[comp.sys.mac.misc] RAY JOHNSON at GWU stiffed me!

stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (01/11/91)

Before Thanksgiving, I posted a note about vols 1-4 of Inside Mac for
sale.  I accepted the offer of a

	RAY JOHNSON
	at GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY.

Being a trusting soul (big mistake!), I shipped the books (at my
expense) to an address in Oregon where he said he would be during
Christmas.  He would pick them up then...

Well, Mr. Johnson appears to have his copies of Inside Mac but I do
not have my payment.  It looks like I've been stiffed!

Ray Johnson, if you read this, YOU OWE ME $57.75!

I'll never sell anything on Usenet again!

Steve Witten                    stevewi%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com
Intelligent Networks Operation  ...!hplabs!hpspdra!stevewi
Hewlett-Packard Co.             stevewi@hpspdra.spd.hp.com
(415)857-5569

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (01/11/91)

In article <21480006@hpspdra.HP.COM>, stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:

> I'll never sell anything on Usenet again!

Steve,

I sympathize with your apparent trouble.

However, singling out Usenet as your trouble is probable off the mark.
If you had used the newspaper to place your advertisement, and executed
the same deal, you would have had the same chance of being stiffed.

Most people, when dealing with unknown parties via mail, use COD services
to insure payment is made. This still provides the advantage of fast
shipment, and is usually fairly inexpensive. I personally ask the
other party to send payment in advance or agree to pay the COD charge.

On the other hand, I do hope that Mr. Johnson is just a
lazey individual, and will eventually send you your payment.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

waire@seas.gwu.edu (Timothy A. Waire) (01/11/91)

I personally know Ray Johnson and find him to be a very trustworthy person.

Flame ON!

I hope that you have made an effort to contact him before defaming him in
front of the entire USENET world!

Flame OFF!

Ray is the president of our Tau Beta Pi chapter here at GWU and a member of
the technical support staff in your Computer Science department.  I find it
very hard to believe that some sort of mishap has not ocurred.

I will personally look into the matter!
--
Timothy A. Waire, Jr. (Whitegold)           Executive Office of the President
INTERNET: waire@seas.gwu.edu                Office of Management & Budget

stevewi@hpspdra.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (01/11/91)

To all Usenet readers:

I am posting this note in a separate basenote to apologize for my previous
flame of

	RAY JOHNSON
	of GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY.

He has not stiffed me.  I received his check in the mail today for the correct
amount.

Like all of you, I don't like personal flames either but since I had shipped
my copies of Inside Mac to him and then followed with a letter that was never
answered, I was left little choice.

I apologize to Mr. Johnson for my flame and to all of you for having to put up
with it.