[comp.sys.mac.misc] Running Windows under SoftPC--WHY??

mikef@samba.acs.unc.edu (Michael Freedburg) (01/11/91)

I use both PC and Macintosh (although I use the Mac far more). I do
software training and user support for the Macintosh, and also teach
Toolbook. Having used Windows extensively, and having used Soft-PC, I am
left with a great deal of confusion as to why anyone would want to run
Windows on their Mac??? It is so slow on an AT, especially something
like Toolbook, that I cannot see how anyone could sit through that.
Secondly, why ever use Windows on a Mac? To run Excel or PageMaker??
Corel Draw? Bitmapped fonts? Control Panel devices, what??? I am
mystified by this, the idea of running Windows under Soft-PC on your Mac
seems like such a waste of time and effort.
IF you have a compelling or interesting reason that you are doing this,
not simply the fact that "I have to use PC applications, and I have a
Mac..." since in this case you ought to get a PC, please e-mail me yoyur
(should be your) reasons. I would love to hear them!!
mikef@samba.acs.unc.edu
send all flames to gates@microsoft.com or to
bush@white.house.paid.for.by.us.taxpayers

jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeff Kain) (01/11/91)

mikef@samba.acs.unc.edu (Michael Freedburg) writes:

>Secondly, why ever use Windows on a Mac? To run Excel or PageMaker??
>Corel Draw? Bitmapped fonts?

No, no, no.  To run dbase in a DOS window.

Next question...

--
jkain@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu

james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Hammett) (01/11/91)

Last semester (?) we had a computer demonstration at our school, the Apple
reps got a copy of SoftPC and put it on a IIfx (it made a pretty good demo!:>

				james968@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (01/15/91)

In article <2203@beguine.UUCP> mikef@samba.acs.unc.edu (Michael Freedburg)
writes:
> Having used Windows extensively, and having used Soft-PC, I am
> left with a great deal of confusion as to why anyone would want to run
> Windows on their Mac???

1) Because it's there.

2) Just to piss off PC users.

David Gutierrez