[comp.sys.mac.misc] A tangible reason to use/support StuffIt.

johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (01/10/91)

One of the nice aspects of the new versions of StuffIt is a "modular"
structure that supports "Translators" for *other* file formats.
Translator modules contain just the information needed to accomplish
the format conversion;  StuffIt Classic or Deluxe provide the user
interface.

Far from being a symptom of "feature-itis", these modules can be
included in StuffIt at the discretion of the user;  just drop the
module into the "Translators" folder and the next time you run
StuffIt, the translation options appear magically in the "Other" menu.

Users who have previously relied on a host of stand-alone utilities
for tasks like uu**code'ing, MacBinary (BinHex 5.0), DDexpanding, and
Ascii<-->Binary conversions will be able to perform such tasks from
within a single application, with a consistent user interface.

I was glad to see that Aladdin used this modular format, and I am pleased
to see that the first public domain translator modules have recently been made
available on the commercial boards.  The first three modules are MacBinary,
DDexpand, and Ascii<-->Binary.  UU**code, tar, and ".Z" (unix compression)
translators are coming "real soon now", I have been told.

I would like to put these up for anonymous ftp, but in the meantime
I would be happy to send a StuffIt'd and binhexed copy by e-mail to
anybody who is interested and can't wait.  These are only useful in
conjunction with StuffIt Classic or Deluxe; so I plan to use StuffIt
Classic's "Better" compression mode for the e-mail copies.

For the anonymous ftp file I will observe net.convention and post in
the standard StuffIt 1.5.1 format.  (If anyone has any suggestions as to
the quickest way to get them up for ftp'ing, I would appreciate your input.)

The MacBinary and "Ascii<-->Binary" modules were written by Ray Lau; and
the DDexpand module is copyright Aladdin.  Thanks to Leonard Rosenthol
of Software Ventures for forwarding copies of the new translators and
pointing out to me that they work with the shareware StuffIt Classic
as well as for the commercial StuffIt Deluxe!

-- Bill (johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu)
-- 38 Chambers St.; Newark, DE 19711; (302)368-1949

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (01/10/91)

In article <41298@nigel.ee.udel.edu>,
johnston@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
> One of the nice aspects of the new versions of StuffIt is a "modular"
> structure that supports "Translators" for *other* file formats.
> Translator modules contain just the information needed to accomplish
> the format conversion;  StuffIt Classic or Deluxe provide the user
> interface.

Yes, this is a good idea, and one which will be showing in a future
version of DD as well, according to Lloyd Chambers (though I must
admit to nagging him to put it in :-))

> DDexpand, and Ascii<-->Binary.  UU**code, tar, and ".Z" (unix compression)

One warning about the DDExpand translator in SD. One person on AOL had
immediately downloaded it and tried and it promptly locked his machine
up completely. Since Salient hasn't given their format to Aladdin any
more than Aladdin has given their format to Salient, there are bound
to be some quirks for a while until Aladdin completely figures out
what Lloyd has done. And then of course is the problem that DD 3.1 is
being shown at Macworld Expo right now (a free upgrade for registered
usrs) and it uses a slightly different file format, such that 3.0
can't expand 3.1 files and it's extremely unlikely that the SD
translator can either. Just so as you know ....

cheers ... Adam

--
Adam C. Engst            (best)  ace@tidbits.tcnet.ithaca.ny.us
                         (also)  ace@tidbits.uucp

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (01/11/91)

In article <1991Jan10.105544.1940@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>One warning about the DDExpand translator in SD. One person on AOL had
>immediately downloaded it and tried and it promptly locked his machine
>up completely. Since Salient hasn't given their format to Aladdin any
>more than Aladdin has given their format to Salient, there are bound
>to be some quirks for a while until Aladdin completely figures out
>what Lloyd has done.

Actually, i'm not sure Alladin really knows what DD is doing... I haven't
SEEN the translator work yet, but from the file description I read, it
requires DiskDoubler, so I am ASSUMING (just a guess) that this translator
is using the IAC capability provided within the DiskDoubler INIT to first
uncompress file file, and then let Stuffit compress it.... can anyone
confirm this?
   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"