[comp.sys.mac.misc] Smart Alarms

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Unoki) (01/10/91)

I am having problems installing Smart Alarms 3.0.4 on my Mac IIci system.
I installed everything as per the instructions. The Appointments DA works,
but the SmartAlarms DA does not appear under the apple menu. None of the
Smart Alarms folders are created.  I have made sure that I have less than
15 DAs installed.  I have removed ALL inits/cdevs without success. 8-(

Anyone else have similar problems? solutions?

My system consists of the following:
  Mac IIci
  4mb RAM
  RasterOps ClearVue/GS 19" display system
  LaCie Cirrus 72mb disk

Much mahalo (thanks) in advance...

--

Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Leonard M. Riggins) (01/10/91)

In article <3533@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert Unoki) writes:
>I am having problems installing Smart Alarms 3.0.4 on my Mac IIci system.
>Anyone else have similar problems? solutions?

Yep, a friend is having similar problems only the machine is a IIsi.
Numerous calls to tech support haven't helped.  Solution is to abandon it
and go with Alarming Events.

--
Maurice      INTERNET:    lriggins@blackbird.afit.af.mil (129.92.1.2)

      Opinions expressed here do not reflect those of my employer nor
      constitute an official position of any U.S.Government agency.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) (01/12/91)

I have not been following this discussion,but I thought I should mention my
experiences with difficulties loading Smart Alarms.

I found that no matter what I tried, Smart Alarms (SA) would beep at boot-up
and not load.  I found that my Mac's SYSTEM HEAP was to small for all the
INITs and CDEVs I've been adding to it.  To confirm this on your Mac,do the
following:   go to your desktop and pull down the Apple menu.
Choose "About the Finder."  Look at the thermometer bar next to the system.
If it does not have atleast 30% of white space in it, then that is an
indication that your system heap may not have enough memory to allow the

What you may need to do is increase the size of your system heap with the
program "HeapFixer" by CE Software.  Once you get HeapFixer, follow its
instructions to increase your heap size.  Re-boot, and see if your INIT

Good Luck.

						Jim Collymore

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (01/13/91)

In article <154@atux01.UUCP>, jlc@atux01.UUCP (Jim Collymore) writes:
> Choose "About the Finder."  Look at the thermometer bar next to the system.
> If it does not have atleast 30% of white space in it, then that is an
> indication that your system heap may not have enough memory...
>
> What you may need to do is increase the size of your system heap with the
> program "HeapFixer" by CE Software.

Where do I obtain HeapFixer from?  I checked all of the major mail order
places, but it is not listed anywhere.  Is it part of a utilities package?
Is there any public domain/shareware utility that will achieve the same
effect?  Thanks in advance...

rob

magik@chinet.chi.il.us (Ben Liberman) (01/14/91)

In article <3647@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) writes:

>Where do I obtain HeapFixer from?  I checked all of the major mail order
>places, but it is not listed anywhere.  Is it part of a utilities package?
>Is there any public domain/shareware utility that will achieve the same
>effect?  Thanks in advance...

HeapFixer is a product of CE Software.  Their phone number, in 1988 was
(515) 224-1995.  There are at least 2 PD/shareware utilities that I know of.

Bootman is a freeware program.
Heaptool is a shareware INIT/CDEV.

Both are available on GEnie and should be available eleswhere.  (or I'll
email them on request)

I tried email to you but it bounced.

If I get enought requests, I'll post these to comp.binaries.mac
(does nettiqutte allow shareware there?)

--
	------------    ------------   ----------------------
	Ben Liberman    USENET         magik@chinet.chi.il.us

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (01/17/91)

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) writes:

> Where do I obtain HeapFixer from?  I checked all of the major mail order
> places, but it is not listed anywhere.  Is it part of a utilities package?
> Is there any public domain/shareware utility that will achieve the same
> effect?  Thanks in advance...

HeapFixer is a utility by CE Software and is shipped with many of their
packages (i.e., QuickMail, QuicKeys 2, etc.) and not as a standalone
product. If you don't own any of their software, there is an equivalent
called BootMan which does exactly what HeapFixer does plus more. You should
be able to find BootMan at sumex or on any of the online services such as
America Online, CompuServe, GEnie and AppleLink.

John

--
John A. Starta        Internet: tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu
Software Visionary        UUCP: ncar!noao!asuvax!tosh!starta