[comp.sys.mac.misc] Stuffit Deluxe 2.0 install warning

weave@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) (01/13/91)

Just a warning...

I got upgrade in mail to 2.0 a few days ago (which I am very grateful for,
being that it was free and automatic).

My disks did NOT have a serial # on them. When you first run Deluxe, it
asks you for the serial #.  I had to do hunt for my 1.0 originals to
find this #.  If you do not supply a valid serial #, you can not run the
main application.

This could cause some obvious hassles if you archive originals off-site
and blow away your old copy of stuffit deluxe during the install.

--

lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu (Ken Lindahl 642-0866) (01/15/91)

In article <17586@brahms.udel.edu> weave@brahms.udel.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
>Just a warning...
>
>I got upgrade in mail to 2.0 a few days ago (which I am very grateful for,
>being that it was free and automatic).
>
>My disks did NOT have a serial # on them. When you first run Deluxe, it
>asks you for the serial #.  I had to do hunt for my 1.0 originals to
>find this #.  If you do not supply a valid serial #, you can not run the
>main application.
>
>This could cause some obvious hassles if you archive originals off-site
>and blow away your old copy of stuffit deluxe during the install.
>
>--

Well, I got bit by the same thing, but my original 1.0 disk was fortunately
nearby. Still, it was pretty inconsiderate not to include a line like "be
sure to have the serial number from your 1.0 disk handy when you run the
installer" in the upgrade documentation. (Yes, I actually read it BEFORE
I did the install!)

Still, all-in-all, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the looping-installer
bug in 1.0. Like several other posters to the net, I also sufferred through
this "extremely rare" problem.

And while we're on the subject (are you listening Alladdin?), what's with
that silly signature box? I certainly don't mind your including it as an
option for those who want to want to use it, but requiring me to sign it
before I can run StuffIt Deluxe pisses me off! Do you really think I can
construct a usable signature using a pencil-and-eraser bitmap editor? You
do really think I want to take the time? Get a life! Fortunately, a single
dot in the upper-left corner meets SD's requirements for a signature.
NOTE TO OTHER SD USERS: a single dot in the upper-left corner is MY signature!
Go find your own pixel! :-)

Ken Lindahl				lindahl@violet.berkeley.edu
Advanced Technology Planning,
Information Systems and Technology