[comp.sys.mac.misc] SuperDrive

hflai@squid.ucsb.edu (Hsun-Feng Lai) (01/11/91)

	Recently I read a news from Byte which said about a superdrive designed
by Insite Perripheral, San Jose.  The floppy drive can have 20MB data
stored on a 3 1/2" disk.  Further, it can read 1.44MB and 800K disks. What a
great news for those who want the flexibility of a removable HD and a Turbo-
drive. The OEM price for it is $325 in quanty of 500. I made a phone call to
see if there is any one available for Mac users and the answer is yes. But
they are redesinging the drive now and the end users probably won't have
it until this June.  The bad thing is the retail price would be $600~$700
according to the company and each 20MB floppy disk will cost $20~$25. The
transfer rate for the drive is 600Kb/s when reading 1.44MB or 800KB and higher
when operating on the highest density.  What do you think about it? Do you
think that it will replace the 45 removable HD and Turbo drive? Let's talk
and share.

Lai
hflai@ucsb.squid.edu
hflai@ucsb.cs.edu

pfr654@csc.anu.edu.au (01/11/91)

In article <8103@hub.ucsb.edu>, hflai@squid.ucsb.edu (Hsun-Feng Lai) writes:

> 	Recently I read a news from Byte which said about a superdrive designed
> by Insite Perripheral, San Jose.  The floppy drive can have 20MB data
> stored on a 3 1/2" disk.  Further, it can read 1.44MB and 800K disks. What a

Sounds great!

Where can I buy one?
Phil Ryan 					  * No matter where
DSTO Cadet Research Student                       *  you go...
ANU Department of Physics and Theoretical Physics *
GPO Box 4, Canberra, Australia                    *... there you are.
pfr654@csc.anu.edu.au                             *
phone:06-249 4678       fax:06-249 0741           *      Buckaroo Banzai