Dialog Box - Color/Gray Scale vs. Black & White

dale@bcm.tmc.edu (Dale A. Samuelsen) (01/04/91)

I just talked with one of our Macintosh users here who wanted to find a
way to make the Black & White selection the default for the Printer Dialog
Box (His system level is 6.0.5).

If anyone knows of a way to change that default from Color/Gray Scale to
Black & White, I'd appreciate an e-mail response.  I'll post a follow-up
to comp.sys.mac.misc when I've gotten a fix that works.

My e-mail address is dale@bcm.tmc.edu.

Thanks for your help.

Dale

Dale A. Samuelsen
Baylor College of Medicine
dale@bcm.tmc.edu
--Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of Baylor College of Medicine.

dale@bcm.tmc.edu (Dale A. Samuelsen) (01/08/91)

In article <3449@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> dale@bcm.tmc.edu (Dale A. Samuelsen)
writes:
> I just talked with one of our Macintosh users here who wanted to find a
> way to make the Black & White selection the default for the Printer
Dialog
> Box (His system level is 6.0.5).
>
> If anyone knows of a way to change that default from Color/Gray Scale to
> Black & White, I'd appreciate an e-mail response.  I'll post a follow-up
> to comp.sys.mac.misc when I've gotten a fix that works.

Here's the summary of the responses I got.  Thanks to all of you for your
help....

This is the procedure as explained to me:

0) MAKE BACKUP OF LASERWRITER DRIVER
1) Open "LaserWriter" driver using a utility capable of editing resources
   in Hexidecimal
2) Open the PDEF ID=4 resource using the Hex editor (if using resedit)
3) Find the string (using command-f) "377C 0017 0004 7801" (don't type the
   spaces, they are here for the sake of clarity only.)
4) Change the "0017" to "0018"
5) Save the changes and you are on your way.

I was able to edit the hex string using Symantec's SUM Tools.  It worked
quite well. There are several other options for editing files at that low
level.  Be sure to work only on a backup copy and test it before deleting
the unmodified driver.