[comp.sys.mac.misc] Bus error with ResEdit 2.1 OR Suitcase & MacroMaker on 6.0.7 ??

Michael.K..Yee@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael K. Yee) (12/30/90)

        I have had many Bus error bombs on my Mac LC running System 6.0.7.
        When I use Suitcase II with MacroMaker and startup Mutifinder, every
        thing is fine.  But, when I do the same, and start-up with Finder -
        I get a Bus error.  I thought Finder was suppose to be more stable
        than Multifinder.

        The other time I get a Bus error is when I tried to edit a fkeys ID
        in ResEdit 2.1.  I get a Bus error.  My question is - What is a Bus
        error, and does anyone know what is going on here?  Is this a known
        bug?

        Many thanks,

        =Mike
--
= Michael K. Yee                -- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

--
Michael K. Yee - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
    UUCP: ...!{uunet!glacier, ..reed.bitnet}!busker!226!20!Michael.K..Yee

dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (01/09/91)

In article <636.2783DEF0@busker.fidonet.org> Michael.K..Yee@f20.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Michael K. Yee) writes:

>        I have had many Bus error bombs on my Mac LC running System 6.0.7.
>        When I use Suitcase II with MacroMaker and startup Mutifinder, every
>        thing is fine.  But, when I do the same, and start-up with Finder -
>        I get a Bus error.  I thought Finder was suppose to be more stable
>        than Multifinder.
>
>        The other time I get a Bus error is when I tried to edit a fkeys ID
>        in ResEdit 2.1.  I get a Bus error.  My question is - What is a Bus
>        error, and does anyone know what is going on here?  Is this a known
>        bug?

I have a new IIsi running System 6.0.7, and bus errors are VERY
common.  Some programs that ran fine on my old Mac Plus bomb this way
consistently.  Other programs bomb with a bus error on occasion;
however, I haven't spent enough time with ANY program on my new
machine to see whether I could consistently reproduce the error.
I hope someone will come out soon with a list of incompatible programs.

I believe the problem is the lack of a math coprocessor (the LC and
the IIsi are alike in this respect).  I don't have any external
peripherals (well, other than the obvious ones), so I don't know why
else I'd be using the bus.

I put in the PseudoFPU INIT, and that allows some programs to run.
For example, the Satori module for After Dark gave a bus error before,
but with PseudoFPU it now runs beautifully (if very slowly!).

BTW, I use Suitcase II always, MultiFinder about half the time, and a
number of other inits and cdevs.  I don't use MacroMaker or fkeys.

-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my employer is improbable.
< You can put a mouse on an IBM.  And you can put a radio on a motorcycle. >

d88-jwa@dront.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (01/11/91)

In article <> dave@PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:

>the IIsi are alike in this respect).  I don't have any external
>peripherals (well, other than the obvious ones), so I don't know why
>else I'd be using the bus.

Well, like, reading data from memory ? Or even trying to execute
a PROGRAM ? ;-)

Calss. CLASS ! Could I have your attention, please ?

The "bus" (as in "Bus Error") is the internal bus, which connects
the CPU, the ROMs, the RAMs and other various circuits. This bus
is connected to the NuBus and the SCSI bus, which may or may not
generate "bus error"s upon faulty use.

The main reason for bus errors are when the CPU's trying to read
from an address, but there's nothing there. (Like, as in a dangling
pointer :-)

								h+

Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se