[comp.sys.mac.misc] Wanted: Program to read 3.5" IBM floppies

garrison@zodiac.rutgers.edu (01/08/91)

Are there and programs available that enable one to read a 3.5" IBM formatted
disk? (Or anything for the IBM that can read a Macintosh disk)?
Thanks,
Karl

typ125m@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (John Wilkins) (01/09/91)

garrison@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:

>Are there and programs available that enable one to read a 3.5" IBM formatted
>disk? (Or anything for the IBM that can read a Macintosh disk)?
>Thanks,
>Karl

Yes, and it comes free with the Mac OS: it's called Apple File Exchange
but to access DOS disks, you need an FDHD (Superdrive) drive. Start
it up and insert the DOS disk. BTW, Maclink translators use the same
format as AFE, so if you put them in your AFE folder, you can translate
the files at the same time.

--
John Wilkins, Manager, Publishing & Advertising, Monash University
Melbourne, Australia - Internet: john@publications.ccc.monash.edu.au

gsm@gsm001.uucp (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) (01/09/91)

garrison@zodiac.rutgers.edu  asks:

>Are there and programs available that enable one to read a 3.5" IBM formatted
>disk? (Or anything for the IBM that can read a Macintosh disk)?

On a MAC with a SUPERDRIVE (1.4M floppy drive),
found on a Mac II (most models except the II itself) later SE, SE/30's and
Classics you can read MS dos disks with the a program supplied with the
system.  I think it is called "Apple File Exchange".  The program works
either with no conversion (binary) or conversion of a variant of DCA to
a MAC word processor (I've only used binary conversion).

SE's and II's without one can be upgraded.  Pluses and earlier MACs cannot.

I use it often on my MAC Classic.

***HINT***

Files moved using "Apple File Exchange" need to have their type and creator
changed before most programs will read the files.  For STUFFIT to recognize
the files the creator and type must both be changed to "SIT!" (caps required,
quotes for illustation and should not be used.

On the PC, the people who make COPY II, make a "COPY II OPTION BOARD" for the
PC.  It goes in an eight-bit slot and and connects between the floppy
controler and the first drive.

The board comes with software  to read and write MAC floppies.

Mine is on a "generic" 286 clone and works fine.

>Thanks,
>Karl

You are welcome.

P.s. When all else fails a null modem and two communication programs
works fine.
|  Geoffrey S. Mendelson  |  Computer Software Consulting    |    Dr.      |
|  (215) 242-8712         |  IBM Mainframes, Unix, PCs, Macs |    Who      |
|  uunet!gsm001!gsm       |                                  |    Fan  too!|