[comp.sys.mac.misc] INIT conflict: CommToolBox INIT vs INIT cdev

shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) (01/10/91)

I've had weird problems with init cdev 3.0 while running the
CommToolbox.  It runs as usual, but when I want to change the inits at
startup by holding down the mouse button or space bar, instead of the
little window popping up, I get a System Error (Address Error if I
recall).  I'm pretty sure it is the CTB, because I removed all my other
INITs except init cdev and it still bombs.  Has anyone else noticed
this?  I hope Mr Rotenstein reads this newsgroup...

% t-o-m  s-h-o-r-e-s

"It's fallen and I can't get it up" --That old lady's husband

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (01/11/91)

Yes, CommToolbox and INIT cdev don't like each other if you hold the space
bar down when you boot.  One way around the problem (kind-of) is to hold
down the command key and the space bar.  The command key prevents the
CommToolbox from loading, then INIT cdev works OK (but then CTB is not
loaded...  you get the idea).

/Matt

---
Matt Kingman - Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc. - Westboro, MA 01581
Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself.....

austin@spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) (01/15/91)

In article <shores.663469142@fergvax> shores@fergvax.unl.edu (Shores) writes:
>I've had weird problems with init cdev 3.0 while running the
>CommToolbox.  It runs as usual, but when I want to change the inits at
>startup by holding down the mouse button or space bar, instead of the
>little window popping up, I get a System Error (Address Error if I
>recall).  I'm pretty sure it is the CTB, because I removed all my other
>INITs except init cdev and it still bombs.  Has anyone else noticed
>this?  I hope Mr Rotenstein reads this newsgroup...

This also happens with INITPicker.  The solution is simple:
  Use ResEdit and increase the size in the sysz resource (it's a longint)

The problem is actually in the Package Mgr. -- if there isn't enough memory
to load the package, it gets called anyway!

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
|   Macintosh Wizard            |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |