[comp.sys.mac.misc] Possible Bug in MS Word 4.0B

dsb@mbunix.mitre.org (01/16/91)

I want to change the case of a section of text. I type in some text
(lowercase). Then I hit shift <F10> (ALL CAPS). Bang, the text goes to
uppercase. Shift <F10> again the text is back as lowercase.

Now type some text as uppercase. Shift <F10>. Nothing.

What is going on ? Is there something I am missing ?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
-Scott

Scott Blodgett				 											              The MITRE Corporation
dsb@mbunix.mitre.org			                     (617) 271 - 4960

jay@ut-emx.uucp (Jay Boisseau) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.134832.23438@linus.mitre.org>, dsb@mbunix.mitre.org writes
> I want to change the case of a section of text. I type in some text
> (lowercase). Then I hit shift <F10> (ALL CAPS). Bang, the text goes to
> uppercase. Shift <F10> again the text is back as lowercase.
>
> Now type some text as uppercase. Shift <F10>. Nothing.
>
> What is going on ? Is there something I am missing ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
> -Scott

When you type the text as lower case, you are entering different characters
than when you type in the corresponding uppercase letters (think of it
terms of ascii codes, if that helps).  The character format 'uppercase'
does not change the characters codes, it merely changes the way they
appear on the screen, just as the other character formats change the
appearance (bold, italics, etc.).

Therefore, if you type in upercase case letters to begin with, you can
still apply the character format 'uppercase'... only the change in appear-
ance will not be a change (changing uppercase letters to look like
uppercase clearly won't do anything).  When you remove that style, you
DO remove the character formatting 'uppercase', and your original
characters remain... which were uppercase, in your example.

The key is to think of the format 'uppercase' just as you would 'bold'.
If you remove the format, your original characters remain (upper- or
lowercase).

Jay Boisseau
jay@emx.utexas.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan16.134832.23438@linus.mitre.org> dsb@mbunix.mitre.org writes:
|I want to change the case of a section of text. I type in some text
|(lowercase). Then I hit shift <F10> (ALL CAPS). Bang, the text goes to
|uppercase. Shift <F10> again the text is back as lowercase.
|
|Now type some text as uppercase. Shift <F10>. Nothing.
|
|What is going on ? Is there something I am missing ?

Yes.  Review the command you are using; it is "All Caps", not "Change Case".

In Word, "All Caps" is a character style, just like "italic" or "bold" are
character styles.

In the first example, you typed in lower case text, applied the "All Caps"
style, and noted that it chagned to upper case.  When that style is removed
by issuing the command again, the text reverts to lower case, as it was
originally entered.

In the second example, upper case text is given the "All Caps" style, which has
no visible effect, since the text is all caps to begin with.  However, that run
of text now posesses the "All Caps" style, which means that any lower case
text added within it will appear in upper case.

More redundant examples:

I type this:		Shift <F10> once:	Shift <F10> again:

this is a test		THIS IS A TEST		this is a test
This is a Test		THIS IS A TEST		This is a Test

Now, a really long, "following the bouncing ball" example.

Type this in Word:

A short sentence.

Select it and hit shift <F10>.  It will change to:

A SHORT SENTENCE.

Now, put the insertion point after "SHORT" and type, _in_lowercase_, the word
"meaningless"; you will note that as you type these unshifted letters they
appear in uppercase.  The screen will look like:

A SHORT MEANINGLESS SENTENCE.

Select the sentence and hit Shift <F10>; it will change to:

A short meaningless sentence.

"meaningless" changed to lowercase because it was originally entered as
lowercase text.

Hit Shift <F10> again to turn the sentence to uppercase again; then put the
insertion point after "MEANINGLESS", engage the CAPS LOCK key, and add the
word "ENGLISH".  The sentence should read:

A SHORT MEANINGLESS ENGLISH SENTENCE.

If you select the sentence and hit Shift <F10> yet again,  it will become:

A short meaningless ENGLISH sentence.

"ENGLISH" did not change because it was originally entered as shifted letters.

So to sum up this overly long explanation:

The "All Caps" style changes the selected text from its case as entered [lower
or upper] to all upper case.  If the text is already in uppercase, you will
notice no effect, unless you start adding text.

chaz

--
Someone please release me from this trance.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone