[comp.sys.mac.misc] How to increase the number of open files

daniel@vicorp.com (Daniel Dee) (01/12/91)

I am trying to run Managing Your Money and CheckFree at
the same time in Multifinder. Apparently, these programs
each open a lot of files and the system is complaining
about the number of open files has been exceeded. Is there
a way to increase the limit on the Mac? Any information
will be appreciated. Thanks.

-- Daniel

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (01/13/91)

Use a utility like Suitcase II and go to the "Settings", then "Power User Settings" Dialog box. There is some caution about not running out of memory,
"each one over 12 uses 300K of RAM whether used or not.. .

I don't know why, etc.
'later

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) (01/14/91)

In article <10312@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dwade@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Doug Wade) writes:

>	I didn't see the message that this is in reference to, so I can't
>attest to its accuracy in any case, but it's 300 bytes, not 300 K bytes.
>Probably just a typo, but I can see lots of people getting confused over
>this.

Oops! That's right. It's 300 bytes, not K. I should have been more careful.
300K is a hefty chunk of memory, for sure. This message is available when
selecting a number greater than 12 open files at a time in Suitcase II.

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (01/14/91)

nwc1@quads.uchicago.edu (einsturzende neubaten) writes to All:

EN> Use a utility like Suitcase II and go to the "Settings", then
EN> "Power User Settings" Dialog box. There is some caution about
EN> not running out of memory, "each one over 12 uses 300K of RAM
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^
EN> whether used or not.. .

uh, that's 300 BYTES.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

kostas@ux1.lbl.gov (Konstantinos Papamichael) (01/15/91)

I thought that the original question referred to the message "...too many
open files...," or something like that.  I do not know what kind of files are
meant in this message.  I think that through the settings options of Suitcase
one can specify the maximum number of Suitcase files that may be open.  If the
files meant in the message "...too many open files..." are not Suitcase files
then I question the effectiveness of the proposed approach to solving the
original problem the way I understand it and ...experience it.  Anyone for
clarifications?  Thank you.

|--------------------------------------|-------|-------------------------------|
| Konstantinos Papamichael             | | | | |  Phone: (415) 486-6854        |
| 90-3111 Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory | |-| | |    FAX: (415) 486-4089        |
| Berkeley, CA  94720                  | | | | | E-Mail: k_papamichael@lbl.gov |
|--------------------------------------|-------|-------------------------------|

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (01/16/91)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 14-Jan-91 Re: How to increase
> the num.. K. Papamichael@ux1.lbl.g (970)

> I thought that the original question referred to the message "...too many
> open files...," or something like that.  I do not know what kind of files are
> meant in this message.  I think that through the settings options of
> Suitcase one can specify the maximum number of Suitcase files that may
> be open.  If the files meant in the message "...too many open files..."
> are not Suitcase files then I question the effectiveness of the proposed
> approach to solving the original problem the way I understand it and
> ...experience it.  Anyone for clarifications?  Thank you.

The problem is with any kind of open files.... Because Suitcase can be
used to open a lot of files, it provides a way to increase the number of
possible open files.... this setting works whether or not the files in
question are Suitcase files.

-Vincent Del Vecchio
vd09@andrew.cmu.edu
#include "stdsig.h"