[comp.sys.mac.misc] Jumpy Mice... solved!!!!

macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) (01/08/91)

Well, I took my new Classic's mouse into work today to see if my jumping
problem was the mouse or the Mac.  It was indeed the (new, cheaper design)
mouse... the one made in Taiwan.  On direct comparison to the SE's old
heavy mouse, the Classic's was definitely jumpier.

I recall someone coplaining about the Taiwanese mice a few weeks ago,
just before I got my machine. Anyhow, a colleague and I dug a bit deeper
into the problem and found what we believe to be the main problem.
The mouse uses a new, smaller ball, which is made of a new black material, as
opposed to the old grey rubber. We also noticed that the old ball is
significantly heavier than the new one.  In fact the new ball is so light that
it has trouble getting traction on the table... hence it jumps and gets
stuck.

Since there was one handy, we "borrowed" a ball from a Microsoft mouse for
testing purposes.  It is the smaller size, but of the heavier material. The
jumpiness went away immediately!  Let's just say it's time for another trip
to the dealer.

Thanks to the net for making me even notice the problem!

Dennis Lippert - macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu
                 MACMAN@vm2.cis.pitt.edu
 .

knapp@cs.utexas.edu (Edgar Knapp) (01/09/91)

In article <76563@unix.cis.pitt.edu> macman@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Dennis H Lippert) writes:
[...]
>I recall someone coplaining about the Taiwanese mice a few weeks ago,
>just before I got my machine. Anyhow, a colleague and I dug a bit deeper
>into the problem and found what we believe to be the main problem.
>The mouse uses a new, smaller ball, which is made of a new black material, as
>opposed to the old grey rubber. We also noticed that the old ball is
>significantly heavier than the new one.  In fact the new ball is so light that
>it has trouble getting traction on the table... hence it jumps and gets
>stuck.
[...]

This confirms my suspicion. I had to replace a IIcx mouse recently,
too. At first I thought all my inits and other gadgets were
interfering with mouse tracking. But after reading about other people
having the same symptoms, I exchanged the mouse for a new one, and the
jumpiness was gone. The only major problem was to find a dealer who
had mice in stock...

I suggest that everyone who has this problem take his mouse in for
replacement immediately if it is still under warranty (mine was
already 11 months old, thank god, Apple got reasonable about
warranties a year ago!). Judging from the number of people experincing
juminess, I predict a major mouse shortage in the near future.

Futhermore, we all should complain to Apple at their new customer
(dis)satisfaction number about the cheap new mice. They may wake up
and realize that one old, heavy mouse is cheaper than two or three new
ones.

Edgar

(knapp@cs.utexas.edu)

edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (01/09/91)

>In fact the new ball is so light that
>it has trouble getting traction on the table

If you send in your registration card, Apple will send you a free mouse pad.
That may help with the traction.  It certainly helps keep dust out of the
mouse.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics             Bitnet:    EDGAR@OHSTPY

steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.132051.17442@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:

   If you send in your registration card, Apple will send you a free mouse pad.
   That may help with the traction.  It certainly helps keep dust out of the
   mouse.

I have yet to find anything sold as a mouse pad that works.  The
cloth-covered ones generate lint, and both they and the plastic ones
are two slippery.  The only good mouse pads are:

   The rubber stuff they cover drafting tables with

   (even better) the silicone-rubber "cutting pads" sold in graphic
   arts and stationery stores.  Get the blue kind--the clear ones are
   twice as expensive and don't work as well.

--
\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
 \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) (01/10/91)

In article <STEVE.91Jan9134018@pluto.Advansoft.COM> steve@Advansoft.COM (Steve Savitzky) writes:
>In article <1991Jan9.132051.17442@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu> edgar@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) writes:
>
>   If you send in your registration card, Apple will send you a free mouse pad.
>   That may help with the traction.  It certainly helps keep dust out of the
>   mouse.
>
>I have yet to find anything sold as a mouse pad that works.  The
>cloth-covered ones generate lint, and both they and the plastic ones
>are two slippery.  The only good mouse pads are:

[rest deleted]

>--
>\ --Steve Savitzky--  \ ADVANsoft Research Corp \ REAL hackers use an AXE! \
> \ steve@advansoft.COM \ 4301 Great America Pkwy \ #include<disclaimer.h>   \
>  \ arc!steve@apple.COM \ Santa Clara, CA 95954   \        408-727-3357      \

I sent in my registration card with my new SE/30, thinking that the free
Apple mouse pad would be just another cheepo pad to throw into my desk
drawer and forget.  However, it turns out that the Apple mouse pad is one
of the best I have ever used.  Not bad for free...

Just my two cents worth.  You can keep the change :-)

Brian Patten
patten@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu                         Future site of
Institute for Astronomy                               a really clever
University of Hawaii at Manoa                         .sig quote ;-)