[comp.sys.mac.misc] Why I like Compactor

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) (01/01/91)

 I prefer Compactor to Stuffit for at least one task: archiving my vast
 collection of shareware/PD programs. For example, I have close to 2MB
 (compressed) of INITs and CDEVs, stored on floppies. I used to have to break
 them up across several floppies as INITs and CDEVs A-M, INITs and CDEVs N-Z,
 etc.

 With Compactor, I can create an archive that spans several floppies, and
 easily add, extract, remove, or rename items to, from, or in the archive,
 all without re-joining it all on my hard disk. To my knowledge, Stuffit
 cannot do this.

Richard C. Long  *  long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com
                 *  ...!decwrl!mcntsh.enet.dec.com!long
                 *  long%mcntsh.dec@decwrl.enet.dec.com

hui@rhea.trl.oz (Alvaro Hui) (01/08/91)

long@mcntsh.enet.dec.com (Rich Long) writes:

> I prefer Compactor to Stuffit for at least one task: archiving my vast
> collection of shareware/PD programs. For example, I have close to 2MB
> (compressed) of INITs and CDEVs, stored on floppies. I used to have to break
> them up across several floppies as INITs and CDEVs A-M, INITs and CDEVs N-Z,
> etc.

> With Compactor, I can create an archive that spans several floppies, and
> easily add, extract, remove, or rename items to, from, or in the archive,
> all without re-joining it all on my hard disk. To my knowledge, Stuffit
> cannot do this.

I prefer Compacter to Stuffit for another reason: It is very multifinder
friendly! I had a Mac Plus (slowwww) at home but for the very first time
enjoy "multitasking" on my machine with compacter running in the background
while I write my thesis comfortuately in the foreground!

Can Stuffit Deluxe 2.0 do that on a MacPlus?

Alvaro,
hui@trl.oz.au

	Alvaro Hui		|ACSnet,	hui@rhea.trl.oz.au
    4th Year B.E.\ B.Sc.	|Internet &	akkh@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU